1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ainsworth to QPR rumours start again

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Blue_Slasher, May 8, 2018.

1. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

Again lots of speculation about Ainsworth being in the running for the QPR job. Although Holloway is still in situ and has apparently done ok with the funds available. Still QPR fans don't seem to be a lover of Holloway and are calling for him to go over the summer.
    Funny as an outsider you look at where QPR are now and what they have had to do with their wage structure and playing staff over the past few years. You would say taking all this into account that Holloway has done a reasonable job. However, fans still clamour for success with very little realism.
    Another candidate they are touting is "the wally with the brolly" and many think this is the number 1 choice.
    I'm personally not sure Ainsworth would get the time (on what is probably a small championship budget compared to some) to develop the team and get them to the place they believe they should be in.
    There were enough bemoaning Ainsworth at Adams Park, though the promotion has somewhat shut up the whingers.
    We will of course at some stage lose Ainsworth. Whether that is to a higher division or through the sack is yet to be seen. League 1 isn't going to be easy and its unlikely that we will get anywhere much above mid-table (personally i'd love mid table and bite your hand off for it right now). However, if we are languishing in the relegation area I wonder how long it will be for the boo-boys to return. The last season we spent in League 1 was painful and I've often said that we were never ready for League 1 after the play off final. Hopefully now we have a more established squad and the additions of some free transfers and good loanees will make us competitive

2. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Looking at where Ainsworth lives, I do think it is probably the club he would go to above any other, I still think he will do another season with us & test himself in
    league 1. I do wonder how many of the nearly 9,000 crowd will keep coming if we do struggle through the season.

3. philhythe

After you posted blue had a look at the QPR site looks like Holloway is staying, they certainly have got it in for Mark Hughes. A blog there says they have already had a clearout of the U23 squad is there anybody useful there.

4. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

You can put Blackburn at the top of his list as he's supported them since he was a boy.

5. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

I would hate to see him go and think he is improving all the time. Remember those seasons when we couldn’t even score goals. However if he is going to go then now would be best as we could attract a better manager in the close season rather than when we are struggling at the bottom of the league.

6. philhythe

I can not see him signing the players on for next season then uppping sticks & going if we have a reasonable season in league 1 then yes.

7. Blue_Slasher

you also have to remember the fans affections for Ainsworth are based on his footballing prowess over past years, whereas the management may have very different views.
    Fans often have rose tinted glasses where as a chairman will be thinking about who can take them to the promised land of £££ i.e. the premier league

8. Cardiff-Wycombe

If we have a good start to next season then people might start to look at him.

9. Cardiff-Wycombe

Holloway has left QPR

10. philhythe

A report on Sky News that that Carlisle are interested in Jim Bentley as manager if this happens & the franchise have Tisdale this would make Gareth the longest serving manager in the 4 divisons

11. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Steve McClaren expected to be announced as QPR new manager in next 24 hours according to Sky News. You can breathe easy again for a few weeks.

Rocky blue army and Ron like this.
  12. philhythe

The one thing that save us will be the excuse he lacks expeience in the higher divisons thank heavens

13. Blue_Slasher

Its the same with players, but probably even more so with managers. A nice flashy foreign name seems much more appealiing these days to those in thr championship and above

14. philhythe

How many clubs has McLaren been in charge now must be into double figures

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Especially if every 2 or 3 words are interspersed with minimum 5 second long "errrrrrrrrr"s

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There was a debate on the Southampton board a while ago when they appointed Mark Hughes which I made a comment on. I asked why it is that there is always a merry-go-round of the same old faces being shunted from one club to another and then failing again. If you look at some of the managers on the ride it is amazing that they still get employed. I discount people like Pullis for example who is somebody you bring in if you are in the brown stuff and he gets you out of it. Old Sam is another one in that category. Trouble is the fans of said clubs then get fed up with the saving football style once the saving has been done and they sack the saviour. Once again they then bring in another off the merry-go-round until they are in the **** once more. It just amazes me. The response I got was that I hate Southampton so I was having a go apparently. Now I don't actually even dislike Southampton at all as it's a place not a person. I'm not keen on their supporters however who I find a bit up their own arris but that had nothing to do with a genuine question.

You would think somebody up there would have at least a look at some of the lower league clubs, not smaller clubs as a Saint's fan would put it which forms my opinion, and give one of them a go. I think the trouble is that the Players also have an inflated idea of their worth and standing as well and that's where the trouble starts. Who is this new bloke who only played in the lower leagues and managed there? We play a much bigger part than them so who are they to tell us what to do etc. They then don't perform for that manager. That for me is the owner's fault who allows them to do what they do and still pays them. Ergo no manager from the lower reaches ever gets much of a chance and they have their own merry-go-round in the bottom leagues. It's still bonkers but there is nothing to be done when most of the owners are foreign themselves.

Ron and Rocky blue army like this.
  17. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Very good post mate and I couldn't agree more.You only have to look at Stoke to prove your point played hoof ball most of the time were a hard side to beat and then puliss gets sacked and relegation follows.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Mad aint it. Supporters often aren't much better. They strive and strive for their club to get into the premier league. When they do they are all happy for a couple of seasons and then get sort of jittery. They begin to think their club has this god given right to be there because they are "established". Instead of keeping themselves there and being happy they want to become Barca overnight and play the pretty game. Problem is they can't with the current bloke so they bay for him to get the hook. As you say with Pullis they hook him and the wheels come off because they aren't Barca after all. If everyone and his dog in the lower leagues can see that generally baring a complete flooky season there are only a handful of teams who can win anything in the premier league then why can't they. Sometimes, just sometimes you have to accept where you fit and be happy with that. Striving and ambition are all well and good but ultimate failure hurts an awful lot more.

Ron likes this.
  19. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

I'm old school and remember when football was football and players played for and we're proud to wear the shirt times have changed for the worse unfortunately and players and now managers don't give a **** at the big clubs,it's all about the money. Fans have changed as well ,it used to be going to a game being entertained and go home happy now it's win or nothing.we can't all play entertaining football and win a trophy every season it's about reality and accept who you are and where you are and you're financial restraints as to where you end up over the season , safe ,relegated or promoted .

Ron and sensiblegreeny like this.
  20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I had a discussion recently with a random bloke in a Doctor's waiting room of all places whilst waiting for her in doors to come out. We decided that wherever our team was we would still go on a Saturday because the football was only a part of things sport on a weekend. I go with a group which includes my 42 yer old son. We watch the game, win lose or draw, good or bad. We have a rave or moan depending on which one we have seen and toddle off to a club for a couple of beers and another moan and groan about life in general. That's the Saturday experience for all of us and we would all still go no matter what. I sit in the club place with Sky TV on and it generally is a premiership game. There are people in there wearing their Liverpool/Chelsea/ Man U shirts watching the screen and shouting at it when something goes right or wrong. Nobody but the rest of us in the room can hear them and there is no atmosphere to the game at all. They would never dream of setting foot at Home Park. No part of the elite they think. They mostly talk with Janner accents and are chewing a pasty. The majority have never been near "their" teams ground. How supposedly supporting or as I call it following the team on the tele can give anyone satisfaction I have yet to understand. Different if you originate from the place or maybe your dad did but that isn't the case with most. I soon suss out which team is the in one from the reaction and give a few cheers when they do it wrong or the opposition scores. My son looks away with embarrassment and the plastic fans give me a good hard stare. It's quite good fun. There are very few clubs who can truely call themselves "big" in this world and most of the premier league are not one of them. They just happen to be playing at a higher level than my team currently is how I would put it and they could quite easily pass us going the wrong way if their owners get fed up. Most of their supposed supporters don't quite get that and sadly believe their own hype. I will now put my soap box away for the night.

Ron and Rocky blue army like this.