1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours £13m fee agreed for sale of Townsend

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

FFS.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/06/and...successful-talks-sky-sports-newcastle-united/

After initial talks, Palace have agreed to pay a release figure of £13m for Andros Townsend and will now formally put the offer in..
    please log in to view this image

After the success of initial talks, Crystal Palace will now formally make their offer which will trigger the release clause for Andros Townsend.

Sky Sports’ man in the north east Keith Downie says that the Newcastle winger wants Premier League football after getting his first taste of regular first team football for a couple of years with Newcastle, plus they understand that Palace have agreed to pay a release figure which is £13m.

This figure is slightly higher than the amounts previously claimed to be the release figure but common sense suggests that with Newcastle United reported to have paid around £12m/£13m in January, the agreed release figure is almost certainly whatever fee Newcastle paid five months ago.

Anything around that figure looks a real bargain for Crystal Palace, especially when you compare it to the £34m Liverpool are paying for Sadio Mane.

With the transfer market looking sure to go very crazy this summer, Andros Townsend could well be one of the bargains of this window if he pushes through with this move.

Tuesday had brought reports of three intended Palace signings, with Marseille pair Michy Batshuayi and Steve Mandanda also in their sights. A fee of £32m claimed to have been agreed with Marseille for former Newcastle target Batshuayi, another price tag that reinforces just what kind of prices in demand players are set to go for.
    In early June Andros Townsend was said to have met Rafa Benitez for talks and an offer of a new improved contract had been made, in return for the removal of the transfer trigger clause. After reports that those talks had gone well, we have heard nothing more.
    Easily Newcastle’s most creative player, Andros Townsend has only talked positively about staying on for the upcoming Championship season but we wait to see what happens.
    Pessimists would think that the very fact this trigger clause was inserted in the first place, means that thoughts of leaving if relegation happened were already in the player’s mind.
    I must admit I thought Andros Townsend was going to be staying and you can only hope that he will see the positives of what could happen under Rafa Benitez at Newcastle United.
    - See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/06/and...sports-newcastle-united/#sthash.hdnLxvkj.dpuf

2. Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight Active Member

We all knew he was likely to leave. Can anyone blame him really?

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I'd personally have looked to stay until at least January. If we are storming the division then I'd then hang around for PL football the season after.
    At worst.. I'd agree a loan move for 1 season to give NUFC the chance to come back up.
    I'm loyal though.

anyobrien likes this.
  4. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Little let down by that tbh, guess the Rafa factor can only stretch so far. Moving back to prem n London is a lot to fight against

5. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

The problem with Andros - and this is throughout his history - is he constantly believes he's better than he is.

Good player, but too mercenary now for me. Is he going to Palace 'cos he loves Palace? Nope, he wants more money, more limelight and the first bigger club comes sniffing, he'll be off again. Sad indictment of modern football.

Flash and J. J. McClure like this.
  6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I have no problem with Townsend. He came despite our poor position and put it all in while here. If as expected and I have said all summer he does leave, I won't be surprised. Rafa or not, modern players always want more. They've had it rammed into them by greedy agents and over zealous parents that "its a short career, you only get one shot at it, football is littered with players who didn't take their chance" etc etc etc. The bottom line is the agents make more money when players move, so funnily enough players constantly move!

So I'd wish him well and Palace is an interesting move. He is well suited to them and Pardews style of play. He might find it trickier than he thinks though because Zaha, Bolasie, Puncheon and Lee Chung Yong are no mugs. The latter would have been a tidy player to pick up as a replacement for our right hand side and I think he had a falling out with Pardew over a lack of playing time and a hilarious story about getting him to warm up when he had already used his subs <laugh>

7. Lord Jonjomort

Oh, Alan.

8. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Well, if true that's a major disappointment. I had hoped he would stay, but he has not gone yet, so l guess we wait and see.
    Fingers crossed its another along the lines of Sporting Lisbon.

9. Lord Jonjomort

News tonight is he doesnt want to go. My words obviously hit home. Good lad.

10. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

11. General Lee Speaking

12. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

Doesn't want to go and be Pardewed perhaps.............. but if a bigger outfit come in for him, his head may be turned.

13. General Lee Speaking

This is the problem. I'll believe he wants to stay if he's still here on 1st September. I still expect one of the elite clubs in the Premier League to come in at the last minute when they fail to get some £50m signing over the line and he'll leave to make up the numbers.

14. Lord Jonjomort

He's not good enough for Totteringham or Everton, which elite club are biting?

15. General Lee Speaking

We'll have to wait and see.

16. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Yes he is

17. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Improved? Strange thing to not want.

18. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Ritchie and Gayle intimates to me 2 or 3 will be going - Gouffran, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Townsend all possible out goings. The only one I'd be desperate to keen would be Andros, wouldn't mind Wijnaldum to stay either.

19. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely that the French guff will be going. We've also lost Obertan and Marveaux remember. Gouffran and Sissoko will join those two with Gayle and Ritchie replacing those we have lost. An improvement in quality. Expect a couple more defenders to come in [to replace Taylor for example] and another midfielder.

20. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

He knows Big Al is off to lead England to World Cup glory.

:rolleyes:

Warmir Pouchov likes this.