1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

According to Trev

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by floridaspearl, Nov 10, 2018.

1. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

who remembers this horse? was a stalwart of the twisters yard for many years. My mate has just bought him out of leading point trainer Alan hills yard and plans to campaign him this winter. His experience of pointing is zero but has been training him and plans to ride his first race at Barbary castle in a couple of weeks and then onto cottenham at the end of December with the aim of qualifying for the Cheltenham hunter chase meeting in May. He hunts with Essex and is an experienced horseman and has been training with Steve Eccles smith in Newmarket and I’m hoping to jump on the bandwagon as groom, he doesn’t know this yet but with my experience punting I’ll be giving him his race instructions like it or not. Anyway thought I’d share it with you.
    Whatever happens it’ll be a laugh.

Reebok, redcgull, Cyclonic and 5 others like this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Yep remember him well, sounds like a cracking idea as long as the horse still retains his fitness and enthusiasm. Best of luck <ok>

3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I remembered him and my memory was that he seemed to have lost interest in the game in the latter runs. His stats seem to bear that out. Having said that though at his best he was a mid 130s handicapper who had 4 visits to the Cheltenham festival (3 PUs and one mid div) so no slouch if your mate can get him fit and enthused. All the best with it. I've only been point to pointing once (Easter meet at Eyton in Shropshire) and it was a great family day out. Plenty of old former rules stalwarts on show too.

4. floridaspearl

He’s fit, my mate says you just point him at the fences and locks on and takes you there. These are points so not top class but he’s a great jumper and you just have to sit tight and let him get on with it. Like I said the first race is a pipe opener for the main target in December .

Ron, Chaninbar and Pilgrim like this.
  5. stick

stick Bumper King

He has been in one of the very best pointing yards in the country. You should have a lot of fun with him but dont be expecting any improvement ;-)

6. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

He turned into a right rogue towards the end of his professional racing career, so very happy to hear that he’s having fun and going well for your mate.

7. floridaspearl

He’s 12 so no improvement expected my mate would like to qualify for Cheltenham and maybe get a spin round the place in one piece. And go from there.

Ron and stick like this.
  8. stick

stick Bumper King

Nice one mate. Really looking forward to hearing the stories!

9. floridaspearl

My mate is a farrier, one of the best. He’s been asked to work at a lot of top yards. He ****ed erm off cause there’s no money in it even the queen so he has a good eye for a horse. I planted the seed for the pointing. He used to play polo to a good standard he’s done dressage team chasing carriage driving with the duke of Edinburgh and now he’s having ago at training and riding racehorses he’s had to lose 2 stone in weight and is very brave but not stupid. I think he’ll do alright.

Cyclonic, Ron, NassauBoard and 2 others like this.
  10. floridaspearl

Update time.
    See my mate today everything going to plan. My mate got his riding license.the assessor said my mate late thirties was the fittest of all the entrants. So the plan is Barbary castle cancelled so runs at cottenham Sunday week 2nd Dec. He’s entered for Two races 2 and Half mile novices race jockeys not horses and a 3 mile open race.going for the 3miler as he will receive weight from any rider who has won a point. The horse is doing well, I’ve seen a video of him schooling over hurdle and they look good. Did some distance work the other day and clocked 3miles at 5mins which would put him in the mix on the day I’m told. So it’s just a case of keeping him ticking over till then.

11. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm getting really interested in this. Roll on December 2.

floridaspearl likes this.
  12. floridaspearl

Cyc if you’d like to read more about pointing. There is a monthly magazine that’s free to download called go pointing at pointtopoint.co.uk

Cyclonic likes this.
  13. floridaspearl

Today was the day.
    Trev was entered for two races at cottenham but it was decided that the second race the 3mile open was to hot a race for my mates debut so went for the first 2 1/2 mile restricted novice. Alan hills very kindly came and saddled trev and tongue tied him . Anyway as expected the distance was a bit sharp for him and both came home a respectable sixth of ten which everyone agreed was a good days work. So onwards and upwards back to cottenham at the end of the month. There might be a race in the rugby area but can’t remember the name of the meet. Realistically Trevs best chance of qualification is a meeting in Suffolk for a veterans race in January so gives the partnership a few more opportunities to gel on course.

Chaninbar likes this.
  14. stick

stick Bumper King

Good stuff Florida. The tongue tie isnt as technical as people might imagine is it <laugh>
    Could that meeting be Atherstone?

15. floridaspearl

Yes it is atherstone

16. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Set of your missus old tights will do the trick!!

stick and floridaspearl like this.
  17. floridaspearl

Time for an update. Trev has had a couple of races recently but hasnt troubled the judge on both occasions. One a hot race at Larkhill where he finished 8 of 12 but Alan hills whose been giving my mate lots of support thought he run a good race. The trouble with Trev is 3miles is a bit sharp so Alan has advised him to enter the 4miler at the heythorp on the 27th of jan.alan targeted this race with Trev last year and in his words the jockey f€caked it up but finished 3rd. I’m at Cheltenham on the 26th so will defo be going to this. This Sunday trev runs at ampton in Suffolk so I’ll be going along to this as well. Overall my mates learning lots and just has to work on his race management.

stick, Chaninbar and Pilgrim like this.
  18. stick

stick Bumper King

I used to be a regular at the Heythrop p2p when they raced at Chipping Norton. The race your mate is targeting could well be the Lord Ashton of Hyde Cup. A real marathon for the amateurs.

floridaspearl likes this.
  19. floridaspearl

Alan hill said he would be perfect for it. He was primed for it last year but the jockey ignored his instructions but still finished third. He thought trev finished strongly and could go round again. He was just getting going at the line with his ears pricked. The heythorp meet is at cockleburrow I think near Buford.

20. floridaspearl

A young horse that caught the eye at larkhill in one of the maidens was a young horse called hon the dj with an eye catching ride from Tommie o’brien.