1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

‘I love Hull City’: Brazilian Thiago Macedo’s long-distance love affair with Tigers

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Aug 25, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

A FOOTBALL fan who is head over heels for Hull City is living proof that love really does work in mysterious ways.

But Thiago Macedo is no ordinary supporter – he is a born and bred Brazilian who has never been to Hull in his life.

"It is much easier to root for Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal, but love is not explainable. I love Hull City," he said.

Thiago is a 29-year-old from the city of Mendes, in Brazil's Rio De Janeiro province, and leads a fairly normal life.

After graduating with a business degree, he currently works in a sports shop and enjoys taking his girlfriend to the cinema, a kick around on the weekend and a few beers with his friends.

But his life changed when he saw Hull City playing in the Premier League.

He said: "Here in Brazil, the Premier League is broadcast on television and when I first saw the Hull City shirt, I was fascinated.

"I loved the colour combination because it is very similar to the Volta Redonda shirt, a fourth division team here that I have a great sympathy with and that awoke my curiosity.

"I started researching the club a little and found out that Hull had a Brazilian idol – Geovanni. That was messing with my head, so I bought my first shirt."

As a football fanatic, Thiago started collecting City strips.

He got to know other collectors and found someone who had five Tigers shirts. Thiago made a deal immediately and his collection grew to six.

He is now the proud owner of 22 shirts, with four more on the way.

Thiago said his friends and girlfriend thought he was crazy at first, but he has almost got them on side.

He said: "My girlfriend supports me a lot, including my love for Hull City, so this week I bought a shirt for her on the club's website and I am sure she will love the surprise.

"We are planning a trip to Hull and plan on watching a game. It is my dream and she's sharing it with me.

"We are hoping to get married next year, so I do not know if this dream is possible now.

"Weddings cost a lot of money but I'm sure one day I will fulfil this dream with my wife. We love the Tigers and deserve it."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/8216...tory-27666628-detail/story.html#ixzz3jpETA7nH

CANADATIGER and Kempton like this.
  2. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

3. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

A lovely story that, cheers OLM

Real ale tiger likes this.
  4. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

The owners will probably use this in their revised business plan as strong evidence for the merits of a name change ? "Dear FA, I told you so, it's bound to be a global marketing bonanza".

5. essexgull

essexgull Active Member

He needs to tidy up his bedroom if he is to stand any chance of getting a girlfriend. It looks a mess with all those shirts lying around.

ESSEX GULL

6. where's les mutrie now

where's les mutrie now Well-Known Member

Wonderful story and a great City fanatic he is already, but if he does come here soon the heavy dose of reality may test his loyalty.

7. SuitedandBooted

SuitedandBooted Well-Known Member

He should be supporting his local team shouldn't he? Don't us City fans from Hull pride ourselves on the fact that we support our local team and look down on hull born people supporting other teams?

8. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

That was on the Facebook page a couple of weeks ago! Nice to see the HDM keeping up to date news!

9. over18and legal

He is supporting a team that has won **** all in their history.
    This is totally different to the scum that latch onto other teams because they are successful.
    I am 57 and in all that time I have never met anyone from Hull supporting Chesterfield or Southend or Bury (no disrespect to these teams intended).

10. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

The plastics in Brazil tend to be the women, thanks to cosmetic surgery.

11. SuitedandBooted

He's still not supporting his 'local team' is he though? Come on, how many threads have we seen on here totally ripping these type of fans apart but because this guy supports City its suddenly alright?

Steven Toast likes this.
  12. Tonight We Dine In Hull

Tonight We Dine In Hull Active Member

I seen people ripping these fans apart when they support another team from the same country, this is different.

13. SuitedandBooted

Why, whats different about it?

14. over18and legal

We need all the supporters we can get at the moment.
    IMO it is different because he is not a glory supporter. They are the ****s I can't stand.
    It's amazing how all the ****s that used to walk around in TWS shirts in the 70s have all moved out of Ull.<laugh>

15. Tonight We Dine In Hull

We aren't in competition with clubs abroad so it isn't the same for all we know he supports his local team as well.

It's no different to me watching Real Madrid every week on tv and saying I'm a fan as well as going to City.

16. SuitedandBooted

So you have a 2nd team?

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Some ****er in Hull supporting Liverpool because they're more successful than us, is completely different to some kid in Brazil deciding to support a club in another country because they have a Brazilian playing for them.

18. Tonight We Dine In Hull

It was just an example I wouldn't say I have a second team but there are teams I want to do well because I like the way they play etc. but not in this country.

19. over18and legal

If i had a Brazilian girlfriend, I wouldn't give a flying fig about football in another country.

20. over18and legal

Leicester is my 2nd team <cheers>