1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Winning or losing

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by bristolsaint, Feb 13, 2011.

1. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

I have given this a lot of thought so I am offering it out for others to ponder. Would you rather win in League 1 or lose in the Premier League? There are no other options for this question. You cannot choose to win (or lose)in the PL or Campionship, for example. There is no right or wrong answer. Me, I am enjoying winning where we are than when we lost where we were. Fighting for promotion is much more fun than being on tv lots while we are losing against manure or chelski.

2. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I am not sure what you are trying to get at bristolsaint........But hope my understanding is correct so here goes. It does not matter which team you support or which league you are in, you always want your team to win. Even when you know that the odds are stacked against you. You still cling to the hope your team will win. Same goes for promotion or just winning the league. You all want your team to be up there or there abouts. I agree on one point it would seem......that is that no I would not like to see my team on Tele lots and lots of times losing. I would like to see my team lots and lots of times giving their all and getting the result they deserve..... However as a season ticket holder at St Mary's I do see the team quite a lot and do see them get the result they deserve...beats the Tele anytime. <ok>

3. KingslandKate

KingslandKate Member

Good thread. <ok>

I'd prefer to see my team winning in League One that getting a battering in the Prem. We're constantly looking upwards, whereas in the Prem, you'd always be looking downwards.

4. Beddy

I think the Idea is in the future when we eventually get to the premiership in the future is for us not to struggle to get results and that NC wants to do more than hold our own. Just remember his earlier speeches when he expressed the desire of the Liebherr family to get this club in the top tier and compete. At the time he was asked a question regarding St Mary's itself and would he enlarge it if we got back into the premiership. I believe the reply was if necessary we will build a totally new ground. Now is that just a dream or do you think he was just saying the kind of things we want to hear?
    From my prospective he seems a straight up guy and while I think he may make St Mary's bigger, rather than a new ground, that OK by me!

5. Matt-SFC

Matt-SFC Member

Personally, think I prefer winning in League 1. I have enjoyed these last 2 seasons more than most seasons in the premiership

6. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Ladies & Gents ...we have a NEW SOUTHAMPTON MEMBER!!

A warm welcome to MATT-SFC.... <ok>

7. Beddy

Hey welcome Matt.....We all look forward to your contribution to any debate....the more the merrier!

8. Matt-SFC

Matt-SFC Member

Cheers guys <ok>

9. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

In an ideal world I would see us getting automatic promotion this year (although another Wembley win would do nicely), followed by a year or two building a promotion side in the championship. We may have rich owners but I am not sure we are a rich club. Even if we are I would hate to see us try to buy success in the way Man City and Chelski have. I believe in ML's dream of a well founded, self-reliant club with a local fan base. I don't think I want to see Saints shirts here in Bristol worn by kids who will never go to SMS and only support us because we bought success. I never saw a Chelski shirt here until a few years ago. No coincidence there. But to get back to my original point, I am thoroughly enjoying winning and fighting for promotion, even in the third tier, and look forward to the fun continuing

10. KingslandKate

KingslandKate Member

The play-offs are at Old Trafford this season, but I know what you mean! <laugh> The play-offs are only brilliant if you win them!

I'm thoroughly enjoying this (and last) season but I remember getting to a point just before we went into administration that I wasn't enjoying coming to football, because you knew you'd be seeing a deflated team, probably losing (and badly usually!) and paying good money for it.

However, I'd rather see us winning in the Prem than winning n League One!! ;)

11. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

Of course, winning regularly in the Prem is every fans dream but few will ever achieve it in these days of Abramovich and Mansoor. If every team had a billion to spend there would still be only one champion and 3 teams relegated. We need to remain realistic and, like you KK, I am enjoying this (and last) season. And the play offs should be at Wembley. I know they are at Old Trafford but that is only a club ground. There is no hallowed turf there.

12. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

What about White Hart Lane? That is Harold turf.

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

One thing for sure IMO is that any of the top ten teams in Division 1 are equal or better than the bottom ten in the Championship, the problem with getting promotion, you still need a stronger squad to stay up.

14. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

15. Beddy