1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why women's football is a total joke

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintLapras, Feb 12, 2017.

1. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

How did the World Champs fare against youth boys teams in the run up to the world cup? Ladies teams would not compete in the top 10 (probably even lower) tiers of men's football. unfortunate but true.

All of the Women's international teams struggle regularly to beat boys teams (U15 /16)

It isn't down to actual physical domination as such but normally down to the finishing. The boys can be dominated but take more of their chances and are more clinical.

Remember these are U15/16 teams and the league is not boys it is men so much more physical.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

If Lincoln existed nowadays (I think there is a Phoenix club but I'm not 100% sure), they wouldn't be anywhere near the top because only the 'top' 'brands' like Chelski, Arsenal and $ity are allowed to compete for the top. Notts County were quite a good side at one stage. I saw them play against Portsmouth and they had a couple of England players. I got a selfie with one, haha. That was before I saw the club ravaged by hyenas and we were quite good.

Oh and an update, Carli Lloyd has joined $ity. What a surprise...

3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

City Ladies and their massive 1,500 support!!!

4. SaintLapras

I wonder how many of them supported $ity before they bought their way into WSL1.

In other news, Portsmouth v Southampton in the Hampshire Cup on Sunday. Given how we've been ravaged by hyenas over the last couple of seasons, I expect it'll be a close game and one you have a good chance of winning.

5. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Thought you might've been coming to join Kelly Smith's celebration game this Sunday, PL...

6. SaintLapras

**** that. Someone else can go and feed her ego.

ImpSaint likes this.
  7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

That's very cruel and very unlike the Kelly I know.

Shame, you're missing out. :)

8. SaintLapras

You know Kelly Smith personally?

9. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Yes... part of my remit as club journalist is to run Arsenal Ladies' social media, plan video content for club channels, cover their matches, carry out interviews etc. Basically their primary media contact within the club.

We've been prepping for Kelly's game on Sunday for a long time and we've got plenty lined up now. It's going to be a really good occasion, I hope!

10. SaintLapras

That's so cool.

Can you ask her why she thinks it's acceptable to publicly accuse a fellow professional player of deliberately trying to injure her and stating that the player in question isn't good enough to play in the same league as her? Because I was disgusted and lost so much respect for her when I read that.

ImpSaint likes this.

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Ah, the Abby Holmes incident? That tackle was really awful. Like, horrendously bad.

I'm sure she would agree that going public with her anger wasn't the best thing she did (in fact, she does) but we all make mistakes and rant online when we're pissed off, never mind as pissed off and hurting as she must've been at that time. But yeah, it wasn't a classy moment.

12. SaintLapras

No it wasn't. That would have been more understandable if it were straight after the match or even a day later, but it was like 2 weeks later. Surely by that point the red mist would have faded. Did she ever publicly apologise? I could perhaps regain some of my respect for her if she had.

13. - Doing The Lambert Walk

She wouldn't have even known how bad the injury was straight after or a day or so later. Only a week or two after the injury, once you've had the medical assessments and the swelling has gone down, do you really now how bad it is.

Not excusing it, it was poor form. But I can get why she'd still be angry after a week to two weeks.

14. SaintLapras

Mmmm perhaps. I'm guessing she didn't pubicly apologise to the Sunderland player though. At least a google search would suggest she didn't. Says it all. Gotta protect her brand/ego.

15. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I thought the answer to the question would be because it's played by a bunch of women. Now that I've filled my daily dose of sexism, I can bugger off.

ImpSaint likes this.
  16. SaintLapras

I'm sure you're just joking, but some of the comments on an article on the Beeb about Carli Lloyd are just horrific and make me despair.

"Women's football isn't as good as men's football". Well no **** sherlock, women's football doesn't have 92 professional clubs and 200 years of history. Though I reckon it would have been much further ahead of where it is today if not for the dinosaurs of the FA banning it from FA affiliated grounds in the 20's.

n.b. the comments that make me despair weren't those saying women's football isn't as good as men's football, I'm talking about the really awful misogynistic ones.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017