1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yesterday was our...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Qwerty, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

38th competitive game of the season, just to show how it compares to a normal season, and we've W15, D9, L14. A game every 4.6 days.

We've got a two week pre-final break coming up, then only two more midweek games this season. I'm sure we might start looking a bit sharper, tactically interesting, and taking chances we might not have done before. And that we will end up landing around 11th-13th, on 45-50 points, as a lot of us predicted.

That bring us on to tomorrow's off-pitch problems. We will be in the highly enviable position of having almost no one to cut, and (presumably...) some targets. Something went wrong in January and getting it wrong twice will be more costly. That seems too obvious to need saying.

But, having one day to prepare for each match has forced us to become twice as quick at everything. The analysts and scouts have to do their thing, give it to the coaches, who have to agree a plan and how to do it, while all the medical/training/admin happens at the same time. If we have learnt from this properly then with an incredible six days to prepare we should start to look quite efficient. If we haven't, then playing in Europe/EFL Cup will have made us worse.

Last thing, it's been good that there hasn't been much serious criticism of Puel on here. Everyone will have gained something by playing a season at double speed, and throwing Puel away after that is a total waste of a year. I expect the less discerning social media pages will not be the same... but they should have a tiny bit of patience.

2. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Irrespective of nothing at all? Our all-competitions record on the following days:

Tuesday: 0 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss.
    Wednesdays: 6 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss.
    Thursdays: 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses.
    Fridays: 0 wins, 0 draws, 1 loss.
    Saturdays: 0 wins, 4 dtaws, 6 losses.
    Sundays: 7 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses.

The math is clear: if we petition the league to only let us play on Wednesdays and Sundays, we're golden. Any other day is forbidden.

3. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Puel had a depleted squad on his arrival.........a bit of gossip I have just found out about....is it was Puel's Decision not to bring in another striker I gather as he wanted to see what he already had. By the time they had a board meeting to discuss Puel's player needs it was decided it was not an urgent need for a striker and there was always the January Window.
    I think on top of this Puel's decision to change our style of play, the diamond etc, etc was probably not the best thing to do seeing as the core of the side had been ripped out. Mind you in fairness it is easy to say that with hindsight.
    I guess we will see what kind of manager Puel is in the next few weeks......he will sink or swim based on his results........

mowgli likes this.
  4. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Looks good for the Cup Final!

That Saturday one is startling though

5. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At the moment. It becomes three if Man Utd knock out Blackburn in the next round of the cup. And four if Chelsea knock out Wolves in the next round, and then also win their QF too. Although it would open up further periods of extended rests, due to having those weekends off.

6. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Well we have only one more game to damage a few more key players in, who do we risk at Sunderland considering how important it is to get three points in our relegation battle?

7. Beddy

Mind you all he ruddy players we have left are key players.......Oh wow is me.............

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I know you are a "wow!!" I do not really believe that you are that despondent, Beddy!!! You have had enough ups and downs supporting Southampton FC through the years that I am sure you can take a set back in your stride.

9. frankimus

frankimus Active Member

Our goals to Tuesdays ratio took a severe beating when Jos left

thebronze14, nice teeth and Libby like this.
  10. Beddy

To be honest ides.....I was trying to be a bit ironic.....and like Saints failing miserably.....<laugh>

11. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think I took you seriously for being a "Wow?" Maybe you are, who am I to judge if you are a "Wow" not? Your wife no doubt!!

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

No man is a wow to his wife.

13. Beddy

I asked my wife that Question Fran.......She replied.....Wow......You are being silly.......!! <laugh>

14. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

It has always astonished me just what a woman will do for the man she truly loves.

15. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Even more astonishing is what a woman will do TO a man whom she previously (at least she used to say) she loved .........