1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth v Experience

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Jan 18, 2013.

1. brb

brb Guest

Everything is currently looking rosy down at Kent’s only football league club. Gillingham having maintained the position of League Two leaders for much of the first half of 2012/13 season, that was until a recent home defeat to then second placed Port Vale, who of course have only temporarily taken the crown or so the Gills supporters would hope.

You only have to look on your TV screens or turn on your radio and see via the sports sections the name of the Kent side being represented. Now I do not read the tabloids but it is quite often brought to my attention that the Gills have another near full page match spread. So what has changed at Priestfield that with the exception of Championship memories, have generally seen them as always a lower league club normally hovering somewhere between division three and four in old money.

That change came about at the start of the new season in our centenary year in the name of Gillingham Football Club. In came a self confessed Mad Dog, because he froths at the mouth, Martin Allen.

What a great and unprecidented start to the new season it was to be with the boys in blue or red as it is this season going on an unbeaten eight game run, before suffering their first defeat of the season at home to Rochdale. However, form was quickly recovered and only one further league defeat followed within their next nine league games.

So how has the man heard continually shouting his instructions from the dugout gone about this miraculous change, remembering the Gills although the occasional promotion candidates are not renowned for being top let alone picking up league titles?

In came 31 year old experienced goal keeper Stuart Nelson, replacing the much loved character of 21 year old Paulo Gazzaniga, who went to Premiership side Southampton for a substantial fee. Not a popular decision with me but one that was accepted begrudgingly as a season ticket holder for financial reasons. To be fair nearly five months on Stuart Nelson has proved to be a more secure pair of hands than Gazza but sadly lacking the Argentine’s ability to direct a missile with pin point accuracy the length of a football pitch. So surely if Martin Allen wanted to play route one football, Paulo was more suited to the role.

I now move attention from between the sticks to upfront. Waiting in the wings, recovering from a season long injury was 28 year old Adam Birchall, who was originally meant to partner Danny Kedwell before Birchall’s misfortune and now he had a new challenger for position up front with Tomlin’s departure when 36 year old striker Deon Burton was brought to Priestfield. The front man Burton, attempted to gain the position of penalty taker over Danny Kedwell with disastrous affect. But between the two Burton provided the away cover as goal scorer while local lad Keds demonstrated his better side at home. Only recently it appears that Martin Allen has found some renewed faith in Birchall but even against Port Vale not as a starter. Again with route one football does Keds and Burton both fit the same role at the same time in a starting line up.

The new manager had won the hearts of many a Gills fan seeking long awaited glory and further changes were a foot with the good signing of solid defender Adam Barrett, occupying a place in the back line at a mere 33 years of age but don’t knock it, having witnessed one of the best goal line clearances I have seen this season. While the likes of a much loved defender was loaned out to Luton Town, Connor Essam at the age of 20 to improve his fitness. I can certainly add that his lack of appearance in the first team has met with my disapproval.

This turns my thoughts now to our 19 year old defender Callum Davies, who MA appeased the fans unintentionally by selecting him ahead of Connor Essam. A great prospect this young man turned out to be and not a single supporter could fault his ability unless you had personal favourites in the Essam v Davies challenge. Where was I drawn on this affair, to be fair on middle ground both young Gills prospects fighting for a team place, certainly nothing wrong in equal competition. Now though it seems as if Callum Davies may have lost his regular team place as the manager secured the signing of 27 year old Leon Legge for the final hurdles and beyond on a two and half year contract.

Danny Jackman the Gills player of the year who had provided previous left back cover, had just signed a new one year deal in the summer but was rarely to feature in a starting line up. Questions were being asked by some of where are our previous favourites and why do they rarely feature in this so called 'team,' rotation system.

The signings were to continue and there is no denying that the experience of defensive midfielder David Wright’s seven game loan spell from Crystal Palace did help the Gills in their deserved league position but at 32 years of age I was starting to question what was happening to all our young blood. None more so as an example than that of Jack Payne, who already at 21 years of age might be getting ready to make a step up to Championship football but will he really get his chance in a Crystal Palace starting line up or just be another bench warmer gaining a cold chill throughout the remainder of the winter months, while affecting his value in not allowing him to participate in our sought out promotion to League One and upping his profile, as the eyes gaze towards the Medway Towns looking for our future prospects.

As we supposedly build a squad for League One and Gazza has gone to a Premiership side and Jack Payne is good enough for the Championship, do we continually just sell to the highest bidder. Maybe in reality it is just the deep routed disease of the modern game.

Mad Dog loves the media and when I saw reports of us not just winning league two but building a team to ‘Smash’ league one, that is talk that just reminds me of a man standing there revealing the whites of his eyes as the eyeballs roll forever skywards, shouting ‘here’s johnny’ from The Shining or was it more light hearted like a Jim Bowen sketch of ‘Super, smashing, great.’

Thoughtless words, at the very least in this supporters eyes, I assume with such comments that it means the Chairman will be able to firmly keep his cheque book hidden during the summer months.

I am sure if any Gillingham supporter had uttered those immortal words of smashing league one, then they would have been sectioned but I suppose with Mad Dog it all becomes part and parcel of the care in the community. Talking of which he does have a style about him that is likeable a personality that shines through, no pun intended to two paragraphs earlier.

Having said that, I expect some less convinced supporters have already lost money for betting against the man, especially if they bet he would be gone by Christmas. I hasten to add I was not one of those, although I will admit to having been nervous at the prospect of being dropped right in it before the New Year, so at least we have leapt the first major hurdle towards the finishing post.

Mad Dog is still here and we are now at the January transfer window, discussions this time turning back to David Wright and Jack Payne with rumours of a loan swap according to some reports. I suppose with any loan deal at least options are still there, unlike full blown commitments or am I just speaking to soon!

This indicates in my eyes that the new man in charge is going to battle is way out of League Two with age and experience and his commitment with this team to be able to compete in League One.

But what then once MA has left us in a good league standing and he moves to possible pastures new, where will our assets be with an ever aging team or will we once again be relying on how deep are the ever reliable club chairman pockets – finds cheque book still collecting dust from the league two days. Maybe that is a little unfair because the incomings have been secured with sound financial sense, while proving to build a capable side that is breaking club records.

However, a one man personal ambition may bring us instant success but what of the future, well long term contracts having been given to youngster’s Bradley Dack and Callum Davies, so that is a positive.

Sometimes I just feel supporters have very short memories, it was less than a year ago that I wrote ‘performance of the season’ with this back line now practically missing, Evans, Essam, King, Jackman of course many a supporter will not remember that night on the 21st February, when only 3,248 hardened hearts turned up against Rotherham. Yes, they did not win us promotion, hence why we are languishing here for another season but what I thought they did show was the way forward if be it with someone different at the helm. King’s departure still leaves a taint for me.

So are the new generation of supporters only interested in instant success or promotion at all costs 'as seen on Sky TV' or do they favour views in a mix of experience and youth, with the latter being the main building block at minimal cost. Well just ask the 8,000 plus that turned up to Priestfield on Saturday 12th January 2013, because they will have your answers. Certainly a stark contrast to the previous mentioned 3,428 but find success and you find the fans and that is just as important in our survival.

Yes of course I will be happy if we achieve automatic promotion by the seasons end and for a brief moment all will be forgotten like words being blown away in the Medway Stand breeze. At least within less than two years going on promises, I should be smiling even wider as MA smashes League One and I then can concentrate on the next chapter in this open book, what is life without passion and so many shades of grey, maybe I should close the book and just enjoy the ride, because one thing is for sure, I will still be here when most of the current set up have long gone.

2. Lenny38

Lenny38 Member

A very long article brb, I can't but help feel you need to change the record. So you don't like MA's push for experience. Well it's working pretty well upto now, perhaps you would rather we were mid table with your idol Hessy with barely 3,000 fans in the stadium. I preferred it with 8,500 myself. Fans want success we wouldn't be where we are today playing the kids.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Experience v Youth
    Goalkeeper I would go for exp also goalies play longer so very happy to have Nelson
    Centre half you need exp Barrett is that also Legge is a good age. Davies is young and should be in the squad but only as cover
    The back 4 is Fish, young. Barrett old, Legge right age and Martin right age.
    Midfield is more tricky but we have youth in Payne if he stays, Allen and hopefully Dack when he comes back then we have Lee , Whipdale. Will have to see Gregory more plus we could get Wright back for experince. Would like Jackman in the frame aswell.
    Upfront we have experience with Burton doing well away and Kedwell at home then we have Weston who is still young and Birchall.
    At the moment we generally have a good balance. As long as the youth players are in the frame I am quite happy.
    No doubt about Mad Dog bringing Gillingham profile up with lots of media coverage, which has to be good.
    We now have 3 home matches coming up against teams we should beat so anything less than 7 points will be dissapointing.Which should see us going back top!

4. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

In an ideal world a team full of our very own fledglings would surely be a must, whilst that future financial gain would set us up for an assault on the higher leagues like every other league club i'm sure they wish could be the case....it isn't going to happen though is it !

as lenny38 states brb, you seem to be on a mission of frustration to air your views on this matter of youth and the way martin allen goes about his business and view them more than once brb.

there will always be a section of fans that aren't happy with whatever manager regards with whatever outcome.
    get real though, martin allen is doing the business and for me is saying plenty of the right things with positive actions followed shortly after to back his comments up.

brb, i'm not sure what your gripe with what martin alllen is and what you see he's doing wrong, but i'm pretty sure he has a long term plan to combat the short term one of getting out of this division first and formost.

you might not want to hear it but....GET OVER IT and back what hasn't happened for along long while at this club fella and i don't just mean promotion !

UTG !!!

5. SirKeefy

SirKeefy Member

Have to agree with Lenny here.

Wouldn't it be magical to have a team sitting at the top of the division filled to the rafters with 20 year olds. But, this just doesn't happen unless you have a cheque book large enough to buy all the best 20-y-o's at any given time. And those people are 5 times the cost of a better older player. Simply because their 'potential' is there. We have to keep hoping that we get youngsters with potential, and sell them while that potential is still there. If we ever had any youngster good enough to win us promotion, he wouldn't be here in the first place.

Our best hope is to have a couple at any given time, decent enough to hold their own in the team. And in players like Gazza, Davies, Essam, Evans, Payne, Dack, Miller & now Allen, we have recently had some that can do that.

The fact that Gazza was sold for big money and now Jack will hopefully follow (for a good sum) is exactly what we aspire to. It is not being unfair to youth. It is giving them every opportunity to better themselves at better clubs. If we didn't give Jack this current opportunity, I would feel worse about our club for denying it to him.

And don't give me the "short term gain, long term pain" thing. If we were currently sat mid-table with 6 great youngsters in the side, Martin Allen WOULD have been sacked before Xmas, and with probably most of our fans hounding him out.

It definitely is all about the 'now' in football. And actually, it has always been so. It is why a season is made up of one year of football. It is not spread over 5 seasons. You show me a manager with a 5 year plan of developing a side and I will show you a man out of work after a year if he hasn't had instant success. Even Fergie had to buy his successes before he had the leeway to nurture the "class of 94".

So, I don't care if we go up with a team of 30's or a team of 20's. So long as we go up.

6. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

brb you talk about payne being a bench warmer at palace but you appear to propose that its ok for the likes of essam etc to warm the bench at gillingham? if he even makes the bench!

dont get me wrong I agree that we need a good blend of youth and experience is required but since we decided not to have a reserve team we have basically made it very difficult for the youth players coming through to get the experince and the chance to shine at a step up from these occassional develoment games.

all MA is doing is improving the team, yes this is at the detriment to youth but football is about winning now unfortuntly

7. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

The old adage 'That you are only as good as your last result / match / goal' rings very true in what is, a cut throat business. This season, at the moment, may not be perfect......but it's not far off it. COYG

8. brb

brb Guest

So in a follow up to my OP it now appears we are training our youth like Royal Marines, really you couldn't make it up...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/sport/2013/february/6/gills_youth.aspx?

MA goes on to state according to that article: “I don’t think they like me but recently we had a 17-year-old on the bench, Sam Muggleton.

ha ha what a surprise - not.

So how have we moved on since that original post of mine, well Jackman has gone to Kidderminster. Payne has gone to Peterborough. Wright gave us a wide berth and chose Colchester! While in midfield we brought in erm...Gregory, someone who automatically gets a place in the starting line up for an auto promotion chasing side and yet we are told by some to give him time. Sorry but it has been clearly highlighted in the past players have to be 100% fit, surely that also includes being 100% ready and prepared, you know the sort of thing, like the Royal Marines.

Some good news though since my original post is that we are still second. I call it good news because we have not dropped any lower. The bad news is we no longer have two games in hand.

9. jayGills74

jayGills74 Active Member

Quite a lot of debate on twitter last night where there were distinctly 2 camps! You have the one that i am in where i have serious concerns as to whether we can maintain a place in the top 3 based on the last few months as our 7 point lead at the top and 2 games in hand has vanished. I strongly believe our current squad is now worse off than it was 2 months ago so we have taken a huge backward step in the talent available to us! Then you have the other camp that (rightly or maybe through rose tinted glasses) point out we are 2nd in the league and well placed to go up!! Yes we are well placed but only if we pick the home form up as we cannot keep relying on away results to see us through. I got some stick for airing my views on twitter and so i am now a bad fan and should stick to my premier league team apparently!!!! I do have serious concerns as to how the last few months has panned out, but there has been way too much chopping and changing not only of the starting elevens but through the whole squad! I think we have given Port Vale the title on a plate, its certainly theirs to lose now and yes i would be happy "just to go up" but thats still a disappointment as we have been top most of the season but even then i am looking seriously over my shoulder at the teams behind us and everytime we play at home i expect us to lose!!!! Thats not the look of a promotion team!

10. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

What we currently have is a worrying situation (poor home form; squad probably worse off than before the transfer window). If our away form deteriorates, it becomes a critical situation, with the top 3 place in serious danger. If we keep winning away (something you can hardly rely on), then hopefully the home form will eventually recover, but then we have been saying that for nearly 3 months! If the latter scenario happens, we could even be looking at a title challenge again!

I guess as supporters we just have to support as loudly and as positively as we can. I think there is something in the theory that we moan and groan a bit too much at Priestfield, and maybe that makes the players nervous. Perhaps no coincidence that our away support is brilliant and always positive (I would argue we have the best away support in Leagues 1 and 2), and that it's away from home that we are really performing at the moment.

11. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

I do not think the youth v experience argument is being understood so I am going to spoil this debate by stating the b***** obvious.

There are two strands to the youth argument. First of all the economic sustainability of most league 2 teams is reliant on selling a player annually. To fetch a fee the players have to be normally under 24 because they have to be able to adapt to the faster pace of higher standard football, any older and they find it too hard to adapt. So, every league 2 side needs a couple of regular first teamers and a couple more squad players under 24 otherwise they will be in financial difficulty a season or two down the line.

Secondly, youth is relevant to whether a team is going to improve season on season. Players under 24/25 will improve year on year whereas players over 27 are almost certainly going to decline. A different set of rules apply of course to goalies. So if a team has a substantial number of "oldies" it is going to play worse next year, not necessarily a problem so long as the oldies are on short term contracts, big problem if they are on 2 yr + contracts.

Average ages are not the right way to judge the ability of the team to improve, the key is are there are reasonable number of youngsters coming through. Comparisons with premiership and Championship are pretty irrelevant too because there is a thriving market in transfers of players right into their 30s but it is not like that in league 2.

So, any fool can buck up a team by introducing a group of over 30s into it. The problem is it is usually a sign that that fool is not going to stay around long enough to deal with the consequences.

12. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Bristol . We do though have a couple of youngsters, er well they did play earlier in the season Davies and Dack when we were winning at home.
    Yes we did have some other younger players who should also have been competing for 1 st team action. Of coarse only your fav Fish has kept his place and are other biggest asset has been loaned when we needed him most.
    Mind you before people forget Hessy only started playing the youngsters when he got desperate. Surely every team in this division should have 2or3 youth players in the team.

13. bristol407

Either they do or they will go bust (unless of course they have a benefactor....some do).

14. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Ok I must admit I am being to get confused here, what are we classing as "youth" and "experience"? I ask because Fish seems to be mentioned in the youth catergory... he is 24?! The same age as Weston and four years older than Charlie Allen, which kinda blows the whole Allen hasn't brought in any "youth" players out of the water

15. bristol407

I do not think there is an absolute definition. Michael Owen probably peaked at 21. Hessy probably peaked at 35 (he only turned pro at 26). But as a rule of thumb players in their early 20s are improving and players in their late 20s are declining but goalies are different. Fish is in his second season as a full time pro and might reasonably be expected to mature much later than say Payne or Allen junior. Nobody is saying MA has gone 100% oldie but he has shifted things in that direction

16. eltorro

eltorro Member

Personally I don't think he has gone specifically looking for older players. My gut feeling is that he wanted to bring in his own players rather than use the 'inherited' squad but club has sent the wrong message to attract good youngsters buy shipping the Gills youngsters out on loan etc. The only interest is more likely to be for journey men.

17. brb

brb Guest

Adding to today's departure, I quote:

At least within less than two years going on promises, I should be smiling even wider as MA smashes League One and I then can concentrate on the next chapter in this open book, what is life without passion and so many shades of grey, maybe I should close the book and just enjoy the ride, because one thing is for sure, I will still be here when most of the current set up have long gone.

18. jayGills74

jayGills74 Active Member

Do you think Scally had enough of all out youngsters being got rid off, as they are a valuable source of income from selling them on after they have been nurtured?

19. brb

brb Guest

Difficult to tell. I don't back MA's sacking but I can never forgive him for what he did to the likes of Connor Essam, Danny Jackman, Jack Evans...probably could add Jack Payne to that list. Gazza he got away with because of Nelson's continued fantastic performances but even there what of the future now. He only brought Callum Davies back in at desperate times and Callum rose superbly to the challenge.

Where ever MA goes next he goes with my blessing, however, I would advise that team to keep Mad Dog away from ripping out the young blood.

20. bristol407

So, any fool can buck up a team by introducing a group of over 30s into it. The problem is it is usually a sign that that fool is not going to stay around long enough to deal with the consequences.
    7 February