1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Zamora to QPR

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cravingawin, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Roscafre, I tend to find you a little too negative but I agree on the absent fullbacks that were needed. Kelly's performance last time out was shockingly poor and should have done enough to convince Jol that we needed reinforcements. What's even worse is that I didn't even hear one fullback linked today. What happened to us signing Clyne, Simpson etc?

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Hear hear, my thoughts exactly, DR.

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

You have to wonder why Zamora was either un-willing or unable to change his style of play to fit
    into Jols tactics.
    Pavel Pogrebnyak is an unknown to most of us (bit like Orlando Sa). The club say we signed
    him, but then say for 6 months first, why don't they say it's a Loan with option to buy?

I'm sure if things don't improve the Zamora transfer may come back to bite Jol.
    Are there still players in the squad who will undermine him ?

I agree with others we should have been looking at Full backs. The only link I can remember is
    Gunter of Nottingham Forest.
    Would Jol be better off coming clean about the players the club tried to sign (ala Redknapp),
    it's not club policy to reveal this type of thing, but it might take the pressure off him a bit.

The sale of Zamora (£4m? seems cheap) means along with Johnson probably leaving in the summer that we will
    definitely have to look at getting in at least Two proven strikers in the summer unless the likes of
    Trotta can prove good enough.

4. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

SBMB fair points you are raising.

Regarding Pogrebnyak or PP it is a permanent transfer with an option I think to extend. Giving him a chance to prove himself. I don't know how much he had left on his contract but gives him a motivation to try and succeed with a prospect of a career in EPL.

On the other hand BZ was not willing to crack on. Another Bullard example of player who suddenly became too big for the club after one call for England.

The FB situation is worrying but nothing out there to buy at the moment. Kelly has not been doing that bad. I think only when Ruiz is on the right and he is left exposed with a midfield and opposite FB attacking there is naturally a problem. Hopefully Jol will realise that Ruiz at his current style of play can't defend.

There is need to spend some money in the summer given that if PP fails to materialise as a prolific striker we need 2 up front and one in the middle and a couple at the back.

5. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Think I've found the reason why it's a 6 month trial:
    Pogrebnyak said that a move to England would be difficult for his family. “If I was 20 or 23, I’d pack my suitcase and head for England without a second thought.
    “But now I have a family and I should think of them. I’ve taken advice from those close to me. All the same, it’s not so easy to move to a new country, a new league.”

So I guess both parties are going to see if it works.

I think a big pull for Zamora going to QPR was the money (one last pay-day) plus they are in London.
    Over the years the likes of Hull, Newcastle and Villa have all allegedly been in for him
    but he has turned them down due to not wanting to move North.

6. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Zamoa's gone, long live Fulham and all that.
    In fairness to Jol and echoing the comment from Madness, there really isn't a lot out there. Plus I would imagine funds might not have been available as it's a supposed sellers market.
    Please can everyone get behind Jol and the boys, we need to push on now without Zamora and his over inflated ego!

7. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

It was really a typically quiet transfer window for Fulham. We haven't done much business in January since the great escape season when Roy came in and brought in 2 or 3 players including Hangeland. We tend just to make short term and loan signings in this window: even Sidwell last year was on a 'see how it goes until the end of the season' type deal, similar to Pogrebnyak. I suspect the lack of further signings reflects the fact that Jol didn't see anything out there that was better than we already have. There hasn't been a lot of movement anywhere this month, indicating that most clubs have been reluctant to let players go.

As for Zamora - given that he came back and played a big part in our last two wins against Arsenal and Newcastle, it's a gamble. Especially when the only replacement is a guy with a dodgy knee, no Premier League experience, and who sounds like even he doubts his own ability to adapt to being in a new country. However, the relationship between Jol and Zamora clearly wasn't great. Bobby struggled to adapt to the way Jol wants to play, and Jol was forever griping away about Bob's inability to find the net frequently enough. All in all, a parting of the ways is probably best for all concerned. The fee could have been a bit higher, but we've recouped what we paid three and a half years ago for a player who's now 31 which isn't a bad bit of business. How good a deal it was remains to be seen. A win tonight would help no end.

It'll be interesting to see how Bobby does at Loftus Road. Reading the QPR message boards yesterday their fans clearly have mixed feelings about signing him. If he doesn't get off to a good start and begins to get a bit of stick at a ground where fans are as close to the pitch as they are at the Cottage it could turn very sour very quickly.

8. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Thanks for all you did for us BZ, I won't forget your part in some of those European nights... Best of luck

Moving forward how does the future look for FFC?

9. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

The thing with Bobby is that he is an arm around the shoulder type player. He needs to feel loved by the club he is at. He was loved at West Ham and did well there, he wasn't loved at Spurs and failed. If the fans get on his back too early then it could be a deal breaker for Bobby. His ear cupping to the fans almost every time he scored was embarrassing. The fans are the ones who pay his wages and if you're not doing the job you're supposed to then you deserve to come in for some criticism. The fact that Zamora is on almost half as much as Modric is on at Tottenham really is insane. 90k a week for a 31 year old striker with a history of injury problems? I think QPR may well be the next Man City.

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Don't forget that when we signed Bobby, the reaction on the old BBC 606 Fulham site was equally mixed (I was a regular lurker back then, I didn't actually start posting until the post-Roy hiatus). He was a player who I've always rated, and I was surprised by the number of people angrily posting along the lines of 'he's not worthy to unlace McBride's boots'. It took him more than a season to turn some people round, but he got there in the end. He's one of those players who contribute a lot in ways that a lot of fans simply never recognise, unless the goals are going in as well. I think that if he stays clear of injuries (a big if) he'll win the QPR fans round.

11. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Agreed with SBM and Madness, and you're right Captain, Bobby was cupping his ear the season before the Euro adventure because the fans got on his back.