1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Accrington Stanley v Sunderland - Tuesday 13th August - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Aug 14, 2019.
  1. Home win

16.7%
  2. Away win

45.8%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. the usual 1-1

37.5%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Accrington Stanley v Sunderland – Carabao Cup
    ASFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland drew at Ipswich and Accrington’s game with Bury was postponed.

Sunderland travel to the Wham Stadium in the first round of the Carabao (League) Cup. This will be Accrington’s first game of the season on their newly laid pitch.
    With an important league game against Portsmouth on Saturday, Jack Ross has confirmed that Sunderland will be without five players for the trip to Accrington Stanley. Injured trio Glenn Loovens, Ethan Robson and Duncan Watmore remain out while Denver Hume and Dylan McGeouch will also miss the trip to Lancashire.
    Jordan Willis came off injured on Saturday and may be rested.

Tickets for Sunderland fans wishing to pay on the night will be able to do so at the ground.
    Tonight’s game will not be available to streamed. However, BBC Radio Newcastle’s Nick Barnes will be broadcasting live from 7pm.

Jack Ross:
    “The first half was a long way short of where we need to be, a long way short of what we need to do as a team, and a long way short of what I would put my name to. Ultimately, it always comes back to me. “There was a frank discussion at half-time because we were a goal behind to a team that did the fundamentals a lot better than us.”
    “They were aggressive, competitive, physical. That gave them a platform to go and create and we were deservedly behind.”
    “We’ve got players with quality but you need to do the basics. It’s not very often I’ve said that in my time here, we’ve been frustrated by results at times, but there’s been very few times when I can be disappointed with the application. That was the case in the first 45 but credit to them, they turned it around.”
    "Charlie is not far away and I'm hoping that he will be available for Accrington on Tuesday, Max missed a big chunk of pre-season and we had always pencilled in Accrington as his first game back."
    Grant Leadbitter Preview
    John Coleman:
    “It’s going to be difficult, we know that, we had a couple of good games against them last year and what we’ve got to try and do now is put the disappointment of the Lincoln game behind us and try and kick on."
    “As I said it’s going to be a tough game, but we’ve got players who are realising the way we play now."
    “We have to learn from it, and hopefully the players will learn from it. I know the players are dying to get back out onto the pitch and try and right a few wrongs from that game.”
    “I’m glad to get back on home soil and play a game at the Wham Stadium, obviously with the new pitch,” he added. It’s an added incentive for us to enjoy it and we’ll only enjoy it if we can get a positive result, so that’s what we’ll be aiming to do.”
    Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    J.McLaughlin, C.McLaughlin, Ozturk, Baldwin, O'Nien, Power, Leadbitter, Embleton, Gooch, McGeady, Wyke
    Subs: Burge, Bainbridge, Mumba, Diamond, Hackett, Kimpioka
    Injured: Robson, Loovens, Watmore, McGeouch, Hume, Willis?

Accrington: Evtimov, Johnson, Hughes, Sykes, Maguire, Clark, Finley, Conneely, Pritchard, McConville, Bishop
    Subs: Edwards, Sherif, Brown, Simmonds, Sousa, Bento de Carvalho, Bursik
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    Home
    13/5 Away 19/20 Draw 12/5

My two pence:
    We beat Accrington 3-0 right after losing the Checkatrade final. That was probably the last time we put in a decent performance for the full 90 minutes. Most of the team that night are still here with only a few of the subs moving on - so we should have enough to win this one.

My guess is a 1-1 draw and then we win the penalty shoot out.

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Nacho, Dorset, The Norton Cat and 4 others like this.
  2. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

A meaningless cup game which I wouldn't be too bothered about losing.
    However, to get our season kicked off a convincing win should be what we all want.
    2-0 to the lads with a Charlie Wyke double.

RTB and BackO'TheNet like this.
  3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Us 3 and a clean sheet, blue remembered hills, will we ever climb them again, why not, bring it on.

RTB likes this.
  4. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

....and a 4-4-2 please !

clockstander and RTB like this.
  5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Hopefully - we are the away team by the way <whistle>

BackO'TheNet likes this.
  6. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I would start all the subs and bring in the legendary Charlie wyke, wow Accy will be crapping themselves if he plays 0-3 Wyke hat trick !

clockstander likes this.
  7. the falcon

the falcon Active Member

Cant see anything but a home win. If you cant keep a clean sheet,you create very few goal scoring chances, and lastly you have no one who knows how to score, then there is only one out-come. This is not a new problem, it blighted last season and what has Ross done to cure this sickness. answers on a post card addressed to anyone at the club who can eradicate the disease.

8. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

smithy in nl likes this.
  9. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

If it goes to penalties, at least we can “win” 1-1 .

marcusblackcat likes this.
  10. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Contradiction in terms that though - if no one creates, how do we know we have players who don't know how to score?

As much as Grigg seems completely disinterested, particularly when compared to McNulty, if he is not getting chances he simply can't score.

Also - we've drawn our first 2 games despite not creating much. Scored in both. Last season we had very few shots on target in comparison to those around us but were 4th or 5th highest scorers. We score when we create seemingly - would be lovely to just create loads! Chances are we'd score loads "statistically!!"

The Norton Cat likes this.

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

It sounds like there could be lots for changes tonight.

Here's the popular choice from the Chronic
    Capture.GIF

Who do you think will start?

12. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

This is the team that won 3-0

Team.GIF

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Have we got any promising forwards from the youth team to give a go other than Kimpioka?

14. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

We have only one goal this season to get out of the turd division... play the young'uns and need for games players...

We do not want any fixture congestion or injuries to key players

15. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I really hope we don't play O9 at right back.

That would be a massive failure in the transfer market if he's still having to play there.

Give him a go in CM, he deserves it.

Gil T Azell, Dorset, RTB and 2 others like this.
  16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

This article:

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/spor...-accrington-stanley-in-the-carabao-cup-489664

Shows precisely why this competition is a joke to clubs at all levels. No prize money at anoy point of the competition until the semi.

You get more for the cup we got to the final in last season (leasing.com trophy this year I believe!!)

This shows me that we play a team of kids with some first teamers which need game time and screw it if we lose! No matter what the result, we're entitled to 45% of the gate receipts which will be a pittance so who cares!!

17. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

I really hope we make as many changes as our injuries allow us too. The league is our top priority more than anything this season. We must get out of this league and try and restore abit of pride asap.
    All the games in hand the Checkatrade and international call ups caused us last season was a huge disadvantage for us mentally and physically.
    I think we were the only team last season in league 1 that had to skip games on international week because of call ups to our players.

18. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Im guessing Mumba and Kimpioka will be out of the team after playing for the U23s last night which is a big shame. Tonights game would have been an ideal opportunity to give them a run out with the first team. On that note this is how id like us to line up with the available players we have.....

(Flanagan playing LB).

Burge, ONien, Ozturk, Baldwin, Flanagan, Power, Leadbitter, Embleton, Maguire, Grigg, Wyke
    Subs: J mcLaughlin, Bainbridge, Mumba, Diamond, Hackett, Kimpioka

RTB and clockstander like this.
  19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Bainbridge should be given some game time along with Bali Mumba, this competition is not a priority for us but as far as bringing our young players on it is excellent, but as has been said the league is priority number 1. Having said that, winning is a habit and its time we started.

Makemstine Roger, RTB and Jack TheLad like this.
  20. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

The new pitch is looking good - not much chance of this one being rained off

please log in to view this image

clockstander likes this.