1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

“He Was Unselected By Me,” Confirmed Johnson.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Aug 9, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson issues meaningful message to Birmingham City target Aden Flint

The Blues have had further bids turned down by the Robins for the defender

Lee Johnson has once again firmed up his stance regarding Birmingham City target Aden Flint – with the Bristol City boss saying the defender it at a club that “love him” and “want to keep him”.

Flint has been subject to fresh bids from Harry Redknapp’s side – who Johnson’s side play away from home this weekend in the Sky Bet Championship – but none have met the Robins’ valuation and requirements for the player.
    Flint was withdrawn from Tuesday night’s squad that dispatched of Plymouth Argyle in the Carabao Cup, with plenty of speculation then suggesting that the former Swindon player’s career at BS3 was over.

But Johnson has revealed that it was his decision to take Flint – who sat in the stands to watch the game - out of the matchday squad for the first round tie, and said this when questioned about his absence in midweek.
    “He was unselected by me,” confirmed Johnson. “Aden knocked on the door – we have a lot of respect for each other - and we had a conversation. Aden has respect for not only me but the football club as well.

“After the conversation, which I won’t reveal because something like that is private between a player and a coach, I felt it was better for the team to leave him out. That has to be my thought process, always. The team and result come first.

“That doesn’t mean Aden’s going or that the door is closed. It means for that particular game I felt I needed to pick the best possible team to win that game.”
    Asked if it was Flint who had asked not to play, Johnson replied: “Absolutely not.”

Johnson, who has seen his side pick up back-to-back wins and score eight goals in two matches, has given no indication to whether Flint will or won’t be in Saturday’s squad at St Andrew’s, and added the following about his future.

“I can’t reveal if he will be in the squad or not but we have had two bids for Aden,” Johnson said. “We have had two solo bids from Birmingham. Neither reached our requirements and have got to the figure which we feel is acceptable.
    “The owner has gone on record to say we don't need to sell. It has to be right for our club at the right valuation. Johnson added: “There are higher powers than me that will have the final say on that – obviously I will have my input.
    “But we’re in a strong position and it’s a good football club. We don’t want to lose our quality players, unless it’s for the best price and they have a good contract.”

Asked if expects the Blues to return with another bid for Flint, Johnson replied: “You’re talking to the wrong man on this one. My focus is genuinely been on games – and now the Birmingham game. The lesson I’ve learned from last is that you get involved because you’re interested, when really your focus is the team.
    “Of course it’s unsettling. If I have any advice for Aden, it’s that this has happened to me a few times in my playing career and, I know it can be difficult, mostly mentally because you’re pulled from pillar to post.

“The beauty of it is that he has one fantastic football club that love him and want to keep him, if possible. But there is also another that wants his services.

“When he sits down in ten years time he will probably be very proud that two great football clubs are interested in having him.”

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-city-boss-lee-johnson-304485

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Quietly putting the pressure on..

3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

So Junior was pulled from 'pillar to post' during his playing career from clubs bidding for him.

Learn something every day.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  4. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

The Johnson household, many years ago......

"Lee - your Dad's on the phone again asking if you want to have a kick around for his team. Hurry up and let him know as the tea will be on the table soon"....

"Thanks Mum. I'll give him a call before he gets home. This is a bit unsettling at times. Wish he'd do it after I'd eaten."

5. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I knew you would comment on that sentence.. <laugh> even if it wasn't on here!

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

....made me smile that did!

7. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

And me

Well put Victor <laugh>

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

9. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

There you go again AD, it's just a bit of banter, I said I wouldn't criticise until 10 games, nothing about taking the piss out of our little hero, get used to it.

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that there was a LITTLE bit of toing and froing when he went on loan to Derby.

Anyway I don't care what happens really - unless Flint is forced to stay against his will - then it would get messy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  12. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Flint will have to wait for his place,those boys that started against Barnsley will get the nod.

13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

14. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Now the dusty has settled on this - LJ got it spot on.

He left Aden out - he eventually won back his place - signed a new contract - played with 100% commitment for the rest of the season - then we got £8m in the Summer.
    Then arguably in Webster we got a better defender from Ipswich who was only £2m (and younger)

Red Robin likes this.
  15. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

price varies! seen it as high as £3.6m

smhbcfc likes this.
  16. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Any player the don’t want to be here should not play in the first team.
    Their mindset will be not be right.
    Hence O’Dowda being hot and cold.

smhbcfc likes this.
  17. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Well even if it was 3.6m - well worth it!! <cheers>