1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Accrington Stanley v Sunderland - Saturday 8th December - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Dec 6, 2018.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Dec 8, 2018.
  1. Home win

3.8%
  2. Away win

84.6%
  3. Draw

11.5%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland travel to Accrington Stanley in League One
    ASFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Notts County and Accrington beat Lincoln after a penalty shootout.
    Jack Ross hopes to have Chris Maguire available for selection when Sunderland travel to Accrington Stanley this weekend. The forward last featured for the Lads in their 4-2 win against Barnsley at the Stadium of Light, but he returned to training on Thursday. Lee Cattermole has also resumed training, but the midfielder isn’t expected to feature at the Wham Stadium and is likely to make his return a few days later in the Black Cats’ Emirates FA Cup replay against Walsall.

The Black Cats have sold out their full 2,374 allocation of tickets for the game and have now secured permission from both the Lancashire side and the EFL to screen the game on Wearside in what will be the only authorised public broadcast of the match. The game will be shown in Quinn's Bar at the stadium with tickets costing £10, which includes a bottle of beer on arrival and pie and peas before kick-off.

This will be the first meeting between Sunderland and Accrington Stanley. The Black Cats played against Accrington FC - one of the founder members of the Football League - in the 1890s, but that was a separate entity. Accrington's form has fallen away a little bit lately with three league defeats on the spin, but they will be right up for this one. Manager John Coleman has a fully fit squad with Andy Mangan and Harvey Rodgers back after injuries.

Jack Ross:
    "Chris Maguire has trained today and should be okay”
    “Lee Cattermole has trained a couple of days this week, so all being well he will be back in the squad for the Walsall game, as he’s obviously been out for about a month now. I’m really pleased with how he’s looked in training, and he feels good as well.”
    “Tuesday was Duncan’s first game back, so we’re getting there, but we still have Ethan Robson, Donald Love and Denver Hume out. We’re probably getting close to being the healthiest we have all season.”

John Coleman:
    “It’s going to create attention, with the record crowd, it will be a cracking atmosphere and I am sure that the Sunderland fans will enjoy the Wham Stadium experience with all that goes on pre- and post-match. I think it’s a unique experience and it’s the best value football around the UK.”
    “I didn’t want Sunderland to get relegated. I like to see the ‘big’ teams play at the highest level and I do remember watching Sunderland win the 1973 FA Cup Final, although I was a closet Leeds fan so I was crying at the time!”
    “I don’t like seeing big teams have a hard time even though I know that not all of the bigger teams can be in the Premier League, but we will be doing our utmost to beat them on Saturday.”
    Form.GIF

Prutton predicts: 1-2

Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    OLIVER LANGFORD
    Assistants: Robert Merchant and Nick Hopton
    Fourth Official: Tom Nield

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    McLaughlin, Matthews, Flanagan, Baldwin, James, Honeyman (c), Power, Gooch, McGeady, Maguire, Maja
    Team.gif
    Subs:
    Ruiter, Loovens, McGeouch, Oviedo, O’Nien, Watmore, Sinclair
    Injured: Lovee, Hume, Robson, Cattermole, Wyke

Accrington Stanley: Ripley, Johnson, Ihiekwe, hughes, Richards-Everton, Clarke, Conneely (c), Barlaser, McConville, Finley, Kee
    Substitutes: Maxted, Brown, Zanzala, Sykes, Mingoia, Scott, Platt
    Injured: none

Betting Odds:
    H
    19/10 A 13/10 D 23/10

My two pence:
    I fully expect Jack to revert to his usual team selection with a return for Maguire and a possible start for Watmore or at least a place on the bench. The last time we played in Accrington (FC not Stanley) we won 6-0 but that was in 1892. Thanks to TheStatCat for the help.

My guess is a 2-1 away win.

Ha’way the Lads

2. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

The Wham Stadium? Seriously?? I did not know that. Good job Bob Murray wasn't a Duran Duran fan or something...

Terrific post, though, RTB. Don't how you do the technical stuff and the content is top notch <ok>

3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

"The Black Cats have sold out their full 2,374 allocation of tickets for the game and have now secured permission from both the Lancashire side and the EFL to screen the game on Wearside in what will be the only authorised public broadcast of the match. The game will be shown in Quinn's Bar at the stadium with tickets costing £10, which includes a bottle of beer on arrival and pie and peas before kick-off."

I like all these proactive ideas to get more money into the club while simultaneously making fans happy. Lots of small things that together add up. I think we've been clueless about it for many years before the current regime.

I also like the oppo managers comments for once.

4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Apparently it's part of a sponsorship deal with "What More UK Ltd." - surely that's some kind of omen for Duncan What More <laugh><laugh>

Powerpoint is not very technical <cheers>

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Sidthemackem likes this.
  5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Even though their form has dropped off a little lately this could be our hardest game so far this season.
    Not taking anything for granted but we should have enough quality for a 2-0 win. Keep the run going lads.
    Tried to get tickets for me and Rooch in the home end on the day they went on sale and couldn't even get through to the club, this is definitely a sell out.

6. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Just got to win to keep the pressure on Portsmouth, and the chasing teams. Hoping we have too much for them.

1-3 to the lads!!!!

Bart

7. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

8. cumbrianmackem

That's interesting RTB, too late for me now just couldn't get through all day when the tickets went on sale and as they only usually have 2000+ at home games didn't think we had a chance.s
    hope there's not rows of empty seats tomorrow.

9. cumbrianmackem

Oops didn't see the numbers of tickets left.

RTB likes this.
  10. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Going for 4 - 1 to the lads.....a sort of balls for glory performance.....can't accuse me of sitting on the fence with my prediction....lol :)

RTB likes this.

11. cumbrianmackem

LA I've thought this for a while that were going to give somebody a bloody good hiding on the pitch and thought Barnsley was going to be the one before we switched off for half an hour.
    It's going to happen so why not today.

LAMackem and RTB like this.
  12. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

The best feeling is that on matchdays we know we've got a great chance with a young, hungry, talented team that doesn't ever quit. Even if we lose, we can still be optimistic before the match knowing the other side are going to have to put in a real shift to get one over our lads. Marvellous feeling that we haven't really known since Reidy was doing his thing.

13. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

So refreshing to hear a rival manager not complain about the size of our budget and squad before the game getting the excuses in early and actually wish us well except for the game they play us of course.

14. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Portsmouth Luton and Pboro , all likely to win at home today, so really could do with a win . Confident that we will .

15. blackcatforever

blackcatforever Well-Known Member

Thinking the same thing here gelders,has to be away win for the lad's,has to be.k.t.f.

gelders pie likes this.
  16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

What - No Watmore?

please log in to view this image

Nacho and Gordon Armstrong like this.
  17. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Jack said that Ginger Dunc. wouldn't play today . . . . part of managing his progress :emoticon-0105-wink:

RTB likes this.
  18. cumbrianmackem

Bringing him back in gently, expect him to be involved somehow against Walsall on Tuesday.

19. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Cheers I must have missed that bit.

20. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Looks a bit wet out there

please log in to view this image

Hefty fullback likes this.