1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Another winger

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by BrightredRickster, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Scunthorpe winger Martyn Woolford is currently being chased by us, according to Sky.

This says that either Rose is injured worse than we thought, or that he is about to be shipped back.
    Its a good move for a talented 25 year old, proper signing, and suggests we will not try to sign Rosey at the end of the season.
    Shame. I like Rose, although I am aware that not everyone does.

I'm just slightly nervous that we are in for yet another winger, at a time when our defence and midfield are so stretched.
    I would rather have seen the engine room sorted out, but maybe that will happen through a loan. If the right midfield players are not available then we cant sign one, and the same goes for defenders.

Good that we're signing young(ish) stars though, which suggests that we are still building for the future.

2. RedBrizzleRobin

RedBrizzleRobin New Member

Woolford would be cheaper than rose and while I can't say if he's a better player he's probably a better winger than Rose is.

On OTIB there's a rumour (wouldn't call it much more than that) that a Midlands club has put a bid in for Skuse. I'd be happy with this (not because I dislike him as I think he is a good player despite his performances so far this season) as I think that our central midfield could really do with an overhaul, as its still no better than when we started our first season in the Championship and it has finally caught up with us. This won't happen but IMO we need a LB, CB, creative MF if were going to give ourself's the best chance of survival. I'd expect maybe a few outgoings though to make room for any more signings. Could be an exciting day ahead.

Saying that now we probably won't sign anyone :emoticon-0183-swear

3. National N1

National N1 Active Member

I notice on wiki that woolford can play in a few positions but is primarily a left winger

Bednar is not happening though as millen has came out and said

4. BrightredRickster

Koegh !
    Thank you doctor

5. redexile

redexile Member

We had four wingers at one stage, and I though JML was bought because he could play on the left and could use his left foot (clearly not the case) If no-one gets shipped out then we will have four wingers again and little or no cover at left and right back. Who is going to play left back if Skuse goes.
    I'm no expert but the few times I have seen GW play in midfield he has seemed OK why not give him a run (or is he out on loan without a recall clause?)

6. National N1

National N1 Active Member

7. redexile

redexile Member

As with city isn't everything rumour and down to the last minute?

8. BrightredRickster

Thats what keeps it interesting redexile

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Another winger??? Please NO.
    Either today or on loan next week we need a CF,CM and Defender. If Swanseal beat us, which wont be a surprise, the coin might drop with SL and Keef.
    I just hope we're not on here in May saying - 'I see our first game is at Carlisle, pity we didn't get in a few new faces last January'.

10. BrightredRickster

A sobering thought RP

11. glenngregory

glenngregory Active Member

I understand Woolford is more a supporting player for the front men, playing behind a two, or just behind a loan striker. In which case he will give us more attacking options then our currently defence minded midfield. And he is only 25 so some time for improvement. And has played in the Championship for a couple of seasons already. So not a bad deal for hundreds of thousands. (and I don't mean the little topping you put on cakes)

12. BrightredRickster

I quite like those toppings actually.

i'm quite delighted by the class we are attempting to sign.

This appears to me as a real declaration of intent for next season.
    If we are bringing in that kind of quality then we can be sure Steve means business.
    Now we need to find a real star to sit in the middle of our back 4

13. redexile

redexile Member

Wasn't it the great Brian Clough who talked about building from the back and Kevin Keegan talking about scoring more than the opposition, enough said. Brightred it might be interesting but it's not good for my old ticker

14. redexile

redexile Member

Just spoken to a Cardiff fan who thinks Koegh is "Pants" let's hope, being a Cardiff fan, he doesn't know what he's talking about