1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wickham makes U21s squad

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, May 23, 2011.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Wickham has made the final 23 man squad for the U21 Euros.

When you look at the quality in this side, most of who are in the first team at Premier League sides it underlines what a massive achievement it is for a lad who is still only 18!!! Look at the quality in this list of players, unbelievable. Well done Connor!

England U21s: Frankie Fielding (Derby County), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough), Alex McCarthy (Reading), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers), Michael Mancienne (Chelsea), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Jack Cork (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Sunderland), Henri Lansbury (Arsenal), Fabrice Muamba (Bolton Wanderers), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Scott Sinclair (Swansea City), Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Connor Wickham (Ipswich Town).

2. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Really is a fantastic achievement for him to be mixing it with that group of players already, next season under jewell is going to be big one for him, and hopefully with the right players providing the 'ammo' he can get the goals needed to keep us in a position where it'll be easier to keep hold of him because it's only going to get harder each transfer window.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

When you consider that he barely featured before Christmas and then played most of his games out wide, his goal tally was not half bad even this season just gone.

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Just don't tell PC!

He'll want to bang one out!

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

If he plays well in the tournament it will only add to his value and make it harder for us to keep him. In a selfish way I would rather he didn't get much match time and thus less exposure but on the other hand I also want him to get some valuable experiance at that level.

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

JWM, Has PC shown his face on here yet?

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Yeah he's called Canaries Soccer or something American like that.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I hope that american comment isn't a dig at my current location Hampy lol. You'll never catch me using that awful Soc... word, even here in the states. I can't say it, it leaves the taste of 5hit in my mouth. I actually have a t-shirt with a picture of an american football on it with the words "THROW BALL' under it which I proudly wear. Needless to say it can be the catalyst for some interesting and sometimes heated discussions with the locals.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Genius <laugh>

I see you have a team called the San Diego Sockers... Don't ask me how the American league system works though. They are in something called the Arena League, which I think means they play in Arenas like Wembley Arena as opposed to most soccer teams who play in stadiums like Wembley Stadium?

10. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

Reckon that'll add another £5 million to his value!

11. Strattonblue

Strattonblue Guest

I don't think that anybody would dare to have a dig at your location SD. I visited San Diego (albeit many years ago) and thought that it was an awesome place. Could be worse, you could live in Yarmouth...

12. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

The Arena league is the highest professional indoor american football league. The Sockers are a very succcessful indoor football team. There is a new team in san diego called san diego Flash who are in the NPSL (National Premier Soc... League) and their head coach is ex newcastle and current Fox sports pundit Warren Barton.
    Sport here in general is a bit different. Because the country is so large you don't really get away fans at matches so there is a distinct lack of banter. One good thing they have though is the draft pick of college kids every year. The team that finishes bottom in the NFL, NBA etc then get the first pick in the draft meaning they get dibs on the next best player. This prevents any team from dominating for long periods of time. Also contracts are generally honoured to the end so there is much less disruption with players moving around all the time. I sometimes wish there was no january window for us, it is an unwelcome distraction.
    If you want some unique t-shirts check out 'who are ya designs'. They even have a tractor boys one.