1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

World Championship 2014 Quarterfinals and Beyond

Discussion in 'Snooker' started by [email protected], Apr 28, 2014.

1. robertmorrell74@hotmail.com

Here is my take on the quarters:

Neil Robertson v Judd Trump

This should be a great match and I can see a lot of heavy scoring. Unless one of them has a really poor day, I think this match will be very close. I think that Robertson has the slight edge and will take it 13-12.

Mark Selby v Alan McManus

Alan has done well to get this far, but unless Mark is way off his game, Mark will prove too strong. 13-7 to Mark Selby.

Barry Hawkins v Dominic Dale

Dominic is a good player but is not a regular at the Worlds anymore whereas Barry got to the final last year. Again I think that Barry will win this, but I think it'll be closer than you think. 13-10 to Barry Hawkins.

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Shaun Murphy

Shaun is one of those who can give Ronnie a game or beat him. Ronnie hasn't been at his best so far so he has to buck up his ideas from now on in. I think Ronnie will improve and although I think this match will be quite close, Ronnie to take it 13-11.

So, assuming the results go according to my predictions, the semis will be as follows.

/Barry Hawkins vs Ronnie O'Sullivan

Barry I think will give Ronnie a game. However, if the final was anything to go by, I think Ronnie will win this quite convincingly. 17-12.

Mark Selby vs Neil Robertson

I think this semi will be much closer than the first. Both are excellent at safety and heavy scoring. I think both will be playing very well and I call this an almost 50-50 match. However, I give the slight edge to Neil to scrape this one. Think this one will go the full 33 frames. 17-16 to Neil Robertson.

So we come to the final - Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Neil Robertson

In my opinion, the right finalists should make it to Sunday. I think that both should be at their best and if Neil stays with the Rocket, it will go really close. I can see two possible scenarios. Neil goes nip and tuck with Ronnie but Ronnie gets enough blue water between him and Neil to win 18-15. Either that, or Neil pips in in final frame decider 18-17. I think that I will split the difference and say Ronnie to win 18-16, but like I said, it'll be close. Thoughts?

2. robertmorrell74@hotmail.com

Well, well.... I was wrong about the scores that Ronnie, Barry, and Mark. I thought Shawn would have given Ronnie a game but either Ronnie played great, Shawn poorly, or a combination. I was right that Mark would win convincingly. Neil Robertson played well to get past Judd Trump. Thought it would go full distance. Not quite but still a close match. Still think first semi will be a convincing win for O's Ullman and a much closer second semi.

3. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

That's the way she looks now Robert. Sullivan pissed into the final without playing spectacular and Selby Robertson is going to the wire I think. Either one vs Ronnie will be a good spectacle.

4. robertmorrell74@hotmail.com

Have to agree with that sentiment. Ronnie in truth hasn't been at his absolute best. He's played well in flashes and being brutally honest, Joe Perry should have beaten him in the second round. Maybe he didn't believe he could finish the job - that I'll never know. Frankly, Shawn and Barry made far too many mistakes either when trying to pot a ball to start a break, missed a pot when in amongst the balls or a safety error. Both Mark Selby and Neil Robertson can beat Ronnie if their potting boots are on and their safety is spot on. I would say the final should be a good one. Trouble is that this second semi final is pointing towards a 17-14, 17-15 or 17-16 scoreline. Ronnie, on the other hand, will have the day off, so he will be the fresher of the two finalists. This may give him an advantage. It might not make much difference though. If Selby comes through, I'm not sure if the final will be that close. I say that because for starters, Ronnie thrashed Mark 10-4 in the Masters final. Also, Mark hasn't won the World Championship (he did get to the final but lost to John Higgins). So until Mark can get the monkey off his back, I think Ronnie will win the final 18-13 or 18-14. If he plays Neil Robertson, I think that will be a closer final because Neil has won the World Championship before. Neil can't afford to start slowly and give Ronnie a 6-2 lead in the final. If he or Mark give Ronnie a big lead then it's going to be a big ask to come back from that. I would at this point say that based on Ronnie current form he will win the final either around 18 frames to 13 or 14 if he plays Selby or 18 frames to 15, 16 or 17 against Robertson. I think Robertson is the better opponent for Ronnie if I'm honest and is the more likely one to be able to beat him in the final.

5. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Selby vs O'Sullivan it is and I agree I think Robertson could give him the better game but Selby is looking pretty steady too, potting unreal well and safety is solid as always, I think it will be close and I predict a 18-15 O'Sullivan win if I had to choose but it's anyone's game.

6. LewisF12014

LewisF12014 Member

Gutted Ronnie lost

7. LewisF12014

LewisF12014 Member

Wow <laugh>