1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wigan Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur Match History 2005-2013

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by THFC6061, Apr 22, 2013.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Wigan Athletic host Tottenham Hotspur at the DW Stadium on Saturday 27th April (KO 15:00) in the 35th Round of the 2012-13 Premier League season.

Wigan come into the match in 18th place in the Table with 31 points, while Spurs are 5th in the Table on 61 points.

This will be the 17th time the two teams have met since Wigan Athletic gained promotion to the Premier League in the 2005-06 season.

Wigan Athletic were formed in 1932 after the demise of Wigan Borough and they gained their Football League status in 1978.

The first meeting between the two clubs came at Wigan's JJB Stadium in November 2005 and resulted in a 2-1 win for Spurs with goals from Robbie Keane and Edgar Davids. Wigan's goal was scored by Lee McCulloch late in the game.

The reverse fixture at White Hart Lane in February 2006 was a 2-2 draw with Tottenham's goals coming from Mido and Jermain Defoe and Wigan's from Andreas Johansson who had put the Lancashire club ahead twice.

Spurs also took four points off Wigan in the 2006-07 season with a 3-1 home win in November 2006 with goals from Jermain Defoe, Dimitar Berbatov and Aaron Lennon after Wigan's Henri Camara had put the Lattics ahead.

The points were shared in a 6-goal thriller at the JJB Stadium in April 2007 with a goal from Dimitar Berbatov and a Robbie Keane brace for Spurs while Emil Heskey, Leighton Baines and Paul Scharner were on the scoresheet for Wigan.

Tottenham Hotspur once again took four Premier League points off Wigan in the 2007-08 season with a 4-0 win at the Lane in November 2007. Jermaine Jenas scored twice and there were also goals for Aaron Lennon and Darren Bent.

Dimitar Berbatov scored for Spurs in the 1-1 draw at Wigan in April 2008 with Emil Heskey grabbing the equaliser.

The 2008-09 season saw Wigan take four points after a goalless draw at White Hart Lane and a 1-0 win in January 2009 thanks to Maynor Figueroa injury time winner.

Spurs beat Wigan in the FA Cup third round that season 3-1 with a brace of goals from Roman Pavlyuchenko and one from Luka Modric. Wigan's goal was scored by Henri Camara.

Maximum points were taken by Spurs in the 2009-10 season after a massive 9-1 home win in November 2009, which saw Jermain Defoe become only the third player after Alan Shearer and Andy Cole to score five goals in a Premier League match. There were also goals from Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon, Niko Krajcar and David Bentley. Wigan's goal was scored by Paul Scharner. Amazingly enough, Spurs only led 1-0 at half-time and the eight goals scored in the second half by Spurs all came within 39 minutes.

Jermain Defoe's goal and a brace from Roman Pavlyuchenko saw Spurs to a 3-0 win at Wigan in February 2010. 2010-11 was another good one for Wigan, who took four points off Spurs. They won 1-0 at White Hart Lane in August 2010 with a second half goal from Hugo Rodallega. The match at the DW Stadium was goalless.

The away fixture earlier last season in September 2011 resulted in a 2-1 win from Spurs with goals from Rafael van der Vaart after just 3 minutes and Garerth Bale after 23 minutes. Wigan pulled a goal back through Mohamed Diame five minutes into the second half, but had Steve Gohouri sent off after receiving a second yellow card.

Spurs went two goals up from Gareth Bale and Luka Modric in the first half of the match at White Hart Lane in January 2012 and Bale added a third goal before James McArthur scored 10 minutes from time to make it Tottenham 3-1 Wigan.

Wigan won 1-0 at White Hart Lane in November 2012 with Ben Watson scoring the match winning goal after 56 minutes.

Overall, Wigan have won 3 of the 16 matches played so far with Spurs winning 8 and 5 matches drawn.

Full History of Wigan Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur Matches 2005-2013

They Played for Wigan & Spurs...

Mark Bowen
    Michael Brown
    Pascal Chimbonda
    Erik Edman
    Alex Hunter
    (with Borough)
    David Gwilan Jones
    Hossam Mido
    John Moran (with Borough)
    Wilson Palacios
    Reto Ziegler

Wigan Athletic Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 2005-2013

Tottenham Hotspur Premier League Squad Numbers 1992-2013

2. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Always a pleasure to get your pre-match article THFC6061!

The thing that concerns me most about Wigan at the moment is that we're not playing in quite the carefree manner I would expect. Last couple of seasons they seem to have relished the challenge of playing their way out f the relegation zone. This time, meh - not so much.

Oh and Bale's back, and that little sod Defoe will be available, so we're probably fecked.

3. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

...and Lennon's back too.

The three of them have a combined total of 14 goals against Wigan.

4. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Jeez all that info for one game gonna miss that if we go down into Championship anyway the latics are down to our last few game and this is when we are at our most dangerous all we need to do is remember how to score and i think we got a win that we really really need. :emoticon-0105-wink:

5. Always enjoy watching you guys play - from a neutrals perspective at any rate, as I can imagine being a fan can be infuriating!!!

We really need the win to keep our CL hopes alive so hoping for a big performance from our lot and as mentioned above, we do have a virtually full squad to pick from (although missing two mainstays in Sandro and Kaboul).

However, we often seem to slip up against you and I can seeing Saturday being one of those times. You have Alcaraz out injured, but any other notable absentees?

Hope it's a decent game - two good footballing sides, so the omens are good - and that you manage to stay up, even without picking up 3 points this weekend!!! <cheers>

6. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

I think we're still hoping that Alcaraz is fit - otherwise we'll be pretty screwed!

7. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Yeah, no Alcaraz. You'll not find many Wiganers feeling optimistic now.

:(

8. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

apart from me HP like we say down at the DW,. BELIVIE <party> ha ha ha

9. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

[video=youtube;zIn08NSx0z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIn08NSx0z0[/video]

10. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Hard to take, that.

We in effect scored all four goals and managed to draw 2 each.

Well, we would have taken a point before the game, so won't be too disappointed. Figueroa's injury is a worry - we're looking thin at the back now. We should have killed it off, had enough chances - not that the ref would've allowed us to win. Will be interested to see if what looked like a stonewall penalty on Scharner should have been given.

Onwards, upwards and FA Cup Final :)

11. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Loved the YouTube segment HP. Awesome :emoticon-0148-yes:. and yes your right it is hard to take when i was certain this was a win for us and not a 2-2 draw i could`nt get my head round it when emmo gave away a own goal after scoring one him self it makes you think some whats going on do the players just loose all concentration of the game or what .:headbang:

12. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Loved the YouTube segment HP. Awesome :emoticon-0148-yes:. and yes your right it is hard to take when i was certain this was a win for us and not a 2-2 draw i could`nt get my head round it when emmo gave away a own goal after scoring one him self it makes you think some whats going on do the players just loose all concentration of the game or what .:headbang:

13. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

14. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

That's the way From, lets get our post count up.

:)

Hey, did you see this youtube one?

[video=youtube;_J97woqjcQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_J97woqjcQs[/video]

15. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Ye HP dam laptops are supposed to help you this one wouldn't let me leave the post so it posted it 3 times to show me who was in charge. i`ll try and delete a couple if i can. that's if it lets me