1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

ALGAE:

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Greenarmyjoe, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Algae on Plymouth pitch played part in loss - boss Derek Adams
    By Brent Pilnick & Gary SmeeBBC Sport
    Excuses from managers and players after a defeat have been part of football for generations.

From dodgy refereeing decisions to too many games in a week, every reason under the sun has been given for why their team lost.

But have you ever heard the one about too much algae on the pitch?

That was the excuse Plymouth boss Derek Adams gave after a late slip by defender Peter Hartley gifted Cambridge United a 2-1 victory at Home Park on Saturday.

"It has an algae on the pitch, it has to be treated and hopefully that will be sorted in the week," said Adams. "That is the reason (for Hartley's slip)."

The problem stems from the wet and unusually warm weather in Plymouth over the past couple of months, according to Argyle chief executive Martyn Starnes.

The club have had soil samples taken and are bringing in experts later this week.

2. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Err don't we always have warm and wet weather in Plymouth- I suspect this year is warmer than most but I haven't got any Algae on my lawn, or at least not enough to make me slip over and compound the error by failing to kick whoever is running past me with a football.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have they never heard of studs? I suggest he doesn't start all that nonsense where results are nothing to do with either himself or the players on the day when they go wrong. Man up and shut up when the going gets tough nobody wants a load of crap excuses when they have eyes and have seen for themselves.

4. Greenarmyjoe

We must be the laughing stock again.. What an excuse.. They must have more than algae at dagenham as we never had any shots until the 93 minute..

Just get on with it as its a bad spell.. forget the excuses..

5. Greenarmyjoe

What will the excuse be if we lose.. the pitch is the best in the league... i suppose other teams love playing on it even if it has got algae..

6. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As long has we don't get the wrong sought of leaves,snow.rain,sun,wind,crowd,players,manager.....tea lady....etc...etc...etc.

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watched the Sky highlights....half a dozen times.....very hard to come to any conclusion on Hartley......did he just slip because of the surface or not......picture just not clear enough to decide.....but Adams algae comment has gone virile.....causing a few guffaws in various circles.....too late to blame the Spanish Armada on administration or for losing the play-off against Wycombe.

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Give him time plym and I expect even the Pilgrim Fathers will get the blame eventually.