1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

“New” era starts tonight

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Big night for the whole of the Club tonight,players, owners, manager and fans.
    I’ll be watching in Singapore. Hope it all goes well for the Manager, and very interested in seeing how the players respond and especially his line up.
    Not expecting too much to change apart from the pace and the players attitude.
    Every journey begins with the first step

2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Same old same old, loads of possession not many clear, cut chances, same dancers to a different tune. Not many positives to take from that but we have to give him time. However, playing Dave at centre back with what we had on the bench was a very poor decision, Dave is a weak link now, that is not taking away from what he has done for us over the years, so I am not criticising him only just saying he may be passed his best. Brings me to Thiago Silva. One mistake may have cost us but overall, still class. Reece James was superb he deserves better players to play with. Sterling took his goal well but messed up too many more chances. Mount for once I think was played in the right position, primarily as a midfielder and not as a support forward/number 10. Havertz is awefull as is Ziyech. Kovacic and Jorginho should have bossed that midfield and they did for long periods but in a defensive way, too many times going forward passes were mis-placed and rushing back to avert the danger was the modus operandi. Cucurella looks well overpriced for me, Chillwell looks a bargain now, bring back Alonso.... Maybe not. Ah Zorro (the mask of) aka Aubameyang, not sure may have to see how it goes the jury is out. We need to win home and away against the Italians to qualify in my opinion, maybe a draw away could do it but no more points dropped against the other two or we are Dooomed! Doooomed! I say.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Apart from more energy, same old Chelsea, Impossible to judge Potter, but as for the players, more of the same. Sterling scores great goal, but does bugger all else except lose or give the ball away. Looks exactly like a City reject. RLC showed more attack in 10 mins than Havertz in 80. Aubamayang ?? Unimpressive. Mount. A bit better, tried hard, still can’t score so let’s forget about comparisons to Lampard. James left to do all our attacking. Kova our best for mine, though a bit loose with passes too. Jorghino is our disk brakes, slows everything creates nothing scores once a year. Dave is past it, just a bench player now, Silva brilliant, Cucurella lively but very predictable, everything to Sterling, ignores all possibilities in the middle, only runs the sideline.
    The positives, Kepa looked good, one hiccup only. Broja MUST start, he’s just what we don’t have, RLC looked excellent, Gallagher needs minutes. We might be carrying more than a few overated “stars”, and we don’t have a midfielder who we can rely on to score, even occasionally. Off the ball we are clueless, crosses whiz past goal with no one there, lack of intelligence is a problem. Potter is supposed to be a master at improving players, he’s got lots to work with.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

You are right, but this is what I dont get, how can we have a lack of defensive intelligence when we have players like Silva and Koulibaly in the squad?
    Thanks

5. Chelsea Pensioner

Easy, it’s not the defenders it’s the attackers in the box who lack intelligence. At least 4 great crosses, from James mostly, went across the goals with not a single attacker in a position to touch it in. This despite James being one of the best crossers in the game. Did none of them have a clue that a cross might be coming , so get into position?? Seems not, reading the game is not a strong point for our front men. Broja looks like he’s got it.

6. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

Lack of said intelligence comes from only having one brain worthy of the task in hand, Silva. The rest of the defence were poor and lacking said nous, as I mentioned in my previous comment the choice of defenders was poor, very poor I hope he learns. Koulibaly did not play, being in the squad doesn't help the players on the pitch.