1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread ¡Hornets v Magpies!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

TEAM NEWS
    Watford could give a debut to attacking midfielder Nordin Amrabat, who signed from Malaga this week.

Another new arrival, goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon, is also expected to be in the squad.

Newcastle's head coach Steve McClaren has an injury crisis that has left him with only four match-fit defenders.

Jack Colback was due to fill in as a full-back but he is out, while Cheick Tiote will not play any part as he tries to finalise a move to China.

He joins a lengthy injury list which includes Papiss Cisse, Siem de Jong, Kevin Mbabu, Gabriel Obertan, Massadio Haidara, Mike Williamson and Vurnon Anita.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

John Motson: "This week I watched a recording of Newcastle's game against West Ham and it was as well as I have seen them perform this season.

"Jonjo Shelvey made a big difference, but it was also the best I have seen Aleksandar Mitrovic play - he was man-of-the-match for me.

"Watford may enjoy a psychological advantage here, having beaten Newcastle twice already - including an FA Cup victory when a weakened Hornets side eliminated a full-strength Magpies team.

"But they have been poor in their last two league games, at Southampton and Swansea, failing to create enough chances for dangerous front two Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo, and will be desperate to avoid a fifth straight league defeat."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY
    Watford head coach Quique Sanchez Flores: "We are a little bit tired. December was very tough for us.

"Not because we had to play every three days, but because we had to play against amazing teams - Chelsea, Tottenham and [Manchester] City - and it was very difficult for us.

"When we don't win sometimes the tiredness is in the brain and the head is a little bit more heavy. I tell the players, 'Boys, no problem, we are in the same position as Everton, Liverpool and Southampton in the league and it is not a drama'."

Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren on Newcastle's defensive crisis: "Kevin Mbabu is out, Dummett has a tight hamstring, Colback deputised at left-back - he has a little niggle which we will not take a risk on. We have four fit defenders.

"Steven Taylor will be in the squad and probably on the bench. In terms of balance, it is very difficult, but we will find a solution somewhere and players will have to step in and do a job."

Deleted 1 likes this.
  2. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

sorry all bit short of time this week and said I´d put one up!

3. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Nice one Mex - I think we will make a bit of a recovery and complete the treble. A 3-1 Watford win

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good luck to your Golden Boys, I want Watford to stay at least mid-table and I wouldn't mind seeing the Magpies drop! <ok>

5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

QSF suggested he is going to use Amrabat as a number 10 or extra striker rather than winger..

Need to get the first goal I think and we probably will need to play better than we did in the cup game!

6. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Totally agree. I also hope there's a bit more cohesion with the team today. I think that has been missing recently - our biggest strength has been good organisation and really knowing what each other is doing. Get that back and we may see results change.

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Mex for the thread. Today really does need to see the home fans get behind the team and support all of them. Despite doubts being expressed about players when things are not going their way, today is not the time to get on at them.
    I do hope our new pitch stands up well as it has not really had a chance to get settled in.

Deleted 1 likes this.
  8. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<applause>

9. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Good luck today - a tough game, no question - lots at stake, magpies seeking to avenge and build on their momentum, hornets trying to regain the thread, first goal will be crucial I feel. ..........

10. hornetsfan1963

hornetsfan1963 Active Member

As a bit of a Jurado basher , I would love to see him score the winning goal today .
    Result could go anyway , a hard one to predict , would not be surprised to see 3.0 to either side ..Very much doubt Newcastle will go down this year . A point not a disaster .

Deleted 1 likes this.

11. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Thanks Mex. I think we need to come out all guns blazing for this one for the first 20 mins or so and try and get an early lead to settle us down. I think QSF may start Amrabat on the bench with his comments about him being a striker. Agree with OFH, need to get behind them today, so I'll be shouting then on. COYH!

rudebwoy likes this.
  12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

The pitch looks fine in the picture, but remains to be seen how it plays.

Markthehorn likes this.
  13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Naismith has had an instant impact with his first game for Norwich. He scored the second goal for a half time score of Norwich 2-1 Liverpool.

15. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

The captain's words from the programme

17. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Just the one change - Paredes in for Nyom.

New Nordin on bench.

18. Saxet

Saxet Well-Known Member

The Red Lion corner is coming along nicely though.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

WatfordFC starting XI vs Newcastle: Gomes; Paredes, Britos, Cathcart, Ake; Capoue, Watson; Behrami, Deeney, Jurado; Ighalo.
    watfordfc subs : Pantilimon (GK), Nyom, Prödl, Anya, Guedioura, Abdi Amrabat.

Put it in the wrong thread.<doh>

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

NUFC team: Elliot, Janmaat, Lascelles, Coloccini, Mbemba, Sissoko, Saivet, Shelvey, Aarons, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic.