1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we grinding out results or are we just getting lucky?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Minty Fresh, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

A lot has been said about how we performed awfully last night but still got a decent result. It has been like this all season. We didn't perform brilliantly against Arsenal, Sunderland or Fulham either yet we now have 8 points and are unbeaten this season.

The question is, has Pardew made us hard to beat, or have we just been lucky?

Personally I think it is a mixture of both. Pardew deserves some credit for making us very organised and compact, but we also could have lost 3/4-0 if QPR hadn't squandered so many chances last night.

Whatever the answer is, I think the two men who deserve the most credit for our unbeaten start to the season are Stevie Taylor and Colloccini. They have been solid as rocks and have a brilliant partnership together.

2. Spiderman-Mask

Spiderman-Mask Well-Known Member

I think we are grinding them out but with a bit of fortune. Taylor and Simpson made crucial blocks yesterday. If those had hit the post then it would be entirely luck

3. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Both I suppose

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Both. Who cares its getting the points that matter. I just think we're a new team still trying to gel. We have a solid base which has meant we grind well (move your body one time now - sorry that was terrible) There is no doubt teams have squandered some good chances but we are no where near our levels yet. Obertan is settling, Tiote off the pace and in pre season still, Raylor to come out for Santon, Cabaye settling and waiting for Tiote to spark to release him etc. It'll all come together if we're patient and don't get on their backs. We're doing well and I'll take our slice of luck because there'll come a time when we thinks the worlds against us. Lets help them gel and settle by getting behind them Some of the Pardew comments are unfair. He cocked up against QPR, big deal. He'll learn from it. Problem is we're all armchair experts and perfectionists!

5. Ameobi's Apprentice

Ameobi's Apprentice Active Member

Bit of both, if that had been Man U or Man City getting chances like QPR did, then we would've got hammered. May the luck continue!

6. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Bit of both, but last year we wouldn't have done this so I think we are getting more efficient which points to grinding the results out more.

7. Jonnyaiston

Jonnyaiston Well-Known Member

Hugely lucky last night, not going to complain about getting that bit of luck mind. We are a bit tougher to beat as well which is good to see.

8. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

lucky last night but been defensively good in the other games

9. I Sit Next To A Badger-Leazes Corner

We're getting the points early which is important but **** me are we poor upfront.

Best and Shola are lazy and I feel like we have been mugged with Ba, and he was free!

Anyone who thinks we have been good so far is just deluded. I am seriously worried that when we play a team with a proper strike and premier league class, we'll be ****ed. Starting on Saturday.

Last night proved that we needed a striker. The back 5 won't be able to perform all season and will get torn apart at times(some cracks appeared last night) but they have been our saviour so far.

Santon needs to come in, Gutierrez needs to buck his ideas up(nothing new there) and Marveaux has to come in for Obertan.

Ba has to start next game instead of Shola, he needs to be given a real chance whilst properly fit before we can make a proper judgement on the lad.

10. HowayTheLads

HowayTheLads Active Member

Sorry, can't agree with the point about Best being lazy. He puts in a shift whenever he plays and was having to drop into midfield last night to try and get the ball and was unlucky not to score. Totally agree about Shola though.

11. Arfa's Left Foot

Arfa's Left Foot Active Member

This. Best is working himself into the ground. Shola is falling to the ground and walking about.

12. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Both. We're not dominating sides but neither are we playing as badly as people like to think, and of course, are riding our luck at times. Best 3 players have been Colo, Taylor and Krul, and that tells it's own story.

As for Best, he isnt lazy, and is quite tricky (can beat a man in the box) for his size. Could be more of an all round player than has been suggested IMO.

13. Jesus Was A Geordie

Jesus Was A Geordie Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't accept the Best being lazy comment! Stick any player up front on his own, with Shola as support and give him the deliveries Best is getting - you'd not see much better 2/4 return I don't think! Was very unlucky not to score after great work last night as well!

14. Tiote's Witch Doctor

Tiote's Witch Doctor Well-Known Member

We are very poor at times and have been fortune in large chunks to have picked up the amount of points we have so far, I think the main reason we have managed to though is due to Saylor and Colo at the back, they have both been absolute rocks, when Santon comes in it might improve even more, heres hoping!

15. beardface

beardface Active Member

Hopefully the likes of Cabaye is still getting used to the premiership and Tiote and Ba will improve now they as they have no excuses, and we should see us pushing on performing well in the final third rather than just the defensive third. <ok>

16. Tiote's Witch Doctor

Tiote's Witch Doctor Well-Known Member

I think Ben Arfa will be the missing piece of the puzzle when he comes back, well in theory he should be, hes exactly the kind of player we need because we are lacking that creative spark at present, hopefully we'll eventually have Tiote back to his best giving Cabaye the opportunity to link with Ben Arfa could be lethal.

A lot rests on Ben Arfa though we need to make sure we dont re-introduce him too fast.

17. Jonnyaiston

Jonnyaiston Well-Known Member

You have already made your judgement on Ba? Bit of a contradiction.

I don't think Jonas is helped with having to attempt to bail Raylor out so often every game.

I agree about Obertan, he's not been good at all (never expected him to, still time though and hopes he proves me wrong).

18. The Situation

The Situation Active Member

I must have been watching a different game, Im aware he looks like a dinosaur but he was one of the best players on the pitch the other day... he had no support and was over-ran and yet was always a good outlet.

19. Arfa's Left Foot

Arfa's Left Foot Active Member

I can't agree with that. He doesn't look all that pacy, he never attempts to beat the man. I'm aware he is quick, but he won't ever run at players, it's always the small easy pass inside. Zero creativity from him at all. He was so lazy on Monday as well.

20. abc CissesCurriedGoat abc

abc CissesCurriedGoat abc Well-Known Member

Obertan reminds me of a young N'Zogbia in his first few years...And Strolla's always going to be Strolla..let's just pray that at least Best is going to stay fit or Ba will come good, lest we end up with Strolla + Mcloven strike force all the way till January....that's going to be a disaster..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.