1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

youth policy

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by eltorro, Mar 8, 2013.

1. eltorro

eltorro Member

As per some of my previous post I am really concerned about the youth policy, and thus the future of the club.

Who decides if a scholar gets a contract ? If it is the current manager then, in my opinion,I think we may have a problem. His selection choices this year must be questioned, allowing real club players to leave and then bringing in loans that do not get a game before they go back.

If we are to build for the future then the chairman needs to get a grip and spread the trust else we will be left with no future talent coming from within.

2. brb

brb Guest

Some please tell me this is a set up tonight! I've got Tim on another thread talking about 'fairly versatile young defenders / holding midfielders on our books until recently??'

Then we have eltorro talking about 'youth policy'

You lot are just trying to get me in trouble. Now where is my guidance councillor Lenny - lol

3. Lenny38

Lenny38 Member

It's a trap brb...

4. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

brb - please be assured that you are not alone in questioning the wisdom of recent changes in playing staff, just perhaps more voluble and persistent!

Of course there have also been the reasoned counter-arguments, that WE don't see these players in training 4 or 5 days a week, don't know what their attitude towards the club is, and don't know what longer term plans might have been agreed between MA and the board (for that read Hessy & PS).

However I remain unconvinced that so many players that Hessy thought were showing sufficient promise to bring them into the team at the end of last season, AND to the best of my understanding and memory (I did get to see that team a couple of times) aquitted themselves meritably, are then not good enough to be developed further inside our own prgramme.

Of course we will only know the answer in a few seasons when those players have performed at different clubs, but I wouldn't mind a small wager that a good few will have performed perfectly well at Championship and L1 level.