1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Abu Agogo signs on a free transfer

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2019/january/30.1.19-ogogo/

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of experienced EFL midfielder, Abu Ogogo, on a free transfer.

The 29-year-old has a vast amount of experience, with a tally of 400 senior games under his belt and arrives at Rovers ahead Saturday's Sky Bet League One fixture against Southend United.

Starting out his career at Arsenal as a trainee, it was at Barnet where the midfielder got his first taste of senior football, with a successful loan spell during the 2008/09 campaign.

Ogogo joined Dagenham & Redbridge in the summer of 2009 and over a six-year stint in East London he made over 250 appearances.

Making the switch to Shrewsbury for the 2015/16 season, Ogogo enjoyed a successful first campaign at Montgomery Waters Meadow, helping his new side to avoid relegation and picking up the personal accolade of Players' Player of the Year and overall Player of the Year for his consistent performances.

Last season, the midfielder was named team captain for the Shrews, making over 40 appearances in their successful campaign that saw them appear in two Wembley finals.

Ogogo made the switch to the Ricoh Arena in the summer and has featured 14 times for Coventry City across all competitions so far this season.

On welcoming the newest member of his first-team squad, Manager Graham Coughlan commented, "I am delighted with the addition of Abu, he is a player with a wealth of experience that knows the leagues really well. Abu is also a great character that will provide a boost in the changing rooms and real warrior on the pitch, which is exactly what we need in our current situation."

Speaking on joining Rovers, Ogogo said, "The fanbase and the size of the club was a big attraction for me joining. I have been in tricky situations before, I am experienced and played a lot of games so I like to think I know what it takes to get out of trouble."

2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

A Player's Player of the Year is always good. We're going to need a few strong characters around for the rest of the season, so hopefully he'll be one to make a difference. Where's Sinclair, by the way?

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Listening to the game, it sounded like to me he played very well and one of the top performers on Saturday. Hope this isnt a one off and can keep this up for the rest of the season.

4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Is he related to our ex striker Junior Agogo

5. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

or maybe Einstein ?

6. old timer

Junior Agogo 41 goals 126 games could do with someone like that now. suffered a stroke a couple of years ago so not in the best of health

7. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Southend never got over Junior Agogo because he scored a great goal at their place.

8. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Thought he looked way off the pace Saturday and was very lucky to have seen the ninety minutes out, the referee was probably one of the most inept I have seen, a proper Brian Daniels and could and should of sent off probably another four players, Agogo definately being one of them.
    Disappointing result again and an opportunity missed with the calibre of opposition about to come calling.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Agree. After listening to the Southend game, I was looking forward to seeing his home debut. But I was let down.

10. old timer

I was surprised that only the one player was sent off when he brandished the card for Partington tackle and then Norburn's tackle I thought it could have ended up at 9 aside. Agogo and Norburn were lucky to be on the pitch at the end of the match. Their GK also should have been Yellow carded for blatant time wasting as should Goldbourne ??? for the same reason.

I would really like to see the Rugby Union rule of stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play happen in football I get fed up of teams like Shrewsbury and Wycombe being blatantly allowed to time waste with nothing being done to stop it happening