1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth system is failing? Sort of

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Coolhand83, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Coolhand83

Coolhand83 Member

Anyone remember Fabio Borini? Still only 20, had a good spell at Swansea, buggered off back to Italy with Parma, and is now plying his trade on loan at Roma where he's scored 9 in 19 and got called up to the Italy squad and got his first cap back at the end of Feb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHDffd4eEhA

Then there's Drogs mate that nobody else claims to have heard of, Gokhan Tore. Poached by arsehole Arnesen for Hamburg last summer, he's again only just turned 20 and has played 16 times for Hamburg and been called up to the Turkey squad and gained 7 caps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X51Hjsl6xn4

Scott Sinclair. Not much to be said there, we all know who he is and his potential.

Miroslav Stoch looked a good prospect... only 22. Flogged to Fenerbahce, 10 in 19 so far this season, pacey and with a few good tricks up his sleeve. Ok so yeah admittedly he's playing in Turkey...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4-rwKovrI and a Scholes style corker here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6kCjnvC58Q

Looks like Bruma is thinking about staying at Hamburg too.

So yeah... admittedly I've cherry picked there, but 3 of them are wingers <whistle>. What's the point in us scouting the world for talents to ditch them at the first hurdle?

Thoughts ? (Bear in mind their age and the arguably better levels of coaching and experience they would have got had we kept them)

2. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

I think the word 'failing' is a little harsh, our 1st team managers are just very reluctant to give any of them a chance <laugh>.

It's fair to say we're not producing the talent that the likes of Barca are but then again... who is?

3. CFCTEL

CFCTEL Active Member

Tore is a headless chicken. Borini wanted to go back to Italy, Stoch is Okay but not good enough for Chelsea & Bruma will be back. Arnesen couldn't find a prospect if it jumped up & bit him on the arse. All he did was scour the world for the other clubs best young talents then pay fortunes to secure their services. However much money RA has spent on managers and players, it pails into insignificance compared to the amount of money Arnesen wasted!

4. Coolhand83

Coolhand83 Member

I did say "sort of" :emoticon-0110-tongu lol

5. CPofL KTBFFH

CPofL KTBFFH New Member

Borini was offered a contract and refused it.Not sure what more we could have done.

The others you mention are at a much lower standard than the Prem so difficult to evaluate really.

6. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

Coolhand--I understand your the point you are making! In reality we have a superb academy that have taken us to within an ace of the FA Youth cup final. We have had many excellent footballers who have thrived under the direction of Brendan Rodgers and have found it difficult to take the final big step to the first team! Now Brendan has gone to Swansea to further his own career, he has set them alight! He is now being touted as the new Spuds replacement for Arry when he goes to the England job!
    Dont you think we should be hunting Brendan down as our new Manager? I do!!!

7. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I think we should be doing both. We almost never give our youth a chance, by that I don't mean 15 mins every 3 weeks. Don't tell me Josh isn't ready to play regularly for us. Or Bertrand, Hutchinson and at least 3 others. But we are stuck with these same, tired old has beens who play one good game every 2 weeks and need a weeks rest for the next one.All on HUGE salaries. All the top teams in the world at virtually every sport have a blend of youth and experience. We have lots of experience. Put that situation down to very bad management over many years.
    Brendon Rogers can motivate players to give 110% every game. His team plays exciting, clever, modern football and punch above their weight.
    Iv'e said it before, but our owner is only interested in "brands " . Gucci, Prada, Mouhrino, Dolce and Gabanna, Guardiola. It has to be a "brand " name. Rogers doesn't quite fit the image, mores the pity.

8. bluemoon2

Spot on CP! If only he could see it! Surely there must be advisors and those with influence who could alert him to the possibility! After all BR was on his payroll for a good few tears!

9. bluemoon2

Spot on CP! If only he could see it! Surely there must be advisors and those with influence who could alert him to the possibility! After all BR was on his payroll for a good few years!<confused>

10. AdamBanana20

AdamBanana20 New Member

You need to sort your academy out.You've let some decent players go,namely Sinclair and Jack Cork.

11. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Yep, I haven't a clue why we never gave Cork a chance in the first team. I always thought he was more than capable

12. Coolhand83

Coolhand83 Member

Reports this morning are that Mourinho is eyeing up Courtois too. Hopefully this is press bollocks... Also, when we are linked with players, I always hear mention of highly rated young players with great potential being their replacements at whatever club we are buying from e.g Tiote to Chelsea, then Adam Maher from AZ Alkmaar to Newcastle... surely it would make sense to go for them ourselves instead. Frustrating :emoticon-0108-speec

13. Varier2

Varier2 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The youth system isn't failing at all, the integration into the first team is where we suck.

14. CFCTEL

CFCTEL Active Member

Must admit, I didn't think Sinclair quite had it for the very top but would much rather see him out there than Kalou or Malouda. And to think of all this **** that hit the fan when we signed him in the first place.

15. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Our recent record in the FA youth cup suggests we have a great youth system. Problem is that they never get a chance in the 1st team.

16. Coolhand83

Coolhand83 Member

For me personally I would include the integration of players into the first team as part of that system, so that's probably why I said sort of. Plus it was an easier title :emoticon-0175-drunk