1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Youth & Loanee Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, Aug 22, 2015.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks Cromer and IMO, Wes should only now be seen as no more than a sub. AP has shown that he's more than capable of filling the No 10 role and I'd love to see JM given his opportunity (who knows, if we get a new HC, he could well get his chance) and show fans what he's about.
    I'd love to see him come on for the last 20-30 minutes against a tiring defence .........

2. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Hoolahan & Pritchard lose form ? What form ?

JM Fan likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Drat - our under 23s have been drawn to Reading in the semi final and if they win that one they will face either Swansea or Portsmouth, who meet in the other semi final. Dates and ticket details will be released in due course. Both Swansea and Reading have fared much better than us in the under 23 league, but we've excelled in both cups!! <ok>

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

This comment from a MFW article in praise of our youngsters!

Chris says:
    4 April 2017 at 9:06 am
    Like Gary #2, I feel the turnover will be high. The twelve out of contract players have contributed little or nothing to the cause for a period of time and without exception can be dispensed with.

Having watched the under 23 team produce an excellent performance and result at Liverpool last night, it is obvious that the advancement of players like Adams, Ashley-seal, Jaiyesimi, to name but three, who were all outstanding is being held back by a log jam of expensive dead wood.

I wouldn’t be averse to any or all of those lads appearing on the bench before the end of this season.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave and of course we have had JM and Godfrey already on the bench .........[/QUOTE]

canary-dave likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I would certainly never have guessed McGrandles (Maddison is well ahead of him IMO!!!), as not seen much of him, but I really like Adams

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Oh look out!
    A Ricky van Wolfswinkel hat-trick steered Vitesse past Heerenveen on April 8

9. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

McGrandles' broken leg checked his progress for a long time but at 21 he's reaching the now or never time. He plays at CM or WR, so not really in competition with Maddison, but a talented player all the same. Ebou Adams is much more a competitive box-to-box CM with the ability to score goals as well. After Maddison, Thompson and Godfrey (and perhaps Toffolo as well), are the next prospects. It's going to be an interesting pre-season for sure.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks Rick and I'm really looking forward to pre season for a change and to see -
    a. Who comes in as HC
    b. Who gets 'culled' and who we manage to recruit.
    I'm also looking forward to seeing if any of our youf are deemed worthy of promotion, or if they will have to wait another year!!

11. RiverEndRick

Maddison decided to stay and fight for a place in the first team and two matches in four days may give him that chance this week-end. I'm pretty sure that both he and Thompson will join the Murphys next season. Godfrey is another possibility, but given that he won't be 20 until next January that's likely to be at DM or RB rather than CB. All of those and McGrandles and Toffolo are listed in the first team already. Much will depend on the new SD and HC, but others could get a chance in pre-season and cup games at least. The Development Squad now has it's own Wiki page, by the way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C._Under-23s

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Rick and yes as you say with two matches in the space of a few days, we could well see JM and Godfrey feature (Godfrey came on as sub a couple of months ago I think).
    I know he's only 17, but I wonder if we might see Middleton involved in the League Cup or similar games next season - he was in the squad for the cup replay at St Mary's???

13. canary-dave

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  15. canary-dave

Bummer! :(

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

How superb - may I ask where you're going in such a wonderful country
    and how long for? (my fave, in case you didn't know)

Anyway, as this concerns a current loan player, I'll put it on here -
    potential good news on Mitchell Dijks <ok> :emoticon-0112-wonde
    <fingers crossed>

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/...4972223?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Korcula for a week and the hotel is only a few metres from the sea!!

That would be an excellent start to his tenure if SW can persuade Dijks to stay at CR!! <ok>

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  18. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Stunning island. The smell of Aleppo pines is captivating (I hired a scooter for the day from Korčula town and had a good 'explore' on that <ok>)
    If you enjoy wine, the locally produced (semi indigenous) Pošip (po-sheep) white wine is delectable and solely in the village of Lumbarda they make a wine called Grk, which like a complete muppet, I never even tried! <doh>.
    Ferry to Orebić, on the mainland, only takes 20-25 minutes. Have a complete ball :)

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the tips Cromer - much appreciated. Not sure re hiring the scooter, but definitely want explore the island whilst I'm there.

Back on topic - it seems very much as though we may not see JM make his debut this season and as PD says, AP is beginning to regularly turn in excellent performances and I'm HOPING we don't see Wes in the starting line up on both Friday and Monday!!!!
    "Maddison, commendably, declined another loan spell in January to try and force his way into the first team picture. Managerial change does not make that any easier. Allied to Pritchard’s growing influence and the enduring class and quality of a fresh Hoolahan."
    Full article here - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...ve-to-bide-his-time-at-norwich-city-1-4971788

20. RiverEndRick

I agree with AI's comment on getting the timing right:

“It is vitally important we don’t put them in too early because they can have the worst experience ever and never come again. Sadly I have seen that happen in the past. Young players will be given a chance if I think they are ready to cope with it and I feel the team can look after them. You can really damage them if you are not careful. It is vitally important to be aware of that. There are more and more young players training with us at the moment but again, that is one of the steps along the way to breaking into the team."

Given his wealth of experience with the Everton youth set-up, AI is in a good position to make those judgments. It will be interestiong to see what role he plays in the new structure.

canary-dave likes this.