1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who would you offer new deals to?

Discussion in 'Leyton Orient' started by Simplyanosfan, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Simplyanosfan

Simplyanosfan New Member

The following have contracts expiring this summer. Vincelot has been offered something already and Cuthbert has already re-signed, so who would you keep from the remainder? For me it's the following:

Smith - release, average league 1 player at best, goes absent too often.
    Rowlands - release, age against him and can't play 2 games a week any more.
    Omozusi - keep, useful utility player at RB/CB and probably cheap
    McDonald - undecided, like his energy but would always be a back-up striker. Could be better out there.
    Cook - release, on his day very good, but too many non appearances. Prefer Cox on the left.
    McSweeney - keep, utility cover at LB, RB and possibly RM/LM if you wanted to keep a game tight.
    Butcher - Release, with Grainger coming through and Jones back to his best, wouldn't get many opportunities.
    Mooney - keep, might not score enough, but does create chances for others and links play well.

Vincelot is key for me, if we can keep him, then I think with a couple of additions, wide midfielder to replace Cook, passing midfielder to replace Rowlands we could have a good season next year.

We've got Sherrat, Lee and James as cover for central midfield (I don't think Griffith will come back) and the defence is looking fairly strong, so hopefully a promising long term loanee from the premiership for up front and Macdonald or a replacement (not sure what will happen with Symes) and on what will be a shoestring budget, we should be competitive.

2. COMEONYOUOS

COMEONYOUOS New Member

I agree with you simply, in everything there apart from Omozusi, who should never have been brought to the club in my humble opinion

Vincelot is important, he must be signed full stop.

Charlie Mac is worth a year too, his work rate is phenomenal, and I reckon hes a 15 goal a season striker with the right service

Another striker is paramount though....I dont believe we scored enough goals this season...another 12 goals in key matches would have seen us through to automatic promotion

3. Simplyanosfan

Simplyanosfan New Member

COTO, notice you've posted on the OMB about Jabo. Like you I can't understand why people want him back so bad. He's hardly set the world alight since he left and with his 1 goal every 4 games, isn't IMO the answer to our need to score more.

Liked the lad, but misses too many opportunities and at 30, he's not going to get any better.

4. BasildonO from that London

Cook and Rowlands have gone!

5. Simplyanosfan

Simplyanosfan New Member

Thought that would be the case Bas. There will be a lot of decent players around this season, because all clubs, (premiership included), will be slimming their squads down.

If those offered contracts sign, then we've basically got the same starting team which has done so well over the 2nd half of the season. Add in 1 or 2 decent signings in midfield and up front to add competition for places and we should start the season being competitive and without players having to get to know one another.

6. COMEONYOUOS

COMEONYOUOS New Member

I cant understand why Cook was released

On pure talent, he was the best player in the squad in my opinion, and could play championship football......there must be other reasons

Any guesses?

7. Simplyanosfan

Simplyanosfan New Member

Cook has had a few injuries in his career and doesn't do the hard work in covering back, that Slade likes in his wide men.

Cook has only ever played for London clubs, so at this stage in his career and with his wife working in London, what's the chance of him picking up another London club for next season. So release him from his contract, let him tout himself around and if by the beginning of next season he hasn't got a place, do him a favour and pick him up on the cheap?

8. Rizz22

Rizz22 New Member

Not suprised in the slightest by Cook going. 1 good game every 6 or 7 games and on his wage isnt what we need. He's been very disappointing in my opinion this season and needs a serious reality check if he think he can play in the championship.

9. BasildonO from that London

McSweeney,Smith,Butcher and MacDonald,also gone.

I would have liked Cook to stay.
    I've seen him do a few interviews this season on QPR,once outside of their ground,which I thought was a bit strange.

Overall,for me this is a good clearout.

10. BasildonO from that London

11. Simplyanosfan

Simplyanosfan New Member

Good blog i thought Bas.

Notice Omozusi has signed up for 1 year. Vincelot is the one I want to see put pen to paper, he looks real quality to me.

12. Turk

Turk New Member

Not 100% sure bit I believe Smith, Cook and Rowlands have been offered contracts on a reduced wage, Due to contract law stipulating that if you offer a player less than what he is on they automatically become free agents. Smith I’d keep, I’m a fan of his when he’s on his game. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be an awful lot this season. Cook won’t get Championship football and I can see him signing in a few weeks and Rowlands is settled and happy.
    Butcher I hear was released for medical reasons and not financial. Great shame if true as he’ll probably end up Blue Square.

13. Simplyanosfan

Simplyanosfan New Member

I think you're correct Turk about becoming free agents if you offer a reduced contract.

I watched Smith quite a bit this season, because he wasn't getting the goals he did 3 seasons ago. Noticed that at set pieces, whilst he would make a run from the edge of the box, most defences were watching out for him, blocking him off, or challenging with him. Guess they had him marked down as a threat and they countered it.

So I don't think he was doing anything different, it's just that the opposition now know what to expect. Thing is, if he isn't scoring goals, his general play doesn't warrant a new contract IMO. For whatever reason, he never seems close enough to the ball to be able to challenge for it and the game tends to pass him by.

Think you're right about Cook, but after his comments to the BBC where he talked about finding it difficult to get up for some games in League 1 (not news to most of us watching I'm sure), I'm wondering if he has the hunger we need?

14. Turk

Turk New Member

I sort of agree with you with Smith, I’m not convinced it was defenders wising up to his threat but more lacklustre displays.
    I’ve always thought he’d be best of playing the No10 role, he’s not the strongest in the tackle and his workrate can be at times questionable but his aerial ability either attacking or defending is a massive plus as is his link up play.

Then again he may just be an average footballer that I have a blinkered view off.

I actually appreciate Cooks honesty, and think that if he did come back he’d know this is the best he can get now and would have to go great guns to get the fans back on side.
    I’d still prefer Cox and Odubajo as the wingers though.