1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zarate and Hazard

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Arsenal That Jazz, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Arsenal That Jazz

Rumours abound tonight that talks of varying degrees of advancement are being held with lazio and Lille regarding the proposed transfers of mauro zarate and Eden hazard. Potential marquee signings indeed that could go some way to quelling the anti-wenger mutinous factions of the emirates faithful. If these signings could be pulled off, coupled with the arrival of one of Cahill, jagielka, mertesacker or dann, would this potentially form the basis of a top four securing, if not title challenging, squad for this season? Or would one or two further signings be required? Please, discuss...

2. Samurai

Samurai Active Member

Oh, make no mistake, if we signed Hazard and a defender our season would probably be saved. Zarate would be a bonus.

The defender, ideally, should be really versatile (Can play LB, CB, RB, DM) because some can and getting one of these would be great

3. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

What i love is that we are going to the Wenger roots of proper counter attacking players. If we defend as a TEAM and hold back at times we can use these quick players we now have and might have to destroy teams on the counter. Even the kids we now have are quick wingers. Wenger is trying to get the speed back into the Arsenal makeup.

4. suker_suker

suker_suker Well-Known Member

If we got them both i can't help wonder how we'd fit them in. Hazard's a winger isn't he? To make space for him we'd have to move Walcott into the centre in a 442 with Robin behind him and Gervinho on the other wing, in which case what would we do with Zarate?

5. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Is Gervinho first team material from what you have seen so far?

6. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

The real problem is that you are going to find it hard to sign better players than our best 11 when they are fit. Gervinho-RVP-Walcott-Wilshere-Ramsey-Song-Sagna-Vermaelen-Koscielney-Gibbs.

You could probably upgrade LB but apart from that, you are not going to be able to get a genuine superstar that you need to upgrade anywhere else, they are not for sale.

You can say we need a world-class everything, buts let's face it all the names mentioned so far are playing in lesser leagues, for lesser teams or distinguished themselvers at U21 level, not at a full international level. They represent a substantial risk and we do have plenty of potential stars already.

So I agree we need depth but I cant help feeling that the situation isn't quite as dire as everyone keeps making out.

7. Arsenal That Jazz

I would say too much emphasis is placed upon international recognition to determine if a player is quality or not. True, none of the players arsenal have been linked to have many caps, but historically look at Ian wright or cantona? I'm not comparing Gary Cahill to cantona, but emphasising that world class players can be overlooked, although it was more cantona's grievances with the French team that limited his appearances. A better example could be Ashley young? Few would doubt his quality but is a far cry from the first name on the England team sheet? Cahill, hazard and Zarate would be ace, mark my words. And as far as fitting them in, how often is the first 11 fully fit or free from suspension? They'd get plenty of game time! At least two quality players are required in each position these days.

8. waxy

waxy Member

Having quality of Zarate on the bench wouldn't be a bad thing.

9. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Zarate is quality? He's been pushed down the pecking order by Cisse!

10. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Zarate is TOP quality I like him alot. However if we are to sign a striker I would prefer it was someone with a little more height/strength capable of playing down the middle. (Higuaine or Benzema would be my first choices)

I dont thing We NEED a striker as I think Joel Campbell could be a fantastic addition to our squad already. If we are to add they have to be better than what we already have.

Hazard would be an excellent replacement for Nasri - he's a better player. Hazard or Mata would be brilliant signings.
    (I would probably prefer Mata)

Cahill, Dann or Jagielka would all be good signings. One thing is for certain we need more 'ballwinners' at the back.

Two Signings to Save our Season:

---------------Sczezney---------------
    Sagna---Cahill-----Vermaelen---Gibbs
    -----Ramsey---Song----Wilshere------
    --Walcott-------RVP----------Mata--

Four Signings to make us Champions:

---------------Sczezney---------------
    Sagna---Cahill-----Vermaelen---Cissoko
    Walcott----Wilshere-----Song------Mata
    --------------RVP
    -------------------Benzema

11. leethegunner

leethegunner Member

ramos from real comes to mind

12. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Vertonghen is the defender we should sign. Can play all along the back line and in DM. If i remember rightly he has said he would like to play at Arsenal before as well.

If I do the same as someone above and say two signings to make us competitive and then 4 signings to win us the league, i'd go for:

2 Signings, Competitors:

Vertonghen, Mata

4 Signings, Champions:

Vertonghen, Mata, Kaka, Benzema

------Sczezney------
    Sagna---TV---Kosc---Vertonghen
    -----------Song-------
    -----Kaka---------Wilshere---
    RVP-------Benzema-----Mata/Arshavin

or

----Sczezney-----
    Sagna---TV---Kosc---Vert
    Walcott---Kaka---Arshavin---Mata
    -----------RVP--------------
    --------------Benzema------

(although you'd probably pull arshavin for Song in that team, or for wilshere to add a little more steal and work rate in the middle).

13. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I don't think we will be signing any more players this side of the transfer window. Wenger has already hinted he has done his transfer dealings. We signed a defender, 2 strikers and OXO, that my friends is our lot. I agree with the Arsenal ethos that we cannot sign "made" players, (we can't afford them or their wages). What we can afford is players on the fringes of greatness or rough diamonds and then grow them. What really irks me is how lose these players, once they have been educated!
    Imagine how much Nasri would command if he had a proper contract, Henderson to Liverpool 20mill..... I rest my case.

14. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

We have signed: a back-up right-back, a back-up winger and a semi first team forward/winger. And we are supposedly getting that cambell dude as well.

I do not think thsi will be all the transfer dealings we do this window. Infact i am pretty certain AW will be spending some cash. There is no way he is going to sell Fabregas and then possibly Nasri (after comming out and saying we cannot be seen as a big club if we sell both of them) and then niot re-invest some of that money.

The clubs management are nto stupid and realise how frstrated the fans are - they do not want protests and booing etc which will only lead to poorer performances, so imo they will make a signing to appease the fans.

It may not be one of the signings we are all crying out for but i'm sure we will get atleast one more player.

15. leethegunner

leethegunner Member

if you havent noticed we are 2 defenders down and the one he got in is only 19 i cant see wenger placing him in fold too early so im certain a bid for Dann or cahill/jag will come in next few days

16. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

@leethegunner - your post was written in a tone that suggested you were disagreeing with me but what you have said falls completely in line with my post... You sir have confused me.

17. From the point of view of transfers, this doesn't look to me like a stellar year to inspire the faithful. Hope the guys on the pitch can come up with something joyfully memorable.

18. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Last season there were constant calls for proper wingers and people getting annoyed that our wingers were actualy central players or forwards etc... Well now we have strength in depth on the wings with some really pacey players who like to try and go round there man.

The changes to the squad have given me hope for the season due to the type of players not neccessarily the players themselves or there quality. We have gone for quick players who are very direct. This could be a return to the fast counter attacking football of the invincibles. Imo with Fabregas leaving and these new players comming in we will see less tippy-tappy (although it will still be there) and a more direct style of play.

Also with the return of TV we look much better at the back and i think TV and Kosc will be a solid CB pairing to base our counter attackign football on.

Am actually quite happy with the squad. The only issue i have is a lack of cover at the back (i believe signing a player like Vertonghen who can cover the back-line and DM would be a fantastic signing) and also a replacement for Fabregas. We need more creativity in the middle of the park.

If we signed Vertonghen and a top quality CM i'd be pretty confident about the season. If we topped it off with a top draw striker i'd be even more happy.

The other alternative is to convince Nasri to stay, give him the Cesc role and not bother brining in a CM, instead go for cover for the back-line and a top striker.

I think ideally for me this would happen:

We keep Nasri and sign Vertonghen and Benzema

19. leethegunner

leethegunner Member

i meant to quote the post above yours but did edit though

20. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

hahaha jokes - i was wondering what was going on lol - thought i must be going reatrded at one point!