1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Xhaka confirmed

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NLDISRED, May 25, 2016.

1. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he isn't good, and on form he can give us a directness and speed of play that is sometimes lacking. Just that I feel Wenger maybe running out of patience with him considering that he has long stretches out injured, (understandably) takes awhile to get over them and return to anywhere near form, then before he can get to full fitness/form he is out again for a whole season.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

It's funny because I remember the same thing with RVP.

Constant injury problems, would take weeks and weeks to regain his match sharpness - only to get injured again. Fans were calling for us to sell him and many calling him over-rated. But when he finally sorted out his injury issues his performances improved significantly.

Wilshere is a MUCH better player than many on here seem to think. This is why Wenger puts so much faith in him. (and this is why he walks straight back into the England set-up without being anywhere near fit.)

3. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Is Santi going to be here next season?

4. TheBear

Hope so.

5. Smirnoffpriest

Definitely, or at least I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be.

6. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I know nothing about Xhaka but from the description of him as a box to box midfielder wouldn't the team above leave you a bit exposed against fast aggressive midfields? Surely you'll need Coquelin or Elneny in there?

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Pretty sure Flamini has gone to make billions from his fuel alternative.

8. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

£34million apparently - to spend that much this early on shows that Wenger clearly has a lot of faith in the lad. I've personally never seen him play so can obviously only hope and pray that he turns out to be another Denilson or Inamoto.

How much more do you reckon Wenger has been given to invest? Will he invest it?

9. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I'll be suprised if Xhaka is the only player he will sign. He's been forever chasing another CF but hasn't quite clinched the deal he's liked to. We've signed Xhaka so early that it gives us plenty of time to secure another couple players, who those are anyone's guess. Wenger is a master poker player when it comes to transfers.

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

If we get a top striker in too, then it will be a good window. Xhaka is a good signing, but last season our problem wasn't creating chances, it was finishing them.

Striker is a must this window.

11. TheBear

I wouldn't call him a box to box.

He's a DEEP lying CMF.

He's a more cross between Vidal and Xavi Alonso - only more awesome with a better name.;) Granite.

12. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

I would also call Elneny a box to box...but with the instruction to sit deep. I guess Xhaka can do the same.

13. Smirnoffpriest

Looking at some of his stats - xhaka was in the Bundesliga team of the year as a DM, had very high stats for tackling, interceptions and committed a lot of fouls as well as giving a lot of passes over 50 yards with a good accuracy rating, a good pass completion rating as well over the season. He's supposed to be physical and like the physical side of the game while being a leader.

I'd imagine he would sit back with either coq or santi and dictate/break up the play as needed, which should allow ozil and Sanchez greater freedom to cause havoc....

EDIT: hopefully!

14. lazarus20000

Good to see Wenger going back to a more traditional PL approach and get more defensively sound midfield players. We now have 3 midfielders who are good defensively and can play a proper DM role. We can even play two deep lying mids in a more defensive formation or opt for a more sound counter attacking game.

It should make us a more tougher team to breakdown, yet maintain our attacking flair and give players like Ozil protection. I can only see Ozil flourish more with someone like Xhaka.

15. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

El neny needs to hit the gym though. Needs to improve his upper body strength

16. Smirnoffpriest

What I think is just as promising is that we finally have the ability to adapt based on the opposition while regardless of the combination we choose we should have players who are comfortable on the ball, able to turn defence into attack quickly, while being physical/defensive enough not to be caught out on the counter and being able to stop attacks/make tackles.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  17. Smirnoffpriest

I suppose it's the same with Ozil and a few other players, it'll just take him a good pre-season to bulk up to the different demands of the Prem. Must be quite different to the Swiss league!

18. TheBear

My hope is that Wenger goes back to his old approach. Move away from small technical ballplayers and place a greater importance on speed and power. Like he used to.

Its what he knows.. and was never broken so I have no idea why he tried to change things. (The success of Spain and Barcelona of course played a part) - But Wenger had a formula and it worked.

Xhaka is exactly what we need and Im loving the sound of Koulibaly and Morata at Arsenal.

We would suddenly have a side with pace, power and technical ability. Could be like watching the old Arsenal again.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  19. lazarus20000

I agree. I think he needs to bring back the winning formular that he previously had, rather than persevere with football enlightenment. He can still produce a skillful team that is a delight to watch, but bring back the pace and power we once had.

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

+1 on the approach that Wenger is taking getting more physical players in. As mentioned having a player like Xhaka in the middle will allow Ozil, Santi, Sanchez more freedom to attack.