1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

York...

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Markthehorn, May 20, 2012.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Nice to see them get back into the football league.

<doh>

2. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Even better when it's at the expense of them...

3. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

This season York City had done the scum in two league games and in the FA Trophy, so on the law of averages the scum might have expected to turn the tables.

They didn't <laugh>

Welcome back York City

4. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Why do you all dislike Luton Town so much? They are so far down the ladder they are not worth bothering with.

5. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc Member

The club itself...............doesn't really bother me, just one of many nothing tinpot clubs.

The fans though, not all of them but a fair amount, are utter scum who wouldn't look out of place in Guantanamo Bay

6. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

what mitch says

7. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

They once deliberately made a loss on a replayed match which the Conference ruled that even season ticket holders had to pay for, just to make sure that York wouldn't get a penny of the proceeds.

True story.

8. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I think this game illustrates the biggest problem with play-offs. Wrexham finished 17 points ahead of Luton and 15 ahead of York. Whilst I have always had a soft spot for York, I don't think they really deserve to be promoted.

I think only teams within 8 points of the best team not to win automatic promotion should be allowed in the play-offs.

Trying to be objective Luton have missed out on the play-offs for three consecutive seasons. That must be hard to handle for people associated with the team, especially when you consider how they got relegated. On the other hand, having been to their place and felt the hate, I hope we never have to play them again.

One other thing the Luton experience shows is how good the Conference is. A former league team can no longer think that they will get promoted in their first season down. I think Hereford and Macclesfield will struggle next season.

9. Yetti

Yetti Member

well done to York. A great little club, who have been quietly going about their business in recent seasons. All the attention is on Luton, York have also missed out on the playoffs before now, so they are no less deserving.

Let's hope York can hang onto their players and that they are better run this time round.

10. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I don't agree with all of it, but you make some good points there NZ.

There is certainly a bottleneck between the Football League and the Conference, but in my opinion that bottleneck is a good thing. The clubs that go down are invariably clubs that have suffered long term financial problems, and need to go down to a level at which they can spend peanuts, restructure or pay off their debts, and rebuild. The bottleneck ensures that it's rare for a financially sound club with a long Football League tradition to go down simply due to a poor season.

At the other end of the spectrum, the clubs that go up are generally clubs that are well run. Sure, some of them are bankrolled, but they're still well run football clubs which clearly have a future at a higher level. For as long as Stevenage have some of the Graham Westley mentality and Phil Wallace pragmatism, there is no question of them dropping out of the league. Provided Crawley's owners are serious in their ambitions, you can't consider them to be anything other than a well run club. Provided Wimbledon fans continue to be serious about running the club in a sustainable way, they're not going to get themselves into a position where they're battling against the financial basketcases of League Two for Football League survival. And so on.

I will also take my luminous yellow-painted specs off (none of this tinted lark). While they are of course a bigger club, they are in a closer position to Stevenage three or four years ago than any of the other promoted clubs. There isn't too much room for them to sell extra tickets (due to stadium capacity) or raise prices (due to people simply not being willing to pay £600 or £700 per season). The TV money in League One is only £650k, which is less than the extra amount a set of League One players would expect to be paid over a set of Conference players.

So their only realistic hope of competing at the upper end of League One, and one day possibly getting back into this division, is to build the nucleus of a League One side now, in the Conference, with Conference players. And the only way you do that is by being a Conference club for a bit longer than you should be.

11. wear_yellow

For me it's the sheer arrogance of a lot of their "fans" - you cannot deny that they still have a very good support for a conference side and still have a very good away following. But the whole "we are L*ton Town and we do what we want" and all the crap about their history, but worst of all is the meathead knuckle draggers that still come out of the woodwork for some games. This whole "we are going to smash you" attitude it pitiful and does not help them at all - as NNW writes above, they need to consolidate as a very good conference club as Stevenage and Crawley did and work their way out through hard work and not through bringing in loads of players and hope they are better than the rest.
    Unfortunately they still attract too many tossers who are only interested in causing mayhem and trouble - I heard that a few of them started on a York fan yesterday whose son was silly enough to wear a York shirt. This is why I dislike themn so much...

12. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc Member

Stephen Lennon the head and the founder of the EDL is a self confessed Luton Town fan, albeit it he is banned from all LTFC games.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think the play offs in all divisions were a major improvement when they were introduced. Before the season starts you know where you have to finish to get automatic promotion and if not you are to play against the other play off contenders. How many points each of you got during the season is irrelevant. If you cannot make it into the top two are you good enough? Those that are -like West Ham get up anyway through the play offs.

The major plus factor of the play offs is it keeps the season alive for lots of clubs much longer - look at us - a poor start then we got to middling and briefly flirted with play off ambitions towards the end - fantastic

14. wear_yellow

Only reason he does not go is he would have to get through Bury Park and he is likely to get stabbed if he does - EDL were handing our leaflets at Wembley yesterday. Classy eh!

15. Yellowperil

Yellowperil Member

The Olympic Flame arrives in Luton on July 6th, no doubt to be greeted by the EDL and the fundamentalists. "I Predict A Riot".

16. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

It will disappear only to reappear on Ebay

17. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

The nearest league club to where I was born so I ought to have a soft spot for them...

18. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

As far as the hoards from the Kennel are concerned, your soft spot for them would be between your legs.......and fair game for a "L**t*n kiss".

19. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Soft, Vicrij, what are you suggesting? <whistle>

20. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

A "L**t*n kiss" is similar to a "Glasgow kiss" only lower, much lower........