1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Why did Swansea get away with it?

Discussion in 'Everton' started by shogs, Feb 19, 2013.

1. shogs

shogs Well-Known Member

It won't make a difference to me if they're fined/punished or whatever but surely they should have been given some sort of warning from the FA for the amount of players you 'rested' at Liverpool?

IIRC a couple of years ago Wolves were fined for fielding a weaker side at Old Trafford and were ultimately fined for it. As I've said it won't make a difference now to the result but I think it's unfair that a team should be allowed to get away with that.
    If we missed out on Europe on goal difference to Liverpool at the end of the season then I'd be furious that Laudrup came to us and fielded a strong side and just bent over backwards at Anfield and handed his players some lube before the match.

Do you think they got away with it?

2. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Do you really want a Norwich fan to contribute to this considering what has been touched on this week ahead of our meeting on Saturday? <laugh>

If Everton were to miss out on a European place this season, and Liverpool qualify within 3 points of you, and this game was pointed at for points being gained by Liverpool, then I would guess most of us Norwich fans would consider it as Karma <ok>

I do not recall Everton being punished in anyway following a result that ultimately influenced a relegation issue when they did exactly the same, indeed if memory serves me well Everton "rested" the vast majority of the first team for that game with Coventry City so they could field the strongest team possible for the FA Cup final, whereas Swansea made 6 changes (which I do not think is too excessive when there is a squad of 25 to choose from tbh). I don't know the in's and out's of the Wolves game you have highlighted so can't compare.

3. Justovertheline

Justovertheline Well-Known Member

Six changes Is over half the 1st team which Is the "Vast majority" that you slate Everton for doing In the last century so how Is It ok for Swansea and not for Everton then? Ah I know you went down...

4. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

It's a majority for sure but not a vast majority. I am not certain how many changes Everton made that day, perhaps no more than Swansea made this week. In their defence, Swansea made less changes than most PL teams make for League Cup & FA Cup games (including Norwich) and yet no-one makes any noises about it, ergo not an issue unless Everton miss out on European competition to Liverpool by a point or two, which is the "motivation" of the OP.

5. Justovertheline

Justovertheline Well-Known Member

Mind to be fair It will only be our own fault to fail for Euro qualification as the points we have thrown away this season Is nuts?

Same could be said for Norwich In 85' It was the whole season that cost you not Everton playing Coventry..And last year many say our 4-4 draw at OT lost Utd the title of course It didn't they drew other games which Is all we did??

6. powermac

powermac Member

Everton will no get into the Europa League .
    But will be in the Champions League at Totties expense ..