1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Working life.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Billy Death, May 18, 2017.

1. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

Over the livestock? Probably best to keep that to yourself tbf... <laugh>

salad fingers and rooch 3 like this.
  2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Retail, Bars, factories, warehouse, laboring(farm and property development) and care. Mostly worked two jobs until I started working in care.

3. Baku_mackem

Baku_mackem Active Member

While at school:
    -Glass collector at Cleadon Club, South Shields
    - Shelf stacker at Prestos
    - petrol pump lad at local Jet garage

After school:
    - civil service
    - photocopier sales
    - goldmine lab superintendent (west Australia).....long story
    - photocopier sales
    - university, recruited in final year by BP
    - Process engineer, refinery
    - project engineer, Kansas, USA
    - startup engineer, oil platform Baku
    - start up manager, Baku
    - been managing Projects in BP based in Baku since 2008

Best job looking back was Prestos shelf stacker, no stress and never had as much free cash

4. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

No mate, Coles were taken over by an American company called Groves Cranes, but they went bust after some time. The place is derelict as far as I'm aware and Liebherr is a separate entity all together.

I started out as an Apprentice Welder with Coles Cranes and had brief spells doing the same at Artix in Peterlee (now Caterpilla) I used to look at all the old guys killing themselves with welding fumes and decided to get the **** out of dodge.

Decided to chance my luck in Europe and buggered off to Holland, found a few jobs and loved the place. Had spells in Germany and Belgium then did the contracting bit back in the UK going from job to job all over the place including the north sea.

Got the chance of a job in Nigeria as a supervisor and jumped at the chance. From then on a was all over Africa, Congo, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon etc, etc.

Now back in Nigeria and my job title is Onshore/Offshore Construction Superintendent. Basically I coordinate all construction activities both on and offshore for one of the worlds major oil companies. I can't remember the last time I did any welding but often fancy giving it a go to see if I still can.

Oh, forgot to mention, Male Model and Gigolo :)

5. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Some very interesting CV's on here.

6. Baku_mackem

Baku_mackem Active Member

Good thread this like

farnboromackem likes this.
  7. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

Too old for me that lot, worked on the last Dennis dagger and sabre vehicles.
    Once they finished all fire vehicles are now built on standard lorry chassis now.

8. Billy Death

Do you do military ones as well?

9. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

1980-82 Student/Bar work
    1983 Student/Gardener
    1984 Life insurance sales (6m only!)
    1984 - 2017 Tax consultant

About it, really...

Billy Death and MrRAWhite like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

You've forgotten your stint as a monkey-juggling unicyclist & childrens party entertainer <laugh>

11. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Only other job that I have done was a week of school work experience at ASDA up Consett. Totally surrounded by women. Never heard language like it, being a shy 16 year old, I didn't half blush. Especially when I was working with some old dear on the shop floor and she asked me to pass the tampons! Stifled sniggering aplenty. :emoticon-0111-blush

MrRAWhite and Smug in Boots like this.
  12. Sammy's Silky Skills

Sammy's Silky Skills Well-Known Member

Sheet metal worker
    Lifeguard
    Holiday rep

MrRAWhite likes this.
  13. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I first started as a bairn helping the milkman on his round (no, not Ernie) when we used to jump on and off the moving milk wagon (what health & safety?), then I was a paper-boy in my 'teens' and my Mam always got her 'Shields Gazettes free :emoticon-0100-smile
    Then during the six weeks summer holiday periods (twice), as a gardener for the council, 'cos my Uncle was a Foreman for the Parks & Gardens department :emoticon-0105-wink:

I left school during A level studies to start my first 'proper' job at SPD Simonside Industrial Estate in 'Sheels, which was the start of my career in transport. After nearly four years there I took a job in the Traffic Office at Freightliners (road & rail haulage) in Wardley. After nine years there we were all made redundant 'cos they closed, and I started managing the transport department at Lowfield Distribution in Hebburn. After just a couple of years my brother in law, who had just been made redundant when Westoe Colliery closed, asked me if I fancied setting up our own transport business and, after long deliberations, we did. To cut a long story short, it lasted just over a year 'cos he was a lazy bastard. After vying for a contract to cover distribution for the whole of Teesside we closed our business just one week before this company offered us the contract . . . . and it was too late <grr>

I was 'head-hunted' for my next 'proper' job with a subsidiary of Coca Cola (Vendleader) based in Peterlee, where I managed the depot for two years, and we were the top depot in the country 'cos I was good at it (and I absolutely loved it), before leaving because of a new Regional Manager . . . . a fecking woman (feminist twat).

The two best things that I did there were to promote my mate shortly before I left and give 3 months notice . . . . 'cos I knew that they'd have to get rid of me straight away and give me 3 months pay (which is a good job 'cos after handing in my notice on the thursday I was starting a new job the next monday). I learned my lesson from giving one week's notice at Lowfield and being asked to leave immediately :cheesy:

I didn't like the next job (Transport company in Washington . . . . I can't remember the name) because of false promises so I left to be a gardener again with my Uncle Jimmy (I've been a 'short term' gardener 6 times altogether).

I then took the worst job that I'd ever had . . . . with Combined Insurance Company of America (CICA) where I stayed for 5 months. They were the only company that would insure professional sports people, and one of my assignments, which I was persuaded to take 'cos it was 'easy money' was to spend a fornight at Benwell training ground <yikes>

I met a few nice lads and the most interesting part of that was when I met Kevin Keegan (Manager then) because I was in the dressing room talking to and sitting between Micky Quinn (miserable twat) and Franz Carr (lovely lad) and in walked Curly Perm starkers (and with me being sat down guess what was at eye level !). I've called him 'Little Kev' ever since :redface:
    The company offered me the S.A.F.C. assignment to keep me there, but the job was terrible (apart from that 'easy money' one) and I couldn't stay :emoticon-0145-shake

I left there to start at Pearl Assurance, where I represented them for 11 years (earning good money in what was a relatively easy job) before becoming an Independent Fiancial Advisor in 2003 . . . . where my eyes 'were opened' because I found out that I should never have called myself an Advisor at Pearl because of the restrictions. All of a sudden I had access to 'everything' rather than just Pearl (comparatively 'rubbish') plans . . . . this is where I developed my 'love' for investments (it might sound 'sad' to some, but I discovered how to make 'real' money, doing my job of advising people properly, and it's great).

I've missed loads out, but I don't want to bore you with a long story so I won't :cheesy:

14. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Bit of variety wouldn't have hurt, mate :)

Smug in Boots likes this.
  15. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Only in there cells

Billy Death likes this.
  16. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Talking about cells, they've let Rolf Harris out of his.

I wouldn't bother giving it to anyone else though, sounds like he maybe needs another one quite soon.

17. Billy Death

Often wondered about that.

18. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Interestimg thread.

19. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

Combined Insurance Company of America (CICA) ,,,...................been with them for years ,never had any problems with any of my policies or payments on any claims,i speak as i find and they have been great in my experience.

20. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I didn't say that their policies or claims history were rubbish . . . . I said that the job was :emoticon-0105-wink: