1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Americas Cup

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Jan 20, 2021.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'm not a sailor despite growing up close to the Cornish coast but can I recommend watching the Americas Cup sailing currently being shown on Sky (at 2 am) and on the BBC iPlayer?

These things are the F1 of sailing (if sailing includes flying 6ft above sea level) going at speeds of 40 knots plus. The competition is brutal, with these beasts crossing within feet if each other at high speeds.

I know you'll scoff, but have a look you'll be gobsmacked.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I used to follow it when they used proper yachts....not these modern hi tech concoctions....lost interest....just computers with wings.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have to say I agree with you there plym. Same for me as Formula One. Is it the driver or is it just the equipment.... Have seen these boats mind and boy do they motor without actually having one. It kind of loses something for me in this competition as it is basically America versus somebody else every year. Bit like the Baseball stuff when it's the World series with no other Country taking part but Yanks.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Not quite Sensible. The Americans were 20 seconds up on the Italians turning onto the last leg when they tried something too ambitious causing them to capsize and partially sink. They haven't won a race yet whereas the UK boat has won 4 and lost none.

Just as the driver is critical in F1, you've got Ben Aisley at the helm on the UK boat and there's a tactician calling the turns. The US boat went over when the tactician was yelling "this is going to be challenging, are you sure?" at the helmsman, which rather proves it isn't about computers.