1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Accrington Stanley v Pompey

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

There are three games remaining for Pompey to nab a play-off spot – and two of them are against Accrington.

The first fixture in that double bill takes place at the Crown Ground this evening (7pm kick-off), with a frozen pitch stopping it from taking place as originally scheduled back in January.

Back then, the Blues were in contention for automatic promotion, while Stanley were sitting just outside the top six.

Both sides have had to readjust their ambitions since, however, with tonight’s hosts now down in 12th position.

The play-offs are not mathematically impossible for John Coleman’s side, although bridging the six-point gap seems unlikely.

And they showed they still have plenty of fight left, battling back from 2-0 and 3-2 down to snatch a 3-3 draw at Sunderland on Saturday.

Whatever happens in their final three fixtures, Accrington have still managed to – once again – defy expectations, having been named as one of the favourites for the drop last summer.

Pompey will not have fond memories of their most recent trip to the Crown Ground, having slumped to a 4-1 defeat last term.

TEAM NEWS

Lee Brown could make his return from a hamstring injury, but Alex Bass (foot), Ellis Harrison (knee), Jordy Hiwula (ankle) and Michael Jacobs (knee) are all out.

Pompey will also have to do without Jack Whatmough, who serves the third of a four-match ban for his red card at MK Dons.

The visitors will have to be way of striker Dion Charles, who has struck 20 times so far this term, while defender Ross Sykes is injured.

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall

Pompey: 6 wins
    Accrington: 3 wins
    6 draws

At Accrington
    Pompey: 2 wins
    Accrington: 2 wins
    4 draws

OFFICIALS
    Referee: Robert Madley
    Assistants: Kevin Mulraine and Matthew Parry
    Fourth Official: Benjamin Speedie

BETTING
    Pompey are the 23/20 favourites with VBET to secure all three points, while the hosts can be backed at 5/2.

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Half time, and it's a disasterous 2-0 to Accies who have played well so far, compared to us.

The home team scored in the 15th minute through Colby Bishop. John Marquis hit a post in the 24th minute. Accies scored again in the 43rd minute through Cameron Burgess.

We require a massive fight back in the second half to get anything out of this game !

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Half Time Match Stats:-

Home Team: Accrington........... Away Team: Portsmouth

Possession:

Home 51%
    Away 49%

Shots:

Home 11
    Away 8

Shots on Target:

Home 4
    Away 0

Corners:

Home 1
    Away 0

Fouls:

Home 5
    Away 6

7. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

What has happened to this group of players that managed to have Pompey top of the League prior to Christmas, to be performing so abysmally now? As far as I can make out, as a unit they won't progress any further so it is time to rip up the team, take whatever is being offered for the likes of Curtis, who deserves a higher level of fooball. Time to move on Brown, Naylor, Whatmough, Nico, Harness, Harrison, Jordi, Williams. I'd keep Close, Marquis, Johnson, Bolton and Macca

8. The Ides of March

What a crazy night of football. Down and out at half-time, back into a play-off position leading 3-2, concede and are outside it with Charlton winning only to be back in 6th with Crewe equalising. Well done to Lincoln on securing a play-off place, and if we don't make it, I would love Lincoln to get that third promoted place. Also P'Boro on the way up.as things stand. Marquis got an unwelcome hatrick.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Final whistle. What a comeback for a 3-3 draw !! I thought we had won the match when we scored in the 91st minute, but they equalised in the 95th minute.

Pompey made a double substitution at half time with Ryan Williams and Andy Cannon replacing Ben Close and James Bolton. We pulled a goal back in the 49th minute with a John Marquis goal, then in the 54th minute we equalised with a goal from Ryan Williams.

In the 61st minute on came Paul Downing for Callum Johnson, and in the 68th minute we brought on Charlie Daniels for George Byers. In the 84th minute we made our fifth and final substitution when Harvey White replaced Marcus Harness. Bookings for Ronan Curtis and Andy Cannon for fouls.

In the 91st minute we took the lead with a second goal for John Marquis. Accies equalised in the 95th minute with an unfortunate John Marquis own goal.

I must say that the home team deserved to draw the game, as they were the better side over the 90 minutes.

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Final Match Stats:-

Home Team: Accrington ............Away Team: Portsmouth

Possession:

Home 53%
    Away 47%

Shots:

Home 23
    Away 12

Shots on Target:

Home 10
    Away 3

Corners:

Home 2
    Away 2

Fouls:

Home 12
    Away 16

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

12. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Somehow I found more hope in this game than i did the Bristol Rovers win. The style of win against Bristol Rovers did not inspire faiththat Pompey would be able to lift their standard against better opposition. But although Accrington were more than worth their point, but Pompey scoring three goals makes you feel that they could hangin in subsequent games and get a little luck. We shall see.!!
    PUP
    I have to say your choice of players to retain surprises me somewhat Ides.
    Going through the Pompey side man by man I would think they have 15 or 16 players of average or above league 1 standard but their results over the longer term would suggest otherwise.
    In an earlier post you suggested that the players must take some responsibility for the results - you couldn't blame Jackett for everything. The first four Crawley games clouded that stance but I feel it has subsequently become very pertinent again.
    The

13. The Ides of March

As supporters we all have a differing opinión. I think the oñe thing we are agreed on is that Curtis is perhaps Pompey's most gifted player. I don't know about you but if I were him, I would be urging my agent to sound out clubs in the Championship,vwho would be prepared to take a punt on him. In the present situatión, I can't see anyone offering more than 250k. Transfer fees for players under contract are not going to be big. As for other players under contract, they are unlikely to move on. There could well be a flurry of players released by PL academies, so we need to be alert to getting talent from that source. The Cowleys will have good contacts with the non-League world and who knows we might be able to unearth another jewel there, a la Lowe. It is going to be a busy summer oñe way or another. If we miss out on the play-offs, then we can begin business straight away, if we are involved, then things are delayed. Tricky!!

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member