1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Argyle v Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Come on sensible I can't wait any longer.

Growing injury list again for this game....bad boy Carey one match ban...C Grant, Sarcevic, Ness, plus long term injuries Sawyer, Wootton, Riley and Edwards still.

Derek Adams has a mid-field problem to overcome this week with Sarcevic and Ness unavailable.

Lameiras will at least get a start I hope this week.

Got a bad feeling about this one....and also a resurgent Oxford in the Cup soon.....I think we will still be in the bottom four come the new year.....and I don't think any of us predicted that.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Strewth plym you're like a prophet of doom. Don't know where you get it from.

Be interesting on the touchline this weekend with Adams the wind up merchant and Joey Barton the stroppy git.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Typical that the Fox, Sarcevic, Ness, Taylor diamond, which has been touted as the reason for the strong middle section of last season, was nearly there ...

but has evaporated again.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

4. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

No idea for this one (but what's new!) . Long list of unavailable Players (but what's new). Going to be a miserable day weather wise (but what's new!).

Fleetwood (with their biggish budget) are on an indifferent run of form and we are ...well, we are Argyle. Think we might nick a 1-0.

5. notDistantGreen

Steady rain here atm. Grey, grey and more grey.

6. notDistantGreen

Now 2pm. Rain forecast for a further 2 hours!

7. notDistantGreen

Moore and Smith-Brown in full back positions. Riley on the bench.

Sarcevic and Ness surprisingly both fit on what will be a heavier pitch than usual.

Lameiras in for Carey.

Ladapo starts, Taylor, Jephcott and Wylde on the bench.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

0-0 H/T......no goals given away as yet.....:emoticon-0169-dance.

Reports that neither side are playing very well.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0....Ladapo.....73mins.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-0....Ladapo.....81mins.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1....Madden.....84mins.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

2-1....F/T.....as long as I don't predict a win....things go ok.

13. notDistantGreen

Dreadful game in most part. Crowd quiet and Argyle nervous.

We struggled to play out from the back in the 1st half and a better side than Fleetwood would have punished us. When we did get the ball forward, we looked the better side but dominate we did not.

Argyle had a strong last 5 minutes of the first half and the team went off to a warm If not ecstatic reception.

Highlight of the 1st 45 was a crunching tackle by Reuben Lameiras. Who knew that was possible?

The second was a little better and eventually Ladapo got what his constant trying deserved: a curling shot that hissed down the side netting for 1-0.

At last the Devonport End out shouted the 7 Fleetwood fans at the other end.

Adams then did what he does best and infuriated the crowd by taking Lameiras off for Taylor.

Ladapo went out wide and guess what? He ran riot. Freed of the need to battle the CBs, he gave Fleetwood a torrid 10 minutes, scoring a second which he richly deserved.

Of course, being Argyle, the ball was given away and Fleetwood scored to make for a tense end to a game that was poor overall.

Still 3 points... and just as well given other results.

Two strikers next week?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  14. notDistantGreen

Just reviewing the comments from PAFC fans on Twitter during and after the game.

Far more positive than I'd expect really. Some even make Smith-Brown MoM. Hmmmm.

I thought we were terrible in the full back positions.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't agree that it was an awful game notdistant. It wasn't a dominant performance perhaps but it was quite end to end at times and until somebody scored it could have gone either way with Argyle perhaps shading that assessment. I thought we weren't brilliant but we weren't that bad either. You could see the nerves were there it's true and given our position and the last result that I guess is hardly surprising. We were hesitant at times when a positive play could have relieved a tense situation. We were well worth the result however and I thought Smith-Brown actually did ok. Far better than his opposite number Moore who again looked weak. They certainly targetted him once more and the number of cross field balls played in his direction where 2 Fleetwood players were there to collect was becoming a habit more than a ploy. I do not like Moore. As for the rest well I think they did qite well and we should once more have had a penalty which we didn't get. I am not sure what we have to do to get one. I was wondering where the goal would come from. We had been on top for a while but without a break coming our way. How do you get a rebound to fall for you instead of against? But at last Freddie took a chance and blasted it past a very good keeper who had kept Fleetwood in the game. I thought that would be it. But, I don't think Freddie knew much about the second but for once something went our way. We then got very nervous and the one back was almost inevitable. Not much to worry about after that however and not sure where 5 minutes extra came from. We saw it out and it was a good 3 points. Fleetwood looked every inch a Joey Barton side. Could get very narkey and physical if need must and one or two were lucky to not get booked, Even a red might have been offered on another day. Thought the Ref was ok today however even if lenient at times. Was quite even handed for a change.

Good result and some others went our way so decent day. Need to follow it up on Tuesday now.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Questiom for Lyndy. The tanoy system is not fit for anything when it comes to halftime and announcements. You cannot hear any of the 50/50 draw or interview with whoever it is on the day. When the Rememberance day was on the Vicar in the middle of the pitch was perfectly audible. What is wrong with the system and is it ever going to be put right? If they piped "Abandon Ship" nobody would move.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Weren't they aware of that and waiting until the Grandstand was refurbished before dealing with it ?

18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Crucial win yesterday and need to get out of the relegation zone asap. Hope the board and DA ready for some decent signings soon!

19. notDistantGreen

You have to say though that Home Park was the proverbial library yesterday Sensible, until we scored of course.

Our problems are primarily in the back half of the side. I"m hoping that Hallett will look kindly at a couple of defenders and midfielders, both to shore up a defence that's uncertain at times and let us move the ball upfield better.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Did those that go yesterday feel that we missed Carey at all.

I fail to understand why Adams took off our other playmaker Lameiras....ok it didn't backfire this time.....but just imagine if Fleetwood had scored a second or even a winner what the comments would have been.