1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Are you a happy F****r?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Apr 18, 2017.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

With their Championship status having been all but secured by beating the Brewers 2-1 on Friday night, did he feel the shackles were off for his players? “Maybe, that’s a good story. But I thought we played well on Friday night when the shackles were on good and proper and if we’d have lost we’d got Newcastle coming. We played well on Friday night. “That’s a little bit unjust to say that, although it may well have happened. They are feeling it a bit and I did say to the lads there are 25,000 coming here to watch. “I said, ‘Not us by the way, I’m sure none of the f****rs are coming to watch us the way we’ve been playing here. So if that’s the case, I’m not bothered about that but make sure they’re talking about us when they go home, in a positive manner, and make sure they’ve come and they’ve enjoyed watching us’.” “So for whatever reason it’s a good performance. I can’t get to the bottom of it and tell you why. Maybe it’s the fact that David McGoldrick’s in his pomp and playing great and Freddie and Tom Lawrence and Wardy, I thought the front four were excellent. Anyway, I’m not really bothered about the reason why, I’m just delighted we did.” - See more at: http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31556/mccarthy-fitting-tribute-to-sir-bobby/page:3/#comm

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

He's not doing himself any favours atm. I've never felt he's had any real affinity with the club other than we pay his wages.

He even took a dig at the fans when talking about Sir Bobby before the match. This is what Mick fails to understand about football:

"What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

“It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

That great quote from Sir Bobby is for me why I have never warmed to Mick as he's just on a different page when it comes to his football philosophy, he takes the joy out of the game. If I'd been taken to Ipswich for my first game when I was a youngster and Mick was in charge I'm pretty sure not only would I not be an ITFC fan I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been into football at all. I certainly wouldn't have fallen in love with the game!!

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I was delighted when he was first appointed and my running battles with Spanish at the time proved that fact. We were in serious danger of relegation when he arrived and his philosophy was what was needed at that time. Fast forward to now and he is totally unsuited to ITFC and has taken our club as far as he can. He never refers to ITFC as "US" but always "THEM" which gives the impression that he doesn't belong here!

4. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Can't say I was ever really enthusiastic about his appointment,he got us out of a hole but hasn't shown he has a real plan to take us forward.I have been counting the days until he goes for quite some time.

5. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

If we can put in consistent performances like that of yesterday he's welcome to stay. Not too worried about the manager not being overly sentimental about the club but his PR with the fans isn't great and I think his ego gets the better of him at times. He should just come out and say I understand the fans frustration blah blah...we're working hard to put things right blah blah.

San Diego and fieldmarshall like this.
  6. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I feel the same Castro in fact ive never been particularly worried who the manager is they come and go, and as you say if we can get more performances like the last then I don't have a problem with MM.
    I'm off to Rotherham on Saturday and I really hope we go about the game with the same intensity we saw against Newcastle.

San Diego and Castro Sito like this.
  7. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

The trouble is that Micks default position is boring safety first non-football so as soon as something goes a little bit wrong it's back to Hooooooooooooooooooooof.

Castro Sito and Bigalreigned like this.
  8. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Totally agree Weighty,if I think how much I spent on my Season Ticket and compare it with how many games I've actually enjoyed,value for money is the very last thing that springs to mind.

9. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away we were good yesterday but it wasn't an outstanding performance. We had no control of the midfield and couldn't keep the ball for longer than 10 seconds.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  10. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I believe that McCarthy's reign has come to a natural end now. I was supportive of him when he first came here four and a bit years ago. He's been better than the last two muppets, that's for sure, but the last 18 months has proved we need to move in a new direction.

I could handle his negative style of football if we were regularly winning games. I could handle our position in the table if we were bringing through promising youngsters and building something here. I could even handle his arrogance and frequent, sweary asides to the supporters if I felt he was justified. But he isn't. He gives off the impression that he doesn't want to be here. In most other football clubs, he'd have been sacked by now. But we also happen to have one of the most apathetic, elusive, and out-of-touch owners in the division. This is an owner who doesn't turn up to most of the games and, even if he did, I bet most of our fans wouldn't even recognise him.

San Diego likes this.

11. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Nuggets, i would put him on a par with the last two, his brand of football is no better, results.....ok but style no and as a person, he is a horrible gobshite of a man!
    As for Newcatle game, i thought we were ok, better than most games this season but please dont think we were good because we wasnt! We were just above average but fortunately we caught newcastle on a good day, they were absolute gash!
    The guy has alienated himself from the fans and for many, enough is enough. We need to act before we lose many fans forever!
    Mick out regardless!

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Mick was the right man 4and a half years ago......he was hired with the target to keep us up....he did.......but his target seems to be the same each season.....survival is the aim anything else is a massive bonus.....he complained that he should have gained some good will for keeping us up that first season......in my opinion he has had plenty of good will much more than he would anywhere else........if his hands are being tied by Tightwad Evans then man up Mick and say just that.

13. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Definitely rather Mick than the last two clowns - jesus christ. Goes without saying.

However his comments after the Newcastle game will have done little to endear himself to many - I often defend the guy however while I understand what he was intending, surely he's been in the game long enough and is generally pretty canny in what he says to have massively let himself down - on Sir Bobby day of all days. Deary me Mr McCarthy .... we're a family club and you've been here long enough to understand that or you would think.

Also rightly pointed out his use of " them and us " - you're the gafa, try to pull people together. Give people a little bit of love back, it goes a long way in this industry.

I'm not remotely amused by these comments either. Very poor taste.

Nuggets likes this.