1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

WHO'S THE BIGGEST IPSWICH OR norwich

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Alf Hooker, May 28, 2011.

1. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Sweet jesus JWM, we got more than that for every home game in league 1!

I will conceed you were the bigger team but that is no longer the case. It's something you will need to learn to live with.
    I will also conceed the tables may be turned again one day in the future but I do not see that happening for a few years yet.

To respond to the - I can't think of any famous Norwich players kind of reference...............
    Phil Boyer, Ted MacDougal, Mick Channon, Martin Peters, Ian Crook, Chris Sutton, Chris Woods, Asa Hartford, Ruel Fox, John Fashanu to name a few.

Anyone who followed football through the 70's, 80's & 90's and can not remember any of these players must have living under a stone or walking around with their head up their own or Uncle's/aunties/sister/brothers arse <ok>

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Ted MacDougal <laugh>

He may have turned out for you, but this is about players who were famous for playing for your club not for being in a Channel 4 sitcom <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Asa Hartford, Martin Peters, Mick Channon were all at the fag end of their careers when they came to Norwich. I do remember watching Kevin "The Cat" Keelan play and he was an awesome keeper.

The truth is Thai that this arguement is like 2 bald blokes fighting over a comb! We are both roughly the same size. If Town were doing well we would be getting 30,000 every week like we did on a regular basis a decade ago. I'm a true Townie and have been going for the best part of 30 years through thin and thin!

The tables will turn again in due course but like I say the sweet bit about all this is that we have won major trophies and I have some wonderful memories that can't be taken away. I doubt in my life time that these feats will ever be accomplished again and that goes for both our clubs!

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The fact is that no-one associates Mick Channon with Norwich.

Ruud Gullit and Gazza had trials at Ipswich and George Best turned out in a Town shirt once. But we don't need to claim those because we have an endless list of players who were famous for turning out for Town including an England CAPTAIN!

No way you can win that one. Give up.

5. ThaiCanary

Probably agree with just about all of that.
    Emotions cloud any real judgement we have about each others clubs.

I am still hopefull City can get back in to Europe even for for just a few games. Teams like Norwich & Ipswich can not compete long term in the Premier (as you found out last time).

We can all either agree to disagree about who is the biggest or we can just accept in reallity, here & now, there isn't much difference apart from which league we watch our football <ok>

6. ThaiCanary

See my previous post <laugh> <ok>

7. johnnywarksmoustache

Fair Play Thai! <ok>

Harsh reality sets in once you take out all the tribalism!

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The reality is that Ipswich are the bigger club without any question, but that we are in crisis at the moment and the budgies are flying high and could be about to enter the most successful period in their history whereas we are miles off the pace. In fact, our only hope is that Lambert moves on to bigger and better things sooner rather than later...

9. ThaiCanary

I doubt it, we have already had that under Mike Walker.

10. johnnywarksmoustache

Mike "Mad Dog" Walker!

I remember him and his second spell at Norwich when he illegally approached Crook after we had signed him! Shades of stealing Paul Lambert from Colchester so you lot have plenty of previous!

I remember the look on his face when we spunked you 5-0 in the Derby! I think he got fired shortly after that and you made a master stroke of bringing in Bryan Hamilton! <laugh>

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike Walker didn't win a trophy. Does this mean you foresee that Norwich will never win a trophy, will never win a title? Will never qualify for Europe over a sustained period?

12. ThaiCanary

Agent Hamilton <yikes>

Such fond memeories <laugh> He should never have come back but to be honest he should never have left for Everton in the first place - bloody fool!

Please note I left Steve Bruce off my list of famous Norwich players, am sure you do not need to think about his header with 4 minutes to go in the Milk Cup semi at Carrow Road ;)

13. ThaiCanary

Correct, we won nothing under Mike Walker but was our most successful period - bizarre huh?

Does this mean you foresee that Norwich will never win a trophy, will never win a title? Will never qualify for Europe over a sustained period? - No idea, I can not see beyond my computer screen let alone the next 1, 2, 3 etc seasons. The answer is we will probably win more trophies, minor ones of course - league cup, championship (or it's equivilent when they change the name) but at this moment in time I would wager you would love to win the Championship despite claims it doesn't count as a major trophy <ok>

14. johnnywarksmoustache

Mike Phelan now Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant! <yikes>

My god they're all creeping out of the bloody woodwork!

15. ThaiCanary

And there really are so many more if you think about it.

I don't want to open up another can of worms between us rival fans but I think (and I stand to be corrected) we have had more international players over a longer period? Not saying that makes us bigger or better but I am suggesting that the players from Town that are well known are from a much shorter time period, whereas we have had some immense players but not all at the same time.

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Over the last few years all of our international players have been Irish! <yikes> I can't think why! <laugh>

I think on that score we are just about equal <ok>

Mariner, Mills Capt, Burley, Wark, Hunter, Beattie, Osman, Butcher Capt, Brazil, Whymark. Johnson, Dyer, Holland, Muhren, Tyjssen, Crawford, GMac, Smith, Hamilton to name but a few down the years!

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

No Thai you're miles off with that assumption - and when it comes to England internationals the difference is even more stark. Even last season though we had Fulop, Edwards, O'Dea, Delaney, McAuley, Peters, Priskin, Carson, Lambe - just off the top of my head all current full internationals - so I don't think it's a major one to shout about.

In answer to your question, I would only like to win the Championship to be back in the Premier League. The trophy is a bonus but I wouldn't call it a trophy. A trophy is the Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, Premier League or League Cup. Otherwise lets all get relegated just so we can win another trophy!

18. ThaiCanary

I can't take that answer seriously <laugh> A team like Ipswich (or Norwich) should be greatful for anything they get! We are not and will never be like Man Utd and neither are/will you <ok>

19. ThaiCanary

We like Welsh & Irish players for some reason, probably cheaper and it's easier for them to get a full cap <laugh>

20. johnnywarksmoustache

We could be here for another zillion posts and still not get anywhere! <yikes>

Fact is we are both similar size provincial clubs that will always be hovering in the Prem or Championship. We are neither big big fish or small small fish! I guess the reason we sometimes despise each other is because we can see our reflections in the mirror!