1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why Liverpool will fail again next year?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by chelsea'snewmanager, May 31, 2011.

1. chelsea'snewmanager

The celebrated club are perennial optimists but yet again their league position this year has flattered to deceive after a shocking start to the year. They come into every season with the notion that they have improved upon last season and can now make a serious challenge on the title, so it has been for the last 20 years since they last won the top flight title. Unbelievably they are still seen by the pundits as a top four club, yet have not achieved Champions League status for the past two seasons and do not challenge the league leaders at all. In fact this year they have not even been able to qualify for the Europa League, which fans believe should stand their changes of the league in good stead. But realistically they will be distracted by the chance of silverware in one of the cups, until they meet a half decent team as per usual. The infrastructure of the club is also appalling, but it is necessary to focus upon the team itself, which does not look in great shape for next year. Although Suarez, Meireles and Maxi are beginning to look the business and they have some cracking young talent (Kelly, Flanagan), the central defence does not leave opposition attackers quaking in their boots. Carragher is past it, Agger injury prone and Kyrgiakos and Skrtel are just not up to the job. There is no doubt that Dalglish will try and remedy this in the summer, but look at Liverpool’s past “big” signings: Morientes, Voronin, Carroll, Crouch, Cole, Poulsen, Konchesky, Aquilani, Lucas, Gonzalez, Keane, Dossena. WOW! At least they missed out on Barry. Moreover the talent they do have rarely lasts: Torres (well...), Mascherano, Alonso, Sissoko and Bellamy are all at other top clubs. As well as the league title, the other thing Liverpool fans have been expecting for ages is the new ground at Stanley Park, originally thought of in 2002, saying a lot about the club’s decision making. As does the appointment of Roy Hodgson, who was not given enough time (or helped by the players) and showed what he could do with a lesser WBA team in beating Liverpool at home. This is a common theme of the Liverpool team, who regularly beat big teams, but in the last two seasons they have lost 12 and drawn 10 of their matches against bottom half teams. With their worrying inconsistency, fragile squad and dodgy infrastructure, it looks like next year will be yet another season of optimism replaced by failure!

2. WymondhamCanary66

WymondhamCanary66 New Member

Hopefully they will fail

3. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

And what exactly would you have won had you not been bought out? No doubt less than what we have.

And yes we do think we will improve next year, judging by last year.

Stopped untill they meet a half decent team? Do you exclude Chelsea from that then?

Our past signings. You mean the ones with the old owners? I thought it was us living in the past! How about Suarez and Carroll?

The talent that leaves? We forced Alonso out, and we rejected Belemy - then you add Sissoko as your argument gets thin. You also mention Torres. Is that the player who we made 50 mill out of? And gave you, what, a goal?!!

Our infrastructure is excellent now. We have new, committed, owners who will slowly improve the squad. Then you have the academy producing good young players. You'v not even seen Suso, Sterling and Cody who will cut it at this level.

Sweeping generalisations is your speciality it seems.

4. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

How about a look at Chelsea.

Heart of the team are getting old. Lampard, Terry, Drogba and Anelka are all coming to the end.

Players like Boswinga, Ferreira and Malouda who just aren't that great.

No manager.

Your optimism stems from your reliance on thowing cash at everthing.

5. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

Their biggest problem will be recruiting what they need to challenge with all clubs above them looking to spend heavily but with the lure of champions league football as the carrot

6. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

True. But I do think we have enough to attract top players though, top four will be a free for all next year

7. chelsea'snewmanager

woah just because my name has chelsea in it doesn't mean i support them, my profile clearly states i'm a peterborough fan. I have a lot of respect for liverpool and they are a great club, but as you've stated it will be a free for all next year and I don't think they'll cut the mustard. I did mention that they have some good young talent coming through, but if they don't carry on the upward trend with Dalglish i'm sure players will leave.

Don't understand your exception to Sissoko either, who whenever i have seen has been great and yes it's Liverpool's fault for letting Alonso and Bellamy leave.

In response to your criticism of Chelsea (who my brother supports, therefore my interest in them), I agree that their squad is aging but Terry and Drogba have a couple of top years left. Bosingwa has had an injury ravaged time at Chelsea and Malouda has consistently performed before getting benched. They do also have a strong youth team and have had success in the youth cup, they just need to blood their youngsters early, like ManU, instead of replacing over-priced players with more of the same.

8. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Not a Chelsea depite your location being Stamford Bridge? And your name relating to the club? I think it was reasonable for me to come to that conclusion.

Closet fan maybe?

9. chelsea'snewmanager

in a fashion a closet fan, but if i'm claiming to be their new manager in my profile where would my location be?

Also it is rather funny how Hamburg are going to take all Chelsea's young talent(plus Mancienne)!

10. WhatDoesWoyWant?

They just aren't consistent enough

11. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Chavs and liverpool can forget the title

Its staying at UTD :)

12. robbieaddick

robbieaddick Member

Liverpool are pony

13. ReallyReal

ReallyReal Member

How true, it's going to be closer at the top next season than ever before, CL qualification should be fought for by six sides with the title chase being wide open.

14. Corbo

Corbo Member

Liverpool won't even get top 4, title is out of the reach for the next decade.

And thier main player for the next decade is Caroll, whch tells you alot.

15. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

I'm a United fan but I actually think Liverpool will do quite well.

Carroll is quality, much more than just a big lump upfront.

16. theresonly1gerrard

Liverpool will do the first ever English Treble.

17. Merino's Ballerina Feet

Merino's Ballerina Feet Well-Known Member

Carroll is very over rated....

18. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Liverpool would do better than Ures - and with Citeh will be a tough competition for us.

19. David Schofield

Top 4 will be same again imo

And they could be for quite time to come.

The impact of the Financial Fair Play rules may have is not entirely clear, they could be rigorously enforced, they could be meaningless token gestures.

But if they are to shape the next 10 years, ironically, they could effectively close the door on any Teams playing catch-up.

If you have to spend more, to buy better Players, but don't have additional revenues that the Champions League bring, and your Owner can't just put his hand in his pocket, how are you going to break into the established Top 4 Clubs?

20. whiteheads_and_higginbothams

Liverpool’s past “big” signings: Morientes, Voronin, Carroll, Crouch, Cole, Poulsen, Konchesky, Aquilani, Lucas, Gonzalez, Keane, Dossena.

Were Voronin, Poulsen, Konchesky, Gonzalez or Dossena supposed to be big signings???

As for Lucas, he only cost 5 million and got fans player of the year last season. wouldn't class him as a failure yet