1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Young guns

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Old Timer in Cyprus, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

As I did not get to England last season and missed all the Gills games, how do you guys think Luke Rooney and Jack Payne progressed thro' 2010/11? Are they still improving or not? Discuss please.

2. Kedwell's Penalty Coach

No real change in Rooney's game from what I've seen of him and from what I've heard from other Gills fans.

Jack Payne's had a few small injuries where he has missed parts of the season but he looks like he will be a key players for us in the future.

3. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Jack Payne is a great player with a great future and Rooney, well he can be great but then he can be poor, But he needs to become a bit more consistent then he will be great.

4. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    oh sorry i thought you meant guns <laugh><laugh><laugh>

5. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Rooney done well good in Pre season last season. Hope he does this time as well and brings it through to the season.

6. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

rooney reminded me of adam miller a little at times last season always looking for the hollywood flick or bit of skill when a simple pass inside would have opened up a lot more and made sure we retained possession that said he's still young and has a lot of potential. as for j.payne didnt look as good as he did the season before, got caught in that dead midfield space where he got passed by in both attack and defence. he seems to need to be told either your an attacking cm or defensive cm before he starts, however he can play multiple positions and again has a lot of promise for a young player

7. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

Jack Payne is making good progress and will be a key player next season and unfortunately this will probably mean that his days at Gillingham are numbered but hopefully he will command a decent fee. Rooney I really can&#8217;t make my mind up over, clearly very talented and he maybe has the best shot of anyone at the club, but he is very inconsistent when starting matches and in my opinion he is not disciplined enough to play in midfield, ideally he should play behind the striker where he can get into good shooting positions but he is not the quickest either which may hold him back, I would like to see him given plenty of game time pre season, because all my criticism maybe unfair on a player who has never really been given a starting run in the side, but again I am think that maybe because no one really knows what his best position is.

8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Jack Payne did well in a midfield that underperformed all season.

Rooney still needs to learn when to run with the ball and when to pass, also he needs to keep a grip on his temper but all that said he is progressing and needs a few 90 minute games to settle in. Reserve performances have been a bit hot and cold.

9. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Both players were a little dissapointing, Payne started well but after injury was not so good. Rooney has still not been given enough matches to see if he is good enough and not sure what his best position is. Great at shooting but poor at defending.

10. Harrygillz

Harrygillz Member

Agree with gio Rooney has a cracking shot on him but from the games i've seen leaves a gaping hole for them to attack in, he needs to work on the defensive side and find a definite position. I hope j.payne will be back to his best with a full pre-season under his belt because the start of the season was very good but there was a considerable dip in form after the injury. Hopefully S.Payne gets a look in this year too as in my opinion he has bundles of potential

11. Gills79

Gills79 Member

Rooney isn't first team standard yet. Poor defensively and a lack of pace that could restrict his progress to the next level. Hope I'm wrong because his ball skills are fantastic - He's by far the best in the substitues half time mess around!