1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will They Ever Get Above Us?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Before anyone starts another war on here, this is a thread about FOOTBALL, not bloody personal poster stuff.

Both us Welsh Prem clubs lost our opening games this season and obviously the table means very little at the moment except that we are ahead on goal difference right now.

Cardiff can argue that we have a steep learning curve and a defeat away from home by what is actually a very good West Ham side was on the cards - but we can (and must) improve. In fact, the longer the game went on, that improvement had probably started but alll too late.

On the other hand, Swansea lost at home to last season Prem Champions, though for much of the game, it didn't look like it. Swansea gave as good as they got in the first half hour and should have taken a lead in to half time, but they didn't.

There's the conundrum. Cardiff are nowhere near as good as we need to be, but can and will improve. Swansea however looked to be on song from the start but could not nail it against what looked to me to be a stuttering Man Utd outfit.

With Swansea's committment to Europe this week and next, they have a tough fortnight having to play both Spurs and West Brom in the Prem away from the Liberty either side of the European games. We have Man City and Everton at home in that period.

I realise Prem survival is all that really matters this season, but the question is - having got our noses in front even with us both losing, can we take advantage and steal a march on our neighbours this next fortnight, or will Swansea be able to cope with their 4 games in 2 weeks programme?

2. SBFF

SBFF Well-Known Member

Just watched a bit of the first half of the jacks game and thought they looked very decent, enough to make me think if they had played west ham instead of us they might have got a result.
    We did improve as the game went on, but that was inevitable, having started so badly we could do little else.
    Our problem wasn't that west ham were that good (although good enough they were against us by far), just that we aren't as gelled as we should be, lots of indecisive play, and that let them, with their experience, have the upper hand and control of the game.

We will improve, I have no doubt of that, but still need a couple of players to strengthen in the weak areas.
    On a brighter note, if we had lost by only 1 goal we would be in 13th spot, then we wouldn't have felt so bad ;)

3. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I think you will steel a march on us, we will win the next game against Petrol Vouchers on Thursday in the Europa, but the most we will get against Spurs away is a draw in my view, our first win will hopefully come against West Brom, trouble is yesterday Bony didn't start, and Routledge should never have either, as he's way off his game, shame Laudrup didn't start Hernandez, but it's just the way it is sometimes, even Everton were stuck in the drop zone for 8 games one season, anyway your in good company with us and Arsenal!................<ok>

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well, Arsenal anyway.

Not sure you can improve on that first half hour of yours to the extent that we can on ours - just an opinion.

5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Sparkey, nice to see a decent thread posted. Yep I do think you will steal a march on us. I can't see us getting anything off Spurs, WBA I think we should get at least a point, maybe a win, but would take a draw. Onto your games, going to be difficult to get anything of Man City, Everton I feel could be your first points and probably a win.

What is obvious that both our defences were poor yesterday. The problem is at this level is if you under perform, and not just against the Man U's or Chelsea of the world you will get punished. You sometimes get away with it, but thats on a very rare occasion.

6. DragonPhilljack

Trouble with our first 30 minutes, we failed to take our chances, and had we had Bony, I think we could at least got a draw, but when Manu hit us on the counter attack, we lost our shape defensively, Ash and Chico both were not at their best, and cost us two goals, last year we marked VP out of the game, Saturday we were hopeless at closing him down, after conceding those two early goals, it was game over, shame we went on to make it a bad scoreline.

I think you will need at least six games for your players to get up to the pace of the prem, not all your players will but most I suspect should, and those you've brought in, should keep things respectable, but if your players do not view every game as a cup final, then you could be in trouble!...........<ok>

7. snlk/poksnbn

snlk/poksnbn Active Member

Spark!
    Fair play to them I think they will have a good run in Europe and I couldn't be more pleased. I said a while ago that their European venture was beneficial to us this year and that this is probably the best time for us to be playing them in the Premiership. I'm not saying we are going to take six points from them this season just that fixture backlog will be a bonus to us. I think they will fall away at the start.

8. EldonBluebird

EldonBluebird Active Member

Defensively we have to improve dramatically, Things to work on and hopefully improve.

Watched the Swansea game and DPJ i think your being a bit harsh on your centre backs they came up against an on form RVP who would have lead most of the worlds best defenders a merry dance yesterday.

Strangely you seemed to lack width yesterday and i have to agree with Routledge he looked a yard slower yesterday.
    Good luck with putting up with those PLASTIC Man ure fans gloating (i hate PLASTICS) <laugh>

Being of an optimistic nature i always believe we will win but yesterday i was pissed off with the lack of belief, In this league you need that bit of individualism (RVP) and ability to take a man on and create chances, have we got anybody that can do that yet ???

9. DragonPhilljack

Eldon last season, we had Ben Davies and Leon to tag RVP, but yesterday he lost his marker so easily, that I really could not say who was supposed to keep him company, but maybe I'm being hard on our CB's, but Williams and Chico are better than that, but I'm not too sure whether Williams should be Captain.

Regarding our width, I think that was down to Manu matching our wide boys to some extent, which squeezed our wing play at times, though Routledge didn't help, not sure what's up with him, heard a rumour he's home sick, and wants to move back to London, hope it's not true.

Bellamy can create chances and definitely has the ability to take on a man, just need him to stay fit!...............<ok>

10. EldonBluebird

RVP was top quality yesterday his movement and ability to ghost into the space between the 2 CBs was outstanding so i saw it as excellent forward play not bad defending.

Bellamy is stifled quickly in this league we need others to step up and beat a man, As all teams in this league are a step up defensively.

11. DragonPhilljack

Maybe your right, though we had him boxed up well last season, trouble is with a player like him, you have to put two players on him, as he's a real handful, looks like he could be in for a great season.

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Keep it going please lads - I've got to log out for the rest of the evening. <ok>

13. Ffsdon'tpassittohim

Ffsdon'tpassittohim Well-Known Member

Eldon well mate you would have p****D yourself laughing then when Kev welcomed the 'travelling' Manure fans with '' I'd like to welcome the Man Utd fans after their arduos trips from Neath , Bridgend and Mumbles '', they didn't seem to appreciate that for some reason.....;)

14. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

RVP he's not your typical centre forward, al la Caroll. His movement is second to none, just the way he dragged Chico out of the box, then in a flash he's got a yard on him and the ball's nestling in the net. If you ever want to study a player for his intelligent movement off the ball and how to create space them Van Persie is you man. What we can all be thankful of is that their aren't too many like RVP.

Yes the top teams have players in a similar vein but to me not as good as RVP. So once you get these teams out of the way, and to me if any team get points off the big boys then to me their always bonus points.

So NEVER be disheartened if a Man Utd, Chelsea give you a beating as were both not playing these teams, were both up against the best of the rest and you never know you might pick up one of those bonus wins against the big boys.

15. EldonBluebird

<laugh> <laugh>
    Good for him <ok>
    I will quite happily put up with the pissing taking of real rival fans when we lose, Could be a bit this year <laugh> but wont put up with any crap from plastics and living in Bristol there are shed loads, Man ure Liverpool and Chelsea being the main ones. Took a shed load of abuse off Bristol city fans when we got hammered at ashton gate last year but the silly sods then went and bet me they would finish above us <doh>

16. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Challenge them to a race home, I did yesterday but they didn't seem to like it <whistle>

I've been in service stations before and all of a sudden a coach load of Man Utd or Liverpool fans from the valleys will pull in. I've got no time for these people at all.

17. Ffsdon'tpassittohim

Outstanding :laugh:

18. Ffsdon'tpassittohim

As I believe we did last season.......

19. EldonBluebird

I have seen some pull into service stations as well, they have left just as quickly when they saw Cardiff Coaches there. No use staying anyway there was nothing left in the services anyway <whistle>

20. EldonBluebird

I dont expect 1 point from the top 3, Man ure Man city Chelsea. Hope we can gain some home points against some of the other so called top 6 clubs.

We have to target the games against those who are around us in the league.