1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Will Pochettino stay or go?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Southampton.fc/wales, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southampton.fc/wales

Southampton.fc/wales Active Member

Mauricio Pochettino's contract situation at Southampton keeps Tottenham on alert

Argentine keeps open the possibility of succeeding Tim Sherwood at Spurs by electing to wait until the summer before deciding on his future at Southampton

Pochettino is challenging Louis van Gaal, the Holland manager, at the top of Spurs’ shortlist to replace Sherwood.

Pochettino is a forward-thinking young manager of the profile that Levy has appeared to want at White Hart Lane, although the issue of working with a technical director in Franco Baldini may have to be resolved.

The departure in January of Nicola Cortese as Southampton chairman had placed Pochettino’s immediate future in doubt but positive talks have been held with Ralph Krueger, the new chairman.

On bbc gossip: The Telegraph

2. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Terry Chimes, or "Tory Crimes", the drummer that took over from Topper Headon in The Clash, is now a chiropractor in London.

That's all fact fans.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Mauricio doesn't like to get drawn into media speculation, so I won't read too much into that. I think he genuinely thinks that there is no rush when he has a year on his contract. He may be keeping his options open, but he will honour his contract. However, if he doesn't extend in the summer, the club will start looking around anyway. Would love him to sign for another two years so we can all relax though.

5. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

He'll stay for another season at least. I guess he's waiting to see if the new board as commited as he is before he signs new contract.

6. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Think that sums it up.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

And no-one can blame him for that really.

8. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

As long as he feels the board are supporting him and are prepared to buy the players required to keep "the project" on track then I do not see him moving in the summer.

Moving to Spurs and working for their infamous boss wouldn't fill many managers who are happy in their role with joy. What money will Spurs have to invest in the summer? Not much bearing in mind they wasted the best part of £100m last year

9. fran-MLs little camera

We have an unusual set up at Saints which on paper looks ideal for Mauricio. However, we aren't mind readers...he may feel it is time to move on to a bigger club, but I think we can be at the Spurs level in time...in talent, I think we are nearly there....not in individual players but as a team. MP may feel that it is time to move on for his career, but personally I think Saints are a fantastic side for him. Let's hope he agrees.

10. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure that he will remain with Southampton as much as I want him to. It seems like he is keeping the door open for other clubs to express interest, I don't think he will go to Spurs though. I could be wrong and I reaqlly hope I am but I would've liked to have seen more advanced talks on extending his contract by now.

11. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

I see no change in the club's ambition since NC left and, as I've said before, talk of tightening our belts in the transfer market through necessity is just a load of old tosh as we are in a very strong position financially. So, with these two key areas unchanged as far as MP is concerned, I'd be very surprised if he left, particularly as anyone can see just how close we are to achieving something really special with our current crop of players. He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who'd walk away from a job half done and that is precisely what he'd be doing. Conversely, it isn't called a funny old game for nothing and if he did go, the esteem that our players have for him would really worry me as I think he'd be able to turn heads that otherwise wouldn't be turned. If he goes, I think a few players will follow.

12. Southampton.fc/wales

Southampton.fc/wales Active Member

With more media speculation regarding manager and also players leaving to come before the start of the new season 14/15
    I'm not 100% sure that he will signs new contract if board are prepared to let him buy the players he require to move the club to the next level and retain our main players from moving in the summer he will sign new contract if not then likes of shaw, Adam Lallana and others will move this summer

13. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I have no idea how his contract is written up, however, I honestly do not think that Saints will allow him to talk to anyone. So for me he will be here for another season at least.
    Remember folks that the media were given quite a tough time when Cortese took over, now they have a bit more freedom they are really clutching at straws and trying to second guess what is actually going on. We must be one of the few clubs that they feel they can speculate about as they do not appear to be doing too much in regards to other clubs. Only who is buying who from us it seems!!!

14. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Everything the media predicted, for the January transfer window, came to absolutely nothing.
    Everything they say/print is just speculation. Didn't Saints reveal that the only enquiry for a player, in January, was from Arsenal, for Chambers?
    Yet if the media was to be believed, we were beaten them off with a stick.
    It's in MP's favour, for him to play contract talks down, as it may induce a better offer from the board, if and when it comes.
    I would be more concerned if the Arsenal job became vacant, as I see his style of play more suited to their players, than Spurs'. Better hope Arsene wins the FA Cup.

15. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Because there was no opportunity to see a change. Dealing in the next transfer window will show us if there is an ambition to push forward.

16. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

By this, do you mean, by how much money we spend? That may not show our level of ambition. They may still be very ambitious, but just with tighter control. If you mean by how many top players we sell, then yes I would agree.

17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Is there any one who has a bloody crystal ball?

18. fran-MLs little camera

Yes, I have....but I am not going to tell you anything!

19. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Football contracts don't really mean too much.

I think he will sign a new contract in the summer and I agree with MP that those negotiations don't need to happen until the end of the season. The main reason he will sign a new contract is that it will likely mean a delicious pay raise and you couldn't blame him.

Will it mean he will stay for more than a season? If we have another season of continuous improvement then the type of clubs who will court his services won't think twice about paying us the compensation required.

The speculation will carry on until little Southampton know their place

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Bloody hell, more stay or go rubbish. The Clash did this much better.

Staying.

EDIT: Sorry StG. Only started reading the second post after I posted my response to the first. Nice one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.