1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why is LJ at war with the players?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by banksyisourhero, Jan 17, 2017.

1. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

After reading Wizs thread containing twitter quotes from LJ, it does seem clear not everything is completely rosey in the City changing room.

"Lee Johnson expects to learn which players he can fully trust while he continues to try to come to terms with their worst run of form since 2012."

Why Does Johnson feel the need to be at war with the players, its obvious he has fallen out with some of them, he needs his senior players on his side, the teams that do get promotion often have a squad togetherness that generally includes the manager, the last promoted City squad were clearly fond of Cotterill and there was a feeling at the club of ALL pulling in one direction.

It seems to me a lot of his problems are self inflicted. Am I reading too much in to it or is the Son a reflection
    of the Father?

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Same as my dad..
    'Johnson experienced an eight-game losing streak at Barnsley last season, while his father, Gary, went ten games without a win during his first season at the helm in 2005/06.
    Johnson added: "It happened that way at Barnsley, Bristol City did it when my Dad went through that spell and I can go back to Joe Royle at Oldham. There are a million scenarios like that.'

3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'It seems to me a lot of his problems are self inflicted. Am I reading too much in to it or is the Son a reflection
    of the Father?'

In one !

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Whatever the problems, and I know you're not a fan of LJ, but I'd hazard a guess that they're not from the same causes. LJ is a lot more personable and a lot less prone to a hand-grenade or bullying than GJ is (in my uneducated opinion of course). Something has clearly gone wrong, I don't doubt that, but I don't think it's like father like son.

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

i don't think he has the respect of the established players,and that has gone through the squad.

6. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

we are commenting on supposition and varying interpretations of what we read in the EVIL POST and twitter comments and interviews pre and post .. add in the catalyst of a extreme losing run on ours as well as the "City total team" AND THERE IS A RECIPE for any such result as you would like to imagine... not quite pure realistic speculation, more a fear of total confusion, will we wont we, will he or wont he, and the human instinct to put oneself in a box

note:-
    put oneself in a box not physically but metaphorically .. categorise I suppose

What will be will be !

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I imagine he is telling the players that they are not playing how he has instructed, and they perhaps feel what he is telling them to do doesn't feel 'natural ' to them.
    He is also probably coming down on individuals for mistakes that lead to goals - momentary loss of concentration etc.
    They may be responding with a complaint about the formation or use of subs etc, or perhaps the omission of Freeman or Tomlin - or even letting Ayling go, when it looks like he may even get to be a premiership player before all of them!

I bet it's something like that.

The thing is, at this stage the crafty players will know they have LJs position in their hands, so if they pull their fingers out and give a successful performance they may be stuck with him for longer. If however they put in an indifferent shift and lose 1 or 2 more they will seal his fate.
    Tempting, if you don't like the manager........

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Very true and has always been the case.
    Tonight is a horrible game for us anyway where Fleetwood will be well up for it and have nothing to lose. A demoralising loss may get repeated on Saturday and that may well be curtains for the Manager.

9. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Not all bad then!

10. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Im not anti LJ as such Rob and I genuinely don't feel the need to judge him on his fathers performance here.. but his tactics, substitutions and the rest have genuinely baffled me.. Someone posted about the "I tried 10 different formations in one half" comments he made and whoever posted that (my apologies, I cant remember who it was!) hit the nail on the head about him. He seems to want to be clever for clevers sake.. his powerpoint presentation to the board has suitably impressed them and he believes he can play the game the same way. I believe this data and notebook football has been found out now.

If it does have a place it needs to be complimented with a 'one tribe' mentality for the squad, it appears he wants to sit outside that group and I appreciate it is a very difficult tightrope to walk, but he seems to have fallen the wrong side now..

11. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I completely agree tbh. His team selections are bizarre.