1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

“I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again”

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Oct 15, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City stalwart ready to get back up again after injury and Blackburn Rovers transfer links
    Adam Baker on the long-serving goalkeeper who is back fit and ready to play his part for the Robins

“I get knocked down, but I get up again” are well-known lyrics from Chumbawumba’s 1997 one-hit wonder Tubthumping.

But it could easily sum up Frank Fielding’s time at Ashton Gate, with the goalkeeper poised to begin another chapter in the coming weeks.

Fielding arrived in BS3 back in 2013, in the wake of Bristol City’s relegation from the Championship and the departure of future England goalkeeper Tom Heaton to Burnley.

A total of 174 appearances later, Fielding has enjoyed plenty of success in BS3, including the 2014/15 double and being named in the League One team of the year.

Once called up to the full England squad under Fabio Capello whilst on Derby County’s books, Fielding clearly has talents, especially his shot-stopping.

But he’s also had his critics too. Some fans have queried his height and, most recently, his kicking, but in my opinion he remains one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship.

Fielding is the longest-serving member of the first-team squad now, and during his time at the club many goalkeepers have tried to wrestle the number one jersey from his gloves – and failed.

Elliot Parish, Simon Moore, Ben Hamer, Richard O’Donnell, Max O’Leary, Fabian Giefer and Luke Steele have all had opportunities, but for one reason or another – often injury or form – Fielding has earned a recall and flourished.

Now standing in Fielding’s way is Finn stopper Niki Maenpaa, who joined on a free transfer in the summer after opting to leave Brighton & Hove Albion in search of regular first-team football.

A hip injury sustained by Fielding in pre-season afforded Maenpaa a clean run to stake a claim between the sticks and he’s not disappointed so far.

A goal conceded direct from a corner against Blackburn Rovers is really the only blot on his copybook, albeit that was quickly forgotten as it came in a 4-1 victory.

With five clean sheets in 12 outings to his name, Maenpaa has shown exemplary shot-stopping attributes and commands his area well given his big frame.

However, those who witnessed Bristol City’s 2-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday before the international break will have seen the 33-year-old hobbling off the pitch with a groin injury – so could Fielding be set for his latest opportunity?

He recently returned to training at Failand, receiving a hero’s welcome from his teammates. A bubbly character that is hugely popular in the dressing room, it’s no surprise that the round of applause welcoming Fielding back to the training pitches went on for some time.

Of course this could all have been a moot point if, ironically, Fielding had not sustained the hip injury in close season.

Linked with a return to his hometown club Blackburn Rovers, where he began his footballing career as a youth player, amongst other northern clubs in the summer, Fielding may very well have been sold.

Instead, after being ‘knocked down’ by the injury he’s spent the past three months undergoing intense injury rehabilitation and is now poised to ‘get up again’ for his City career once more.

If Maenpaa’s unfortunate injury is to keep him sidelined boss Lee Johnson will avoid a very difficult selection issue, with Fielding primed and ready to return.

Unlike an outfield player coming back from a long-term injury, goalkeepers – although maybe a little ring-rusty after being out for so long – won’t require the same ‘match sharpness’ you hear managers and players banging on about when it comes to outfield players.

If Fielding’s Ashton Gate past is anything to go by, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him pulling on the gloves for Bristol City again this side of Christmas – and he certainly won’t let anyone down.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-stalwart-ready-back-2107821

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I didn't know this - ' Once called up to the full England squad under Fabio Capello'

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

He was not sure how though <laugh>

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I can tell you’re upset RR just at the thought FF may return , can’t wait myself, I don’t rate Maenpaa at all, I don’t feel comfortable with him between the sticks , and his kicks only stays in because most are straight down the middle . :bandit:

5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Maenpaa was a "non event" when he signed a lot said we still need a keeper, almost a prejudgement he would fail .. a reasonable assumption by a few on here when someone does not fit in their little box! . . . . but he has fitted, and his hardest task is that at the moment FF is getting back to fitness and he doesn't want to cock up … things on the mind often do exasperate a molehill into a mountain!
    He has done exceptionally well in his short tenure and should FF had been out all season then He would most likely have come through ……

Goal keepers are in very distinct groups .. the league only needs 92 plus say 92 spares and 92 youth/ u23 21 / 19
    In the prem there is probably 50 GK's that would easily fit somewhere in the 92 as top of the divisions GK's besides the 20 that are "the number 1 !"
    value wise … probably 10 would top £20m? 20 maybe £10m, 30 or so £5m and the rest from end contract to a few pints!
    move down to the championship as is and a different picture ………
    MAENPAA WAS ON A FREE BECAUSE he was no longer a prem club top 3 … FF will eventually be pushed out by an up and coming, maybe Max? or …..

Red Robin likes this.
  6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Chalk and cheese our defence looks much more comfortable with Nilkki in goal,our whole game is so much quicker from the back.
    Different gravy in my opinion.
    FF great shot stopper that is it.

7. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with we’ve virtually got a different defence barring Baker then RR? And our better performances was with Kalas making it a completely different defence. You can’t even get his name right though <doh><doh>

I’m with Ashton on this, he doesn’t impress me and he’s correct with his kicking, when he goes wide it goes out.

AshtonRed likes this.
  8. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

It’s a totally different defence to what Frankie had to play behind

9. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

For a tall guy he doesn’t command his area, doesn’t come for high balls any where near often enough, his kicking isn’t much , if any , better than FF , he mostly kicks down the middle , and often finds touch when trying to clear to the wings , his shot stopping isn’t anywhere as Good as FF , and personally doesn’t at all feel me with confidence.
    Another one for FF to take over from . Maenpaa only has a 1 year contract, I can’t see it being extended personally, he’s ok , but no better than that , not as good overall as FF .

RedorDead likes this.
  10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

we screwed up on Heaton … 1 year contract ……….

Red Robin likes this.

11. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

That’s because that’s all he would sign.