1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Wolverhampton Wanderers @ Deepdale 26/9/2015

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Sep 24, 2015.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Wolves arrive at Deepdale on a poor run of form having started well they are nearer the relegation zone than the other end of the table. They arrive without Coady who is serving a three match ban following his sending off last Saturday, a bigger loss was Bakary Sako going to Palace add to that the injury Dicko probably no surprise they have hit a poor run of form Saying that though they still have a good enough squad of players who will probably take them closer to the top rather than the bottom.
    We do not have a good record against the Midlanders think last time we beat them at home was under Moyes about 14 years ago.
    Given the decent performance last Tuesday albeit against an under strength Premiership side, Grayson will face an interesting dilemma, Garner and Doyle are available again, Keane and Browne deserve to play after their good displays in the cup, personal view still seem to be weak at right back would give the shirt to Woods deserves a chance. Rumour Huntington injured but will find out about that on Saturday. Another bumper away support both sides could do with three points

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

It would be good to get a first home win against the Wolves. Maybe Joe Garner will remember where he left his shooting boots. Mind you, in his last two games he has hit the woodwork. So maybe he will make the adjustment by an inch, or even less, which will put him on the score sheet.

3. themaclad

We are creating chances just not taking them.

4. themaclad

A truly epic back to the wall performance saw North End draw with a very unimpressive Wolves side, the only disappointment was that visitors levelled in the first of five minutes extra time allowed by Mr Kettle.
    Having been down to 10 men following the sending off of Garner after 19 minutes they were reduced to 9 men when Wright was sent off 15 minutes from time. The Wolves goal was hard to take as was the performance of Mr Kettle. The sending harsh of Garner may have been corrected however whether Garner saw the defender is a moot point, however the official already had the red card in his hand in a split second such was his eagerness to show it. It took the gloss of North End's start leading after 10 minutes with a Johnson curler from outside the box. Garner had also gone close before he took the early bath.
    It was a case then on wait for Wolves to level, but apart from Iorfa and Henry they never remotely looked like scoring and North End roared on by a now partisan support looked the better side. Cunningham going on a mazy run before being brought down outside the box no booking for the Wolves player but the free kick from Johnson went narrowly wide.
    North End played new on loan signing Adam Reach and he had an impressive game working the flanks and chasing down Wolves attacks. North End got to half time 1 up but were penned back for long periods in the second half, bodies on the line superb defensive work by Clarke and Wright ably assisted by the rest of the team.
    Wolves made three changes Le Fondre, Ojo and Nathan Byrne and looked to attack us down the flanks with pace. The game got towards the latter stage Mr Kettle started to give out cards like there was no tomorrow, Welsh got carded for a brilliant tackle, and then Wright collected two in as many minutes and down to nine we were.
    Bizarrely we had a chance to increase the lead but Hugill's shot was well saved by Martinez in the Wolves goal. We looked to be getting close to getting three points but MacDonald goal had us holding on for a point. Afobe and Le Fondre had chances which were missed but in truth if Wolves had won it would have been a total injustice.

Preston North End 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Att 13049

Preston manager Simon Grayson: "The way they put their bodies on the line, the keeper making saves and the players working their socks off to get the three points, makes me hugely proud of what we've done.

"It's tinged with disappointment for them because the result has been taken out of our hands to a certain degree.

"Joe Garner's gone for the ball mid-air but not seen that the defender is there. There's no intent to hurt him.

"I've been in to see him (referee Trevor Kettle). I stick up for referees because I know they have a very tough job but there are certain referees that you know you're in for a tough afternoon from."

Wolves head coach Kenny Jackett: "It was tense. Obviously the red cards are the talking points of the game but I think the referee was right. I thought they were the right decisions.

"You need craft and guile but when they're down in the box sometimes you need brute force. Fair play to Preston, though, they do defend their box well and did so for an awful long time.

"We're disappointed that we haven't converted enough to win the game."

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  5. barnetpne

When I read the report, I was reminded of a certain Mr. Friend! Billy Jones got sent off even though a Burnley player took out I forget who. Some refs suffer from a certain myopia at D'dale!

6. barnetpne

Good report Mac.

7. barnetpne

Guess what! Wolves vs Fulham. Fulham down to 10 men, losing by 2 - 0. What is KJ up to?

8. themaclad

Had to laugh when I saw Fulham down to 10 obviously Wolves learnt a lot on Saturday