1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Approach to playing the top clubs

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by terryb, Sep 16, 2014.

1. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

I have seen on various postings/boards this week that some people feel we should write off all matches against the top seven this season & just concerntrate on the other games.

This gives me some concerns as that would mean that to avoid relegation we have to gain thirty eight points from tweny four games. Or to put it another way, we would require a win every other game plus drawing at least two other games.

Does anyone really think that we will win more of those matches than we lose? Especially bearing in mind our away performances.

I don't think that we can simply write off the fourteen games against the top sides. Therefore, please can we actually try in those matches. Scrambling six points from them would make life so much easier for us.

2. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

We wouldn't have survived three years ago had we written off Liverpool, Spurs, Everton etc.

I'd also argue it's a top 7 so that means it would be even more crucial to eke out extra draws and wins against the odds.

I'll accept defeat but I cannot accept complacency of defeat - let the assumed victors be complacent. Big teams don't just lose to big teams so there are points to be won. All bonus points but it happens often enough to justify an effort.

3. optimistichoop

I have to agree too much respect I would rather we had a go sadly Hoilet and Philips ( both with loads of pace ) did not deliver/hold on to the ball/bring Charlie into the game

4. Loftus Toad

Loftus Toad Active Member

No way. Go out to win every game. Otherwise supporters are being mugged off. Nothing like a random giant - killing to boost morale.

5. Rollercoaster Ranger

Rollercoaster Ranger Well-Known Member

I think I probably saw the same post Terry. If we write off the matches home and away against the top 7, win all our other home matches, draw all the other away matches we end up on 48 points. that maybe gives us a margin of error of 10 points - we've already lost 3 of them at home to Hull.

I think that sort of approach will induce panic far too early into proceedings, although I am keeping track of it for my own amusement!

6. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

We need to press them out of our half but not to high or deep. We need to get some shots on target early on, even if we to shoot them from a distance, just to unnerve the defence and keeper.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It's pretty joyless way of looking a something which should be entertainment lads. And a complete insult to paying fans to write off 14 out of 38 games. As well as being a guarantee we really will lose all 14 of them, if the main aim is to avoid getting injured or booked.

8. mapleranger

mapleranger Well-Known Member

Play to win.

Some you won't but some you might - we have in the last 3 years taken Spurs, the Scum, Everton and come within 2 minutes of beating Man CIty in their house for the title. Even if you try and fail, at least you tried and the result is no worse than if you wrote those matches off in the first place

9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Can't we just not turn up?

10. Vale_Hoops

Vale_Hoops Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is saying capitulate against the top sides but after lose like we had at the weekend it needed to be put in perspective, I never mark us down for getting anything away to Man Utd. However I would be expecting to pick up some points, especially at home, from the top 7.

I agree that the pressing game is the best option, it looked like we attempted to sit and have the wide men exploit the space behind which was working for the first 20 mins. Again, I was disappointed in the lack of tactical change when needed, I think the manager should always have a plan B up his sleeve which he can change to quickly in case of trouble, we seem to have to wait until half time.

11. Ruislip R

Ruislip R Member

Last season i paid good money for myself and my son to go to Everton away in the FA Cup, this game gave me exactly the same feeling.
    They didn't turn up!! It makes you feel sick in the gut to know the effort you put in to spend your money on the team you love only to find out that they are not interested in putting anything into the game, we also went away to other games, we got beat at Aston Villa but come away knowing the boys had a real go and would have got something bar a couple of individual errors, this is acceptable and you can walk away sad, but happy knowing they done their best.

12. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks that Harry went to OT to lose then you have a serious reality problem. Don't believe everything you read, otherwise you will become as dim as the people that write such rubbish.

13. Ruislip R

Ruislip R Member

You didnt need to read anything, if you can't see with your own eyes in the first 10 mins of the game you need to watch more football.
    To win football matches you need a certain amount of desire, there was none! FACT

14. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Totally agree, but my point was that to suggest that the team talk and tactics were that we want to lose today is pony.

15. Grifter

Grifter Well-Known Member

Play our normal game, home and away. That's the only way to achieve consistency of performance.
    ...yes, opposition grounds might be a bit bigger, and their fans might be a bit noisier. But it's 11 men, on a patch of grass. We shouldn't entirely morph into a different effing entity for the sake of our adversaries. That's cowardly stuff