1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Yellow flag speed limit to be introduced - FIA

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by TomTom94, Oct 10, 2014.

1. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

> FIA plans to take decision on how much to slow down at yellow flags away from drivers and will be controlled. Team meeting on Saturday
    https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/520580548386119681

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116267

One of the most common things suggested in the aftermath of Bianchi's crash. It's not really certain how it will work yet though. I think major changes would have to wait until next season because otherwise you will get all sorts of problems with drivers suddenly slowing down.

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Karvitz was suggesting that it would be a limiter (like the pitlane) but I get the impression it may be more like a delta time. It will be interesting to see how it pans out - for me I prefer the limiter rather than a delta as I view the latter as being open to abuse.

3. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I can't help think there is a major flaw in this (not only because thé FIA are organising it) like for instance... I guess the drivers will have to slow down the line before a limiter or what ever is switched on. Would this not cause more accidents?

4. Smithers

Forum Moderator

It's a potential problem, but I suppose if you know where the sector begins then you would be more prepared fir it rather than coming round a corner and slowing at a random marshal post. The other thing is that in sports card they often put under a yellow slow zone because of the time lost in the sector, so you may find that it would reduce the amount of cars on track during the incident.

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

you can guarantee the first thing the teams and drivers will do is look for the loop-hole

6. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I think that given the seriousness of recent events, drivers and teams are looking for a process that they can't ignore or exploit so that something like this is less likely. Hence the discussion.

7. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Correct. If they are going to do anything it has to be an FIA controlled system.

Maybe they should use average speed camera's through a sector that has a yellow flag!?

8. Dalziel or no Dalziel

So it's pretty much the yellow safety zones at Le Mans this year?

9. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Looks like it's heading that way.