1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Another Weekend

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Aug 6, 2021.

1. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

May i ask how Roberts did yesterday?. Seen on social media some comment about him looking good. Well that's great but did he make any chances for others. Also did he try any shots towards the onion bag.

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Roberts, Poveda and Costa we need better, they all need replacing but it’s pointless fans attacking them on social media. They just don’t have what it takes, they haven’t got the extra quality in them and we haven’t got better replacements so they’ll have to do for now.

I saw the tweets, fans calling Costa a wage thief. Then the NewsNow click bait sites use the tweets as headline grabbers and people read them automatically making their mind up that Costa isn’t fit to wear the shirt.

I think we need better and it’s down to Bielsa and his team selection to pick better or authorise a signing that is better. If he doesn’t we can’t blame the player and we either trust Bielsa or we don’t.

I trust Bielsa I think he makes mistakes but doesn’t everyone

wakeybreakyheart and Doc like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The fear is the likes of Philips and Raphinha even Llorente, Kock and Struijk not willing to be patient for another season after this

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agreed and why I believe we will improve on last season.

without anyone else coming in I believe we will see improvement:
    • Junior in place of Alioski so less mistakes
    • Llorente, Koch and Rodrigo will be fit more than last season as we lost each for over half the season
    • Another season of Bielsaball

FORZA LEEDS and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  5. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

You may.

He was absolute gash...but in Roberts defence he's not had enough pre season minutes to get up to full speed/fitness yet. A place on the bench beckons so he can come on if or when Rodrigo tires.

Just a friendly remember so let's judge him when points are at stake.

wakeybreakyheart and Doc like this.
  6. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I saw literally 5 minutes of the game. In that time I saw Roberts receive the ball with 2/3 men around him, he beat them with some lovely footwork and started the move that ended with costas shot getting deflected over the bar. Two minutes later he miscontrolled a routine pass. Kind of sums up his career with us so far.

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Season not started yet but the Roberts debate carries on. Tyler Roberts has the opportunity to silence his critics, like he did in our last season in the Championship. He turned up at ling last and delivered maybe hakf a dozen performances where he ran his ass off, provided assists and got on the score sheet. He did it…. Last season he was pants. Yes tougher league but everyone else except him and Costa delivered. He was still shown faith by Bielsa and given a new contract. He knows what he has to do, so unless he delivers he can expect to eat crap. He can be a rubbish player and still have fans on his side because he can try and our fans love a trier

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  8. wakeybreakyheart

Thanks milky

9. wakeybreakyheart

Cheers doc

10. wakeybreakyheart

Ok lord jamster <laugh><laugh>

11. wakeybreakyheart

12. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Spurs have reportedly lined up a 60 million Argentinian forward, if correct then Kane is off to City. I can’t see Bamford wanting to leave unless one of the so called “big six” comes in for him.

13. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

end of the day we can't overthink things.
    yes next season players may leave if things don't go to plan but we also could bring in better than we already have with good recruitment
    Honestly hand on heart who had heard of Raphinha before we bought him not many.
    even if we do end up selling Raphinha this season or next we will make a tidy profit which will go into finding the new Raphinha's of this world. There is so much talent out there. that's what it makes things impossible to answer.
    Also Who says some of these young guns can't go on and become 1st team Premier League players or even future stars. they are a higher grade of youngster which have been bought for a reason not to just sit and play u23 football. they are our potential future as well as future investment.
    Yes not all of them will make it but even if we bring 2 or 3 through that's an achievement.
    Phillips,Struijk,Gelhardt,Greenwood even Shackleton,Davis have all already upped there value being here which means its progress as a club point of view and I'm fairly certain infact very confident a few more are on that road.
    you take a chance with youngsters but that chance is well worth the risk.
    We can't go out and buy the Kane's,Messi's,Grealish's,Lukaku's of this world because they are now players and highly in demand and out our price and wage range but most are in their prime but quite a few are also non profitable.
    Kane 100m Lukaku what is he 100m as well? they sign somewhere they aint going to be 100m players in their next move as they both will be into their 30's.
    but these money clubs don't have a problem with that because they don't want to wait and nourish they want it now. something we can't do at the moment.
    I like our model structure we trying to do what Leicester City are doing.
    Leicester have lost really good players since they came up but look where they are now.
    They made 260m from 5 players who they bought for 18m Kante,Drinkwater,Mahrez,Maguire,Chillwell massive players for them at the time but look at them now Premier League winners FA Cup winners and into Europe not bad for selling 5 of their top players.

14. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

This. I'm not saying I am a fan of Roberts but the boy clearly has the talent to maintain a career at this level. Of that there is no doubt. The problem with him is that he needs to do it consistently. There's no point looking a world beater one minute and shinning one wide the next. That's his problem. He CAN play, he just hasn't learnt to do it very often. The kid is only 22 and sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop. Some kids have consistency early doors, others take a few seasons and only really turn up later on in their career.

It depends on one's patience. I reckon he's on fairly conservative wages and with his age should retain value so I'm happy to keep him amongst the squad. TBF I might have loaned him out if we had signed another 10.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Doc likes this.
  15. NostradEmus

As for Costa, I posted some stats on our attacking players from last season a couple of months back. There were worse players than Costa. I think the fact he cost 18 million has put the spotlight on him. We'd expect more. That sticks in peoples minds whereas he was actually OK regarding chances and goals per minute last season despite working from the bench very often.

If we could recoup some money for him then I would sell him. Not because he has been overly ****e but because Summerville looks like the better player at the moment. If Summerville hadn't progressed I would be content with Costa on the bench.

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

2 very sensible structured posts from Emu who obviously doesnt drink as much as some of us <laugh> way to sensible.

blonogasoven and NostradEmus like this.
  17. NostradEmus

Im quite calm and considered off season but if we lose to scum first game then i will write the entire squad off within an hour and demand Bielsa's head. <cheers>

Doc likes this.
  18. wakeybreakyheart

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems that our U23s fielded a decent team that beat Man City U23s and we beat them 4-0 Saturday. Remember though City played some if their kids at Wembley yesterday. It is however all for fitness

There were goals for star performers Max Dean and Crysencio Summerville while new signings Amari Miller and Sean McGurk were also on the scoresheet
    They weren’t the only new faces involved at Thorp Arch as Kristoffer Klaesson and Lewis Bate also started for the Whites. Adam Forshaw was once again involved as he continued to show promising signs of returning to full fitness.
    re they get their PL2 campaign underway next Monday night away at Crystal Palace.

Footage emerged on social media of McGurk’s debut goal which featured an impressive solo run following a lovely driven assist from fellow new boy, Bate.

Miller’s first goal for the U23s was also uploaded to Twitter as he showcased typical Leeds pressing before finishing well.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  20. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Marcos Barber, Doc and Gessa like this.