1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigans Europa League group

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by Tom_BCFC, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Rubin Kazan
    Wigan
    NK Maribor
    Zulte Waregem

Quite a decent group for us I must say, hopefully we could win a few games ;)

2. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Are you ok Tom not herd from you for a while. I've not had chance to check out the teams yet but I'll have a look and post what I see.but good to hear from you again. Keep the faith...

3. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

That looks a bit tough guys,
    Rubin Kazan are 7th in the Russian prem.
    N.K. Maribor are 1st in the Slovenian prem.
    Zulte Waregem are 2nd in the Dutch prem.
    Still I'm sure you can give them all a game especially at home. <ok>

4. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Are you f%ckin kidding me?

5. ilovedelia

No need for the swearing Cove, genuine mistake! That should read Zulte Wargrem 2nd in the BELGIAN Prem.
    Sorry for the error.

6. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

I'm cursing at the fact that you'd think we'd be capable of comming up with such a ridiculous name for a football club. That alone should've given it away it was Belgian <cheers>

7. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

I don't understand cove mate what are you saying that ILD got the spelling wrong or got the name wrong and please without the language.

8. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Spelling is correct but we Dutch tend to keep it in English rather than full Dutch like the Belgians, FC Utrecht, FC Groningen, FC Utrecht, Sports Club Heerenveen, Amsterdam Football Club Ajax, Go Ahead Eagles(yes this is a football club), Sports Club Cambuur. Or we abbreviate the whole name so everyone can pronounce it: NAC, NEC, Roda JC, PSV, ADO the Hague. But those Belgians, nah, try to pronounce Zulte Waregem, Waasland Beverenm Cercle Brugge or Germinal Beerschot.

If you ever come across an impossible club name to pronounce, highly unlikely it's from The Netherlands.

9. ilovedelia

It was a pretty basic error on my behalf 'fromtheStands', I had about 5 or 6 different club sites open and put the wrong nationality down for Zulte Wargrem. It seemed to upset Cove a bit, and I've said sorry for that. It's a bit like saying Wigan are Scottish I suppose. Anyway a daft unintentional mistake no insult intended, just need to concentrate a bit more late at night. <ok>

10. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

haha, yea staying up late at night does that to ya. But to put it in perspective, it's like saying Wigan are Irish or French, Scotland is still within the UK. It didn't upset me mate, just couldn't believe my eyes. <cheers>

11. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Ok cove mate ILD has done the right thing and apologized for something that was not done on perpose just a genuine mistake can we put this to bed and move on to the job in hand and winning as many games as we can.

12. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

So realistic speaking how far can we go in this compation say we qualify from the group into the next round.can we go all the way.

13. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Don't know much about the other teams but Rubin Kazan will probably be the most difficult game, especially for Wigan fans going to Russia, credit to them I say, If we at all manage to do what Fulham did that would be incredible but doubt it, either way looking forward to watching us in europe.

14. ilovedelia

If you can get through the group (which I think you possibly can) then why not go all the way? It's sort of sudden death after the groups so anything is possible!

15. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Off to BELGIUM on Thursday morning for our first European game - the firsts for little WIgan just keep coming. Amazingly we've sold 3500 tickets so far for that game. I'm unlikely to get to Slovenia or Russia though, unless unexpected business comes my way...

Don't fancy our chances of getting out of the group, too much is variable for us just now.

16. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Ye you could be right HP but I got to say its because of our variable way we play we can get out of the group but that's because my heart rule's my head.

17. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

The group is panning out ok! We could have beat Rubin Kazan the other night - well, to be fair it could have gone either way, but Fortune had a great chance to win it in the last minute. I could see us getting a point at their place. I'm regretting our draw at Zulte, could be important now. It was a miserable night mind.

Crucial game now is avoiding defeat against Maribor away - apparently we've sold twice as many tickets for our trip to Maribor as Spurs sold last season? Is that right?

Incidentally, that was our second home game in the Europa League which means we now officlally have a "tradition of European football at the DW". :)

18. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

If that's right about spurs and there fan base comperd to ours it just goes to show you money can`t buy loyalty if that's my correct meaning.