1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic World Of Sport - Wrestling

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by PattyNchips2, Mar 25, 2017.

1. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

this is supposed to be coming back. its supposed to be less theatrical than the yanks version.
    anyone know WHEN?
    I used to watch it back in the 80's...
    Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks and co.
    I went to school with CatWeasles nephew.

2. Mr. Shoes

Mr. Shoes Well-Known Member

Your mum's a wrestler.

3. PattyNchips2

and?

4. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

...ahh, the heady days of Mick McManus and Kendo Nagasaki

I once saw Big Daddy wrestle Giant Haystacks live...in Rhyl. The days when holidays were holidays, and going abroad meant Wales in a tent!

5. PattyNchips2

6. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Was made aware of the realities of this "sport" at a young age. Probably the best known highest paid wrestler at the time was Jack Pye. On holiday in Blackpool my dad took me along to see a bill which included Jack Pye against someone else well known at the time, Jim Hussey. Classic wrestling scenario of baddie versus goodie. My dad kept telling me it was all fixed, which as an obviously wiser 10 year old I confidently told him it wasn't.
    Anyway, after a few rounds Hussey's corner man (the main qualification for this was the ability to wave a towel about) hops into the ring and clatters Jack Pye with a bucket. An oldish woman then hops into the ring and pulls a hat pin of her headgear and goes for the corner man. Move on a couple of years and a wrestling bill at Brid Spa includes Pye v Hussey. In Hussey's corner waving the towel is a local "character" (or nutter, take you pick)whose party piece was putting a fair sized pork pie in his mouth and somehow managing to chew and swallow it. After a few rounds the local character grabs a bucket and attacks Pye. Into the ring hops an oldish woman who pulls a hat pin out of her headgear and goes for him...

7. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Well it wasn't all staged. At my nans house, you weren't allowed to talk at all during the wrestling, or incidentally, Crossroads, on fear of a slap.

She went to a live event, and whilst she didn't use a hat pin, she attacked giant haystacks with her handbag.

She was only a little lady, but you didn't mess with my nan.

Howden Tigress and PattyNchips2 like this.
  8. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Ask him ref ask him

9. Barchullona

Got thrown off the stage by Giant Haystacks. At a concert at Brid Spa promoted by Don Robinson, he and his brother used to do security for him.
    It was at a PJ Probably gig which had descended into the usual farce. He was late on as he didn't like the way his hair looked and had decided to wash it.
    A local tough had got on the stage and grabbed the mic off Proby informing him he was a puff and he was a better singer. Go ahead said Proby who then sat down on an amp. The "character" I mentioned in the wrestling story then got on the stage told the local tough PJ was his mate and a melee ensued.
    I was stood on a piano at the side of the stage with a mate. Someone told us get down. A voice that sounded a bit like someone who is deaf when they speak, apparently Haystacks and his brother had sligh speech impediments. I thought it was the manager, the elderly brother of a school mate, larking around and just said **** off. Next thing a hand grabs me and with a slight flick propelled me through the air, landing on top of the packed crowd. As I looked round I saw my mate hurtling towards me. General chaos, bordering on a riot ensued as Proby only managed 3 songs before the 11.45 deadline for enjoying yourselves arrived, police entered shutting off the amps to prevent this heinous crime of music going on into a Sunday happening,as Proby ran around still trying to sing. Made the national papers and everyone got a refund.
    I told my son when he was setting off at the same age, 15, to see a band at Brid Spa, think it was The Levellers, that I bet it wouldn't be as much fun as some nights I had seen there.

10. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Probably? Either it was or it wasn't!!

dennisboothstash likes this.

11. Barchullona

It was a gig by that well known singer PJ Probably. Or predictive texting or something.

Please respect the thread and refrain from pointing out errors. Ta.

Happy Tiger and dennisboothstash like this.
  12. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Good anecdote.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  13. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

No Ken Do

14. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

The Xmas special did well enough for them to commission a full series. It was decent from what at saw at Xmas.

15. Arnold_Lane_HCFC_

Arnold_Lane_HCFC_ Well-Known Member

Seems just like a co-incidence to me. Hardly evidence that the entire 'sport' was rigged. Dickie Davis would have known if it was and told us so.

Barchullona and dennisboothstash like this.
  16. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

My old man had something to do with the arrangements for some wrestling 'contest'

I can't remember the details, but I do remember him chuckling about the script for the wrestlers that was on the wall in the changing room

17. Arnold_Lane_HCFC_

Arnold_Lane_HCFC_ Well-Known Member

This has piqued my interest. How far did Giant Haystacks throw you? Where did you land?
    Once went to Madeley Street baths with my old man to watch the wrestling and that event also defended into farce. Probably.

18. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

"Gentleman" Jack Gallagher <laugh>

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  19. Barchullona

Went a fair distance, considering he just used one hand to grab hold of me and did no more than just seemingly flick his wrist. Of course
    I was travelling from an elevated position on the stage. Can't have been that great for the people whose heads I landed on but they were pissing themselves laughing so it can't have been too painful. Good job I didn't weight then what I do now.<laugh>

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Happy Tiger and Leon T Trout AFC like this.
  20. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

I recall that occasionally as a 'treat' they'd instead of the British wrestling, they'd show some of the US stuff.

I used to like the FA Cup Final stuff they'd do - the Battle Royal. Giant Haystacks breaking Bomber's ribs and all that.

Good old Dickie Davies. ITV's equivalent of 'Dishy' Des - wonder what he's doing now? Hopefully survived the YT purges.