1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Any pool players on here?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by blackcatsteve, Jun 6, 2014.

1. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

I used to be in pool teams years ago but I just used a snooker cue. I'm OK, not pro standard but could hold my own, but when I was in the pool teams was 15+ Years ago and I have played very little since.

I was out the other night in the Isabella in Blyth and the captain of the A team was in, it was near the end of the night and i was rat arsed on jagerbombs and Guiness. Thought why the hell not, had 1 frame, got beat (just) but I got on the team.

As its been that long since I played, I don't have a cue anymore, been looking but its a head doer, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations, most advice on the net is for American pool where the balls are a lot heavier/bigger so they recommend 13.5" tips, but those are too big for British pool (I think) but I would still like a pool cue with a bit of decal, doesn't have to be extravagant. (Not a snooker cue).

Price max £100 if possible, can't afford a lot more and I have seen them for £2700 but that is far too steep.

I have looked on the Geordie pool shop but their choice is very limited, but if someone has knowledge of them I might look a bit closer.

Cheers.

2. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

I have a lush slate bed pool table, blue felt with marble balls our lass is dying for me to sell, coin operated

I'm **** hot at pool like, 7 balled grandpops a few times, he goes in a right huff

3. blackcatsteve

Nice I would love my own table, and I have 7 balled a few in my time, in my younger days when I was hustling, but hustling can be bad for year or health so packed it in.

Cues are a bloody nightmare though. That many permutations etc.

http://www.geordiepool.co.uk/

And eBay I have been looking at.

4. C19RK73

Have a look for a burroughs & watts

Cant go wrong

5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I used to be a pretty decent pool player when I used to play regularly many moons ago. I still play now and again, but I'm not as good as I used to be.

6. blackcatsteve

Cheapest cue is £175, bit steep for me, if I start winning ****e I may take the plunge.

7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

regarding the best pool cue, I'm sorry but I can't give you any tips..

8. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I have played pool in the past.i have played with top class players couple england internationals. I was not that good but could certainly win my few in my day.i played with a power glider international cost 37 quid in 1974.my pool days are well gone but my brother is still hanging on inn with the big boys wins a few but the new breed are just that one step up.the pool club in chester le street will give you good info on buying a cue .go vist on a Wednesday after 8pm and have a chat with the players there all good lads and some lasses . <bubbly>

9. blackcatsteve

Thanks for the advice but I live in Blyth and can't drive so getting to and more importantly back from chester-le-street would be a nightmare for me.

Might just get a £40 cue and case, see how I do as it has been years, if I can get into it again and win some games then that might be the time to upgrade to something better.

10. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I used to drink with Mark Gray's dad. That's all I know about pool.

11. blackcatsteve

I was looking at graphite cues but the general consensus on the net is don't bother, they don't warp as easily as a wood cue, but you can't get enough English (sidespin, why its called English I have no idea) with them.

As its the D-day anniversary i might get this one, called spitfire so as good a reason as any :)

http://www.geordiepool.co.uk/products-page/cues/pool-cues/the-spitfire-pool-cue

12. C19RK73

13. blackcatsteve

Very tempted but my wife would probably stick it where the sun doesn't shine Lol

Will think about it for a bit. But cheers anyway.

14. C19RK73

Dont jump in yet then would be my advice, share a cue with a teamate (they wont mind) if your still into it then spend that little bit for what you want mate after a bit

You could be flash in the pan man like my fatha

15. blackcatsteve

Nah I know I'm good and I know I will get hooked again, been there before but was with **** teams so I would win but the other 5 would **** it up lol

Its just a hell of a risk buying a cue for that price without trying it first, might be a great cue but I might hate it.

Like golf I tried a £1000 set of ping and couldn't hit anything, I tried a £500 set of lynx (on the comeback now) and I loved them.

16. C19RK73

I used to go to school down south with a now semi-pro snooker player and his business is making cues, dunno if its just snooker or if he does pool cues aswell, could drop a line if you like

17. blackcatsteve

Don't go to any trouble all I know is 13 MM tip and 18-19oz for a decent player, 20-22 for a beginner. But that is for American 9 ball pool, not British 8 ball, like I mentioned balls in America are a lot bigger and heavier, I struggled big time when I went to Florida a few years back.

And that cue is for American pool, it even says that in the description. So a risk at £125.

18. C19RK73

No trouble, i'll send him a pm, just had a baby so cant expect a quick response

19. blackcatsteve

20. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

Been playing 8 ball and 9 ball Pool for 35 years now bud...and for Cleveland County at the moment.

I've just read your link.....however, I've just got in from being out on the lash.

I'll have another read tomorrow and see what I can do kidda.

Speak soon !