1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2020/2021 Season Start

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Jul 21, 2020.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Given the season usually start around mid-August, or it was actually on August 3rd in 2019, how do people think it is going to work out for next year? I just read this article which outlines the financial impact of restarting behind closed doors;

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-two-season-2020-21-rick-parry-a9499761.html

So do we give the players a good break, restart in late September/early October when crowds come back, or take the financial hit and start in mid-august?

My worry with re-starting in August is that, rather obviously, next season could end up suffering as the quality of football drops significantly due to player fatigue. Could this be a chance to start in August but introduce a two weeks break in January/February, an idea which I know has been discussed before.

Alternatively, we all wait until the season can re-start under 'normal' circumstances and fans can attend matches. Trouble with this is...when would that be? Seems to be no one is too sure, and we could well end up postponing the restart from September to October, then later and later until there is no point of starting it at all.

Sorry if I have missed it, but I haven't seen anything posted on here, and wondered what people's thoughts are on the re-start, and if those who have already renewed season tickets for next year have had any communication from the club?

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Up here, the SPL are starting games on Aug 1st, whilst the Championship is due to begin in October once crowds are allowed back into stadiums.

There is however, the small matter of the court case currently in motion where Hearts and Partick Thistle are disputing their relegations from these leagues (thus voiding Dundee Utd and Raith Rovers promotions). If this isn't resolved, then the fixture list may as well be ripped up.

Slighlty different format for the leagues below the top tier - normally each team would play each other four times, so a total of 36 games. But the new season will see them play each other three times, a total of 27 games - this will enable them to get back in sync with the other European leagues.

3. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

I thought that clubs were voting to start the new season on either 29 August or 12 September?

Not sure when the vote is though

daverangers likes this.
  4. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

I had missed that, thanks. I'll watch out for info on that.

5. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

The players are only back playing a month or so after a 3 month break. They would probably be better off starting the new season ASAP and not dragging the 2020-2021 season into the back end of the Summer 2021 like this year. They are hoping to have Euro 2020 and the Tokyo Olympics next year so I assume that means the authorities want this season started as quickly as possible.

If a vaccine is found this side of Christmas, maybe then the whole world can return to normality and the sporting world might begin to look a bit like what we are all used to. If we are left waiting for a vaccine well into next year, I doubt sport will get back to normal until then.