1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zola resigns..

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Bolton's Boots, Dec 16, 2013.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

http://www.mbl.is/sport/enski/2013/12/16/zola_kvedur_watford_med_soknudi/

Zola kveður Watford með söknuði

Ítalinn Gianfranco Zola er hættur sem knattspyrnustjóri Watford en hann ákvað að segja starfi sínu lausu eftir tap í fimm heimaleikjum í röð í ensku B-deildinni.
    Zola stýrði Watford í umspilið um sæti í úrvalsdeild í vor þar sem það tapaði úrslitaleiknum gegn Crystal Palace á vítaspyrnu í framlengingu. Nú er liðið hins vegar um miðja deild. Zola hefur stýrt Watford í hálft annað ár og sagðist í bréfi til stuðningsmanna kveðja félagið með söknuði.

„Mér er þungt fyrir brjósti þegar ég skrifa þessi orð til að lýsa því yfir, eftir mikla umhugsun, að ég hef sagt af mér. Þessi ákvörðun var ekki tekin í flýti. Ég minntist á það eftir leikinn á laugardag að ég vildi hugsa málið vel og það hef ég gert. Ég verð að setja Watford í forgang og þess vegna tók ég þessa ákvörðun,“ skrifaði Zola.

Zola provides Watford with regret

Italian Gianfranco Zola has quit as manager Watford but he decided to resign after the loss of five home games in the B-league.

Zola steered Watford to the playoff for a place in the Premier League in the spring where they lost the final against Crystal Palace to a penalty in overtime. Now, however, the team's midfield department. Zola has managed Watford and half years and said in a letter to supporters greeting company with regret.

"I have a heavy heart as I write these words, to declare after much deliberation, I've said of me. This decision was not taken in haste. I mentioned it after the game on Saturday that I would think about it well and I have done. I have to put Watford priority and that is why I took this decision, "wrote Zola.

I think they have translated the beginning of GFZs letter and got some of the text wrong.

2. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If they give the job to Di Canio I genuinely think I might walk away altogther - suddenly Holloway and Warnock don't sound so bad <wah>.

3. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

I think the board wouldn't go for any of those 3, hopefully not anyways...

4. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

Who would you like Mex? I'd love Clarke but don't think he'll come.

5. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

I do hope they go for Holloway :D

6. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

not this despicable man.........

please log in to view this image

7. Mexican Hornet

DI Matteo, but also unlikely.

I think we may well be in for a surprise.

MM would be a right left-field one but could happen...

8. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

MM would be brilliant - I think most would welcome him back.

9. Ciaran

Ciaran 2016 POTY

I believe Watford have the credentials to tease Ian Dowie to their coveted Hot Seat and add Watford to his glittering CV.

10. theghost

theghost Active Member

I wonder how quickly we will appoint someone else. Not sure who we have to take temporary control - surely not Zola's mate.

11. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

12. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

It's a bit strange that nothing has been said about who is taking temporary charge.

Whoever the new manager is, I'm guessing Zola's No.2 will lose his job especially as GZ left a week after praising him at the fans forum.

Also, I want to see the current Academy staff all kept and as much as Alec Chamberlain has been a good servant to the club, get a new keeping coach in. The youngsters he's been in charge of (I'm talking Loach and Bond as I didn't see Bonham play) have been in his own image - first and foremost good shot-stoppers. By the time he came to us as a player he'd been around long enough to adapt to not being the tallest of keepers when it came to crosses but if he's taught them the same method it hasn't worked and there has been too much flapping at crosses.

13. Goldentrue

Goldentrue Active Member

Absolutely would welcome him back. He left because he could see what was happening with Bassini if I recall correctly, and the Cardiff situation can't be good for him either. The only thing is that I am not sure he would be on the Pozzo's radar, or what sort of contract he has at Cardiff.

14. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

I for one would not welcome him back. Fair enough for him to leave, but to take so many others with him was well overstepping the line of decency.

15. Mexican Hornet

Reading through the comments again.

Remember that Zola chose to leave as he felt he couldn't take the team any further. The is the final sad fact. However well we had played under him and yes he had once got us playing good football. BUT - He walked (like a coward would stay on right?) because he couldn't get it right despite trying.

By the deafening silence from some player's twitter accounts, I think they might not be too unhappy he left either.

16. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

If MM came back, which is not likely, would he bring the others back as well?

17. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Probably not - some of them have been moved on already....

18. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I think this sums it up for me Tamas.

Were we playing that badly? No, just not getting the results.

Football is so short termism.

19. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

First of all, I want to say it is a shame he has left. What he did last season was remarkable and some of the football we played was fantastic and some of, if not, the best I have seen in a yellow shirt...

Saying that, this decision was Zola's. He was the one who decided to resign. The boos in the stadium doesn't help and won't condone that, but he has jumped ship at the first sign of things not going very well. Why would he do that? Does he not have the fight in him when things are going wrong? The majority of fans would give him time to turn it around, and not sure if he would have had too much pressure from above just yet!

I don't want to have to say it but guess I would be a little disappointed (and posibly suspicious) if he turns up at the Hawthorns in the next few days....

20. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member